Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2011-07-24, 9:13pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Default didymium filters for a camera?

Hi

I just bought the new Nikon d5100 DSLR and was wondering if anywhere makes screw on filters for cameras that are didymium? The camera has HD video on it so I thought it would be good to have the filter so I can can film/photograph lampworking. The size I am looking for is a 52mm.
Thanks for your help!

Leanne
Old 2011-07-24, 11:09pm
Alaska Boro

A quick search on Google indicates that Hoya and Tiffen both make a 52 mm didy camera filter.

http://camerafilters.net/shopsite_sc...ml/page10.html

and perhaps search Amazon for other choices.....
Old 2011-07-25, 7:56am
ManBearPig

I got mine from Aura Lens. You send them a filter ring (I had an old UV filter laying around) and they send you back the ring with a didymium filter in it. If I remember correctly cost me like $40 for a 58mm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-07-25, 8:13am
da General

I got mine from Aura Lens as well - the cheapest daylight filter was about $15, then another $80 for Aura Lens to put in the didymium, plus shipping - for a 67mm one. That was about four years ago. If you can find a ready made one, it'd probably cost you less.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-07-25, 4:52pm

You could also try using a neutral density filter or an enhancing filter. I don't know if all of them are, but some enhancing filters are made with didymium glass. But you might be able to get neutral density gels fairly cheap and stock them to get the density you want. You could also try gradient ND filters so that the flame is reduced but the artist in not. A polarizer filter might also help. On occasion (non-glass shots) I've used a Lee filter holder and different gels and a polarizer to get different results. If you had a filter holder (you can also hold gels by hand) you can stack different filters and it might give you some interesting results.

Mike
Old 2011-07-27, 7:01am
ManBearPig

I tried both a ND and a polarizer on my camera and neither of them really cut the solar flare like didymium did.

I have in the past made my own filter. I had a set of cheap didymium glasses with the huge lenses (the ones made for wearing over regular glasses). I popped the lens out and held it in front of my camera lens. Took some coordination but it worked just fine (and it was free).

Old 2011-07-28, 9:49pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I tried both a ND and a polarizer on my camera and neither of them really cut the solar flare like didymium did.

I have in the past made my own filter. I had a set of cheap didymium glasses with the huge lenses (the ones made for wearing over regular glasses). I popped the lens out and held it in front of my camera lens. Took some coordination but it worked just fine (and it was free).
Oh... which means I should be able to just set my camera on the tripod with the bench mount didymium clipped to the table in front of it?

Old 2011-07-29, 7:03am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
Oh... which means I should be able to just set my camera on the tripod with the bench mount didymium clipped to the table in front of it?
Yep. That should work.

Old 2011-07-30, 6:49pm
"Sinners have soul too"

That's awesome! Thanks Cosmo!

Old 2011-08-03, 2:28am

My camera does not allow for screw on filters so what I do is tack a pair of large Dydi glasses in front of the lens when I shoot a video or a tut. Not the most practical thing but...

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2011-08-15, 9:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Londez View Post
My camera does not allow for screw on filters so what I do is tack a pair of large Dydi glasses in front of the lens when I shoot a video or a tut. Not the most practical thing but...
There is (or was) a Universal Filter Adapter that would screw into the tripod hold in the bottom of your camera and hold a filter in front of the lens. I bought one of these to use with my Point & Shoot camera.

I've done a quick web search, but I can't find the model I have. Here's one that's similar:

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...-unicam37.html

That, and the right size step-up ring (or step-down ring) should hold any size filter you own.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2011-08-15, 8:31pm
Mary Lockwood

I've done the dydimium glass lens stuck to the front of my camera trick too. Worked swell and was free.

Old 2011-08-17, 2:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
There is (or was) a Universal Filter Adapter that would screw into the tripod hold in the bottom of your camera and hold a filter in front of the lens. I bought one of these to use with my Point & Shoot camera.

I've done a quick web search, but I can't find the model I have. Here's one that's similar:

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...-unicam37.html

That, and the right size step-up ring (or step-down ring) should hold any size filter you own.

Malcolm
Good tip, thanks

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2013-12-23, 9:18am

Aura can do filter specifically for Boro too. http://www.auralens.net/p/411/agw-250-filter
Old 2014-05-06, 12:31pm
hyperT

Maybe if you stack two Hoya filters together you may get somewhere, one just wont do it
Old 2015-01-13, 7:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperT View Post
Maybe if you stack two Hoya filters together you may get somewhere, one just wont do it
Yep. I agree that one doesn't do the trick. I'm thinking more like three.