LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2009-11-23, 5:18pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Default Deb's Blown Shell Tutorial is ready!

Hi everyone! I have finally gotten the Blown Borosilicate Shells tutorial done, woohoo! It is so long I had to break it into 2 parts, the ads below (Thanks Bernie!!) explain the 2 parts in detail.

You can also click on link below to get to the Shell Tutorial info page for purchasing it. Thank you all for waiting patiently for well over a year for me to have the time to write this. It took Maggie MacDonald (bless you!) and I 3 days to torch and shoot pictures. It took 2 days to link pictures and proof read, thank you Shawn, Bernie and Peg!

Then I had to go through 3,000 pictures and write 30 pages of just text. I think you will like it and and most importantly, have fun!

Doin' the happy dance (even with trees falling down around me!), hugs,
deb
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-11-23, 5:22pm

Ooooo...I cant wait to see it!
Here is a direct link to the tutorial page, it looks great!
http://debcrowley.com/gpage5.html

Old 2009-11-23, 6:11pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

Yay, Deb! Looks great!

Old 2009-11-23, 6:14pm

I sent you a PM Deb with a new email address!

Old 2009-11-23, 9:38pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Thanks Maggie, you rock!
Hugs deb

Old 2009-11-24, 12:16am
Beyond Cloud 9!

What size tubing do we need? The kid in me wants to be sure I have everything I'll need to sit down and play!

I'm so glad you did this. I didn't get to take your class at GS, so this will be great!

Hope you're recovering from the fallen tree!

Old 2009-11-24, 7:52am
Oh No You Didn't!

Ooooh, it's boro? Dang! I don't have boro.

Have you ever tried this in COE 104?

If anyone gets the tutorial and tries it in 104 and it works, could you let me know please.

Thanks,

Deb

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2009-11-24, 9:41am
Normal is Boring!!

Are the three shells at the bottom the styles in your tut you teach- Any others?

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2009-11-24, 10:04am
Wooohooo,GS!

Lisa, Hi honey! You can use about any tubing but I used 9.5 heavy wall for the handle and 18mm x 2mm for the shells, 24mm for the large conch with the spikes.
Trees still in the yard but should be able to get it cut up today if I can get the guy out here, I didn't get the chainsaw so have to hire someone with one or buy another one ;(
Thanks for asking sweetie!

Deb, it is boro but there is a whole page on doing it out of soft glass, you definately can do it with those instructions! Hope that helps

Trudi, yes, those are the shells and seahorse in the tutorial, they are gorgeous! Then there are a dozen or so pics of other shells for inspiration

Oh, BTW, everyone that buys a tut before Dec 25th will be entered to win the Variable Fig Shell (the voluptuous pink one with loop) or the seahorse with drawing Christmas morning so I can share the gift with you

Thanks so much all of you!
Hugs deb

Old 2009-11-24, 10:08am
Master Procrastinator

I want this so bad, but I am seriously tube challenged....ask Hugh Salkind. LOL! How hard is it for someone that has trouble with inside out beads?

Old 2009-11-24, 1:07pm

I am so happy to see this tut, I have been desperate to try blown shells for such a long time. This looks totally awesome Deb
Saving my pennies

Old 2009-11-24, 1:15pm

Lea, I have never made an inside out bead and I am also tubing challenged, as anyone in the ornament class I took during GS will attest to, and I was able to make a shell using Deb's method! So, if I can do it so can you!

Old 2009-11-24, 1:17pm
Mandrel Slayer

Yippee. I just ordered both.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2009-11-24, 2:56pm

Not to worry if you are tubing challanged! Deb even got me to make darned good shells.... She rocks....

Off to buy the tutorial so I don't forget how...

Old 2009-11-24, 6:34pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Lea, honey, you CAN do it! It isn't that hard (and I can't do inside outs very good either, Hugh has a good time with me too, lol!) TRY it...you won't be sorry!

Judith, well, you could just get the first Part 1 and practice (and even sell a few shells for more $$) and then get Part 2? They are VERY addicting though...maybe I should have put a disclaimer about that in somewhere...

Mags, your shell ROCKS! Ok, maybe I will go get it and take pictures of the "shell for ransom" (she has to come get it, ha ha ha, and of course, a beach trip!) YOU rock!

Bonny, let me know what you think, so far REALLY good feedback!

Aw, les, you are so sweet! Your shells are so exquisite I am thrilled to say I had any little part in helping you make them, you make me proud! I want to see more after the tut, let me know how the Rooster's Conch come out!

You are all awesome and have made my month, off to find that shell......
BIG hugs deb

Old 2009-11-25, 11:06am

OMG, Deb ~ You and Maggie did a spectacular job. Just downloaded and printed and only glanced thru as I'm at work (gotta use the boss' ink and paper don't ya know). Can't wait to sit and really read it! You rock! Thanks!

If I have any winners after reading the tut ~ I'll post them!

Old 2009-11-25, 11:12am

Deb was so great to work with, I was almost in her lap during the entire photo shoot!
We did have fun...

Old 2009-11-25, 8:05pm
Master Procrastinator

OK, I don't think I can pass this up. Just need to save up my pennies & then will get it. Anyone want to buy some beads? LOL!

Old 2009-12-02, 4:45pm

Wow!!
This is well worth the price.....nicely done
Old 2009-12-04, 9:17am
Wooohooo,GS!

Les, thanks honey, I know your shells will rock! Yep, quite a lot to print out, especially in color, lol!

Maggie, it was fun, I barely noticed you hanging off my shoulder (she was so sore from contorting!). If anyone needs a great photographer I would contact Maggie, she is amazing! Thanks sweetie!!!!! Oh, will post a pic of the ransomed shell of yours this weekend sometime, I have been swamped since getting back.

Sid, thanks so much honey, let me know how you do!

I got back from Seattle a couple days late. I went to see my daughter for the holidays, then a friend and I decided to go to Olympic National Park for 2 days. I had been there twice close enough to go in but was voted down so this was SO exciting.

The clouds cleared and we got to see Canada and watch the sun set over the most Northwest spot in the US, right above La Push. I didn't have my digital camera so had to use disposables and will get them developed soon and post some pics. Then we went to the Hoh Rain Forest, WOW, it is the most beautiful forest I have ever seen, HUGE Sitka spruce and I actually got to see the Coho Salmon spawning in the crystal clear stream...ahhhhhh...I was in heaven!

I hope to see some of these shells soon everyone......remember, my first ones sure didn't look like the ones in the tutorial...be kind to yourself and most of all, have FUN!
Big smiley, forest green hugs! deb

Old 2009-12-08, 5:50pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Hi all, hope you are having fun with the shell tutorial! I wanted to remind all of you that everyone who purchases one by Dec 24th will be entered in a drawing to win either the Fig shell or seahorse demonstrated in the tutorial! I will email winners Christmas evening, that way I get to share the "gift" with you!

Happy holidays! Deb

Old 2009-12-08, 6:12pm

Hey, Deb ~ How cool is that. Love the tutorial and it reminded me of all the steps that I forgot.... lol..... Thanks, sweetie!

Old 2009-12-13, 10:01am
Wooohooo,GS!

Thanks Leslie, glad you loved the tutorial! It is a lot of steps, I tried to be overly thorough, lol! Miss melting glass with you!

I would love to see some of the shells from all of you who have bought the tutorial, come on guys....my first ones didn't look like the examples in the tutorial either! Or at least tell us what you thought of it!

Happy holidays and remember if you are wanting to get this soon anyway, if you buy either half or both by Dec 24th, you are entered in the free drawing for the seahorse and fig shell demo'd in the tutorial on Christmas day!
Hugs deb

Old 2009-12-16, 10:41am

Looks fab!!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-12-16, 10:43am

Hi, Deb ~ Been trying to make some time to get some photos posted. I'm totall in love with making shells... Got to try the seahorse as well. The detail and photography is outstanding!

Old 2009-12-17, 11:54am
Master Procrastinator

I couldn't hold off any longer on getting this tute. Deb, thanks so much! It really reads more like a novel than a tute! WOW! Now to wait for the weather to warm up so I can attempt this in my frickin' cold garage!

Old 2009-12-17, 8:48pm

Actually got some photos done today and went to upload.... whoops! Way too big... will work on them tomorrow and get some up. I'm loving making them.... great colors, bad colors, wonky... it doesn't matter.... they are fun!

Old 2009-12-20, 6:01am

Okay, let's see if I actually got the photos to a managable size.

Heading to the studio right now to make some more! Deb you make it so easy to follow the directions. Bestest tutorial ever! xxoo's

Oops.... sorry they are so big!

Old 2009-12-20, 11:12am
Master Procrastinator

Leslie, those are great! Is it spring yet? I need to get to my studio & try this. With 14+ inches of snow that fell last night, that's not happening any time soon.

Old 2009-12-22, 8:40am
Wooohooo,GS!

Leslie, those are GORGEOUS! Just beautiful! Did all the "striking" info make it easier to get the bright colors? They are just beautiful, you are amazing Les! That makes me proud and now I have another shell addicted friend, lol! Keep on flamin' girl, you rock!

Lea, you poor thing, that sounds really cold! I had my pond freeze a full 8" thick, actually stood on it (along with a small crane that keeps harrassing my sleeping koi). It is melted now but our low for a week was 15 degrees, brrr! Hope it warms up for you soon so you can try the shells!
Big hugs to both of you and Merry Chritmas!
deb