Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-12-09, 8:58am

Default How to make leaves on surface of bead

I see so many beads that have leaves along with the flowers and I can sort of do the flowers but my leaves always end up blobs or smears. Can someone direct me to a how to on this? Thanks!

Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-09, 12:45pm
Carpe Beadum

I always do my leaves last, and very gently heat them to get them to melt in enough to be well adhered. That helps. If I heat too aggressively or do them too early, they blob up.

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2008-12-09, 3:57pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Take two rods of green.
Take one of them, and pull the end into a sharp
skinny point (when I say sharp, I mean SHARP and pointy).

Take the other rod and put a leaf sized amount of glass down onto the
bead in the spot you want the leaf to be.
(in a blob, don't worry about it being leaf shaped).

Heat up the blob until it is soft (not melted in, though).

Take the other rod (with the sharp point) and quickly (while the
blob is still molten) pull it through the blob, from bottom to top.

This should make a leaf shaped with a gentle heart shaped bottom
and a pointy top (providing the rod was pointing enough and you
dragged it through quick enough).

If I'm making a bunch of these on a bead, I just need to make sure
to "pull" the pointy rod as I'm finishing up the leaf so it keeps the
end pointy. Then I can quickly do more blobs and more leaves.

Takes practice, but it makes some really nice leaves.

Clear as mud?

Hey, are you going to be at the meeting next Saturday??

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-12-09, 4:09pm

Thanks Karen. There are over 150 views of this request and only 2 people answered, you and another by pm. I didn't think it was any big secret. I'll try this technique!

Much appreciated,

Cheryl

Old 2008-12-09, 4:12pm
Oooooh Sparkly!

Wow, Thanks alot Karen! I am going to try this tonight.
Old 2008-12-10, 1:14am

Me too me too

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2008-12-10, 1:46am
I'm a lilac!

I don't think a ton of people are doing surface leaves right now, which is probably why so few answers! When I do them, I use a striped cane, and swipe it onto the base bead, creating a point when I pull away.

Old 2008-12-10, 4:06am
It's all good.

Hi Cheryl, Thanks Karen and Kalera for the tips I'll be trying those too.

I am still working on my leaves too, they are getting better.

Here's how I do it... maybe a this will be useful to you... I make a dot for the leaf in white or light green melt it in so it's still a little raised, then razor the center and make sure the razor line extends into the base bead. Cover with transp. green and melt that in all flat. It things work out the leaf colors will bleed into the razor line that's extending into the base color and make nice points.

However, things don't always work out. LOL! If the ends are not pointy enough, I spot heat the end of the leaf and take a tiny tungsten pick and gently push a small dent in the base bead right next to the leaf. Slowly heat the dent out and it will make a nice point.

I usually do leaves first, point up both ends (So I can choose) and then go around making the flowers. Sometimes I get carried away with flowers and cover up all the leaves... To practice them I started making beads with only leaves all over it, it's easier to see what you did later.

Good luck, Let me know if I wasn't clear on anything.

Old 2008-12-10, 5:38am
burnin' glass just becuz

i just plop on a dot (twistie or plain stringer), flatten it and then rake one end into a point with a pointy dental tool - the one with the bent hook. then i use the back of the tool to add leaf veins. i sometimes rake the sides as well. key is to melt it in slowly to keep the shape.

here's a leaf & vine tut that might help: http://www.louiseingram.ca/?page_id=97

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2008-12-10, 9:26am

Thanks for the link, Evelyn. I'm trying to find a recent beading magazine that has a how-to on making raised leaves and vines. I didn't buy the magazine but now I wish I had. I can't remember which magazine it is so I'm looking for it. I didn't think that a simple technique would turn into the search for the Holy Grail! It's not like anyone can claim that technique as their own. But I forgot that everyone's paranoid right now about sharing techniques.

I'll find it, or figure it out for myself. Most of what I know is from trial and error anyway!

Old 2008-12-10, 9:37am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsart View Post
Thanks for the link, Evelyn. I'm trying to find a recent beading magazine that has a how-to on making raised leaves and vines. I didn't buy the magazine but now I wish I had. I can't remember which magazine it is so I'm looking for it. I didn't think that a simple technique would turn into the search for the Holy Grail! It's not like anyone can claim that technique as their own. But I forgot that everyone's paranoid right now about sharing techniques.

I'll find it, or figure it out for myself. Most of what I know is from trial and error anyway!
I don't think paranoia has anything to do with it - I read your post and didn't reply because I don't know how to make them either

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-12-10, 9:45am

When I first read the post, I wasn't sure if you wanted really raised leaves, or surface leaves melted in somewhat and not encased. I do them both different.
Karen, I like youre idea and I'm going to try it too. Never thought of that! I use cane too that I make with an optic mold and the larger I want the leaves, the larger I pull out the cane. Like Kelara, I also use the swipe method and go back with my hot stringer and clean up the leaf to make sure it has a nice point.

If I'm making a very sculptural bead, I put a blob of glass on the bead making sure you don't melt in into a ball so by turning the bead over and letting the blob get long it won't. Then I take my leaf mashers and mash the glass and place it on the bead how ever I want it. I then take a razor tool and crease along the middle of the leaf to secure it. You can also pre make the leaves and add them if that's easier.

Are you still awake??? Hello.......

Old 2008-12-10, 9:50am

I guess I just thought it was such a basic technique that anyone who's not a newbie would know how to do it! And you're right, Cynthia, I wasn't clear on what I wanted. I can't post a pic because that's a no-no. I can post a pic of one I tried to make but it might fry someone's eyeballs because it's pretty hideous. I think I'm going to make a bead and a stringer of the same color and just practice, melt in, practice, melt in, pull more stringer and keep going. I'll figure it out. But I am going to see if I can find that magazine and get a back issue.

Cheryl

Old 2008-12-10, 9:53am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
I guess I just thought it was such a basic technique that anyone who's not a newbie would know how to do it! And you're right, Cynthia, I wasn't clear on what I wanted. I can't post a pic because that's a no-no. I can post a pic of one I tried to make but it might fry someone's eyeballs because it's pretty hideous. I think I'm going to make a bead and a stringer of the same color and just practice, melt in, practice, melt in, pull more stringer and keep going. I'll figure it out. But I am going to see if I can find that magazine and get a back issue.

Cheryl
You can post a link to a pic though .

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-12-10, 9:55am
Roo ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I don't think paranoia has anything to do with it - I read your post and didn't reply because I don't know how to make them either
Ditto that! No secrets here!

- Beck.

Old 2008-12-10, 10:03am

Well, I'm sure it would be ok if I posted my own pictures. Are any of these what you mean?

The pumpkin is HUGELY raised and I'm thinkin' that's not what your goin' for.
The tall vessel is mildly raised.
Tha short vessel is raised but melted in.

These are old beads from my archive pictures.

Old 2008-12-10, 10:47am

thanks Cynthia! The tall vessel has the leaves and vines I have in mind. I'm trying to figure out how to make that leaf shape. I've tried the dot and swipe thing but it just becomes a mess or the stringer gets too cold and won't come loose. Practice! There is SO much I don't know yet, and now that I'm in a position of being able to torch every day I'm trying to make up for lost time!

I think it should be noted that I am on a Hot Head which may change the dynamic of the technique.

Thanks again,

Cheryl

Old 2008-12-10, 12:04pm

I found it! My friend Christi Friesen has a column in every Bead Unique magazine, and she had an extra copy of the issue I was looking for! It's the Winter 2009 issue. Now I can go practice!

Cheryl

Old 2008-12-10, 12:37pm
Hole Challenged

I don't think paranoia has anything to do with it either.

I don’t really consider myself a beadmaker but this is how I create them on the rare occasion I do make a bead that has raised leaves.

1. Place a dot of whatever mix of color you want.

2. Use a knife to cut the dot in half.

3. Extra step if wanted … I don’t always do this but you can use a pick to pull in one end to give the leaf a better heart shape.

4. Barely heat up the side of the dot that is to be the tip of the leaf and use a thin stringer to pull it out. Don’t give the dot bead too much heat, just a glow is all that is needed. Also, the thinner the stringer the better, but it’s more important that it has a sharp tip. I added a pic of the knife and stringer I used for the leaves below. Don’t go overboard here. Also, remember … you have to give the tip of the stringer just a quick splash of heat or else it won’t stick to the dot glass to be able to pull it out. Cold glass doesn’t like to stick to warm glass … at least in my experience.

Here are a few examples, I marked the steps accordingly.

Old 2008-12-10, 12:55pm

This is an awesome thread- Thanks to all of you!
I went out of the country just after Cynthia's class at AS and can't recall a thing.
Getting this refresher on leaves, other stuff is starting to come back!

With this, I'll just ditto Melodie's quote above.....................
Old 2008-12-10, 1:27pm
Carpe Beadum

Quote:
Thanks Karen. There are over 150 views of this request and only 2 people answered, you and another by pm.
Hey, I tried to give you an answer. Sorry if it wasn't what you wanted, but it is what I do.

Old 2008-12-10, 1:32pm

Melodie, what a nice presentation you did there. You put some time into that. That was very nice of you.

Old 2008-12-10, 2:09pm

No Disa! I do appreciate your post! I was just surprised I didn't get more responses. I think I just worded it wrong so people didn't know what I was asking for. They can't read my mind, and sometimes I can't either. I'm going to try everything everyone has posted here. Thank you so much for posting your method.

Cheryl

Old 2008-12-10, 2:19pm
Carpe Beadum

No worries *S* I was just surprised about your comment.

The tall vessel that Cynthia posted is what most of my vines and leaves look like. I don't really have any other secrets than what I posted. I wait until I'm all finished with the piece, except for the leaves, and then just make a molten ball of glass at the end of my vine cane and swipe the leaves on, from the vine outward. Then, I very gently heat it, but it's usually pretty well adhered from being molten at the start, so it doesn't need much. It's overheating that wrecks those leaf shapes for me.

Old 2008-12-10, 6:27pm

Leah Fairbanks has a book with great instructons.

Flametree has it on sale too.

https://flametreeglass.com/index.php...products_id=19

Old 2008-12-10, 6:53pm

Talking

Quote:
I found it! My friend Christi Friesen has a column in every Bead Unique magazine, and she had an extra copy of the issue I was looking for! It's the Winter 2009 issue. Now I can go practice!

Cheryl
okay this made me laugh . winter of 2009
Now that is going to be hard to find.
Old 2008-12-10, 7:47pm

Actually that is the issue. It's #19, Winter 2009. I guess they mean January-ish. And I didn't realize it at first but JC Herrell has a bead in the gallery. It's a really good issue so I'm glad Christi had an extra copy.

Cheryl

Old 2008-12-10, 7:53pm

Quote:
Actually that is the issue. It's #19, Winter 2009. I guess they mean January-ish. And I didn't realize it at first but JC Herrell has a bead in the gallery. It's a really good issue so I'm glad Christi had an extra copy.

Cheryl
you know I think I need a nap now. lol I just can't believe it's 2009 already .
Old 2008-12-10, 9:37pm
Hole Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Melodie, what a nice presentation you did there. You put some time into that. That was very nice of you.
Thank you Cynthia

Last edited by Melodie; 2009-01-21 at 12:58pm.
Old 2008-12-10, 10:43pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:

Cheryl
Cool!
Please tell Christi I said Hi!
I attended KLEW's Tehachapi retreat with her ages ago
(she came and taught us to make fishies) and she was a blast!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book