LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-08-24, 7:01pm

Default connection Questions Propane?

I'm going to have a Hot Head out side. I bought the propane tank. Now I have to get the hose and the connection for the hot head. Is there any place that I can get the connections for this? I would like to start working out side when it is so hot that the house is unbearable to work in..
Old 2005-08-24, 7:13pm
Boldly going

I'm not sure but I thought you were not supposed to use a Hot Head with propane. Anybody know for sure? I've heard of larger bulk MAPP gas tanks that you could rig up to a Hot Head using a hose, but I think propane is a no no. I could be totally wrong but I'd rather be wrong and safe.

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2005-08-24, 11:30pm
I fart diamonds

Walmart in the camping section.

Old 2005-08-24, 11:33pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin's Glass Eye
I'm not sure but I thought you were not supposed to use a Hot Head with propane. Anybody know for sure? I've heard of larger bulk MAPP gas tanks that you could rig up to a Hot Head using a hose, but I think propane is a no no. I could be totally wrong but I'd rather be wrong and safe.
Quite a few people use bulk propane with their HHs. The problem with propane on a HH is some areas have "dirty" propane (makes your beads yucky).

Old 2005-08-25, 3:25am

Shawnette's correct. You can get an 8' Coleman hose in the camping section at Wal*Mart for I believe $17.97. Plus...they have those little round canisters too in a two pack for $4.72 I think!
Old 2005-08-25, 4:08am
Professional Bead Pimp

My stepson used a HH on propane for almost a year w/o problems, until I gave him a concentrator and surface mix torch setup. He even made smaller boro objects with it w/o problems using the HH and propane.

Lowes has those hoses also, in the BBQ grille area too.

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7
Old 2005-08-25, 12:38pm

I know that I should use Mapp gas with it. Just wanted to use something out side when it gets to hot inside. I do prefer the mix of propane and oxygen. Just need to get another torch and a tank for outside. We had a large electrical storm so I don't know if the oxygen tank would be that safe outside for use torching.Any suggestions on that.
Old 2005-08-25, 2:14pm
Professional Bead Pimp

Rose,

Oxygen is NOT a flammable gas !! It is only a flame accelerator. Your tank should be safe outside, but you must protect the tank valve and regulator from getting wet.

Bill

"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7
Old 2005-08-25, 2:33pm

Bill, I was worried about it being out side. That is all. I guess that the propane would be worse if wasn't covered in some way also. So I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to go. I do have a concentrator with a minor inside. Just hope to find out what I'm going to do.
Old 2005-08-25, 4:11pm
Professional Bead Pimp

Rose,

Maybe a small garden shed ?? I've seen some fairly small and tall ones made by Rubbermaid at Lowe's.

Bill

Old 2005-08-25, 11:31pm
Fire Angel Designs

I had my local propane store make my hose for me. I took my torch so they knew what the hose was attaching to and told them how long the length of the hose need to be. Also, Arrow Springs sells the hose w/ fittings for a HH.