No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-30, 6:34pm
Bad Cat Glass

Unhappy Continuing Oxycon Saga -- Help!

My oxycon continues to give me problems. I have replaced the filters and the compressor, but it still just blows air and does not seem to be producing any oxygen. Does anyone know if this problem could be caused by the sieve bed? Don't know how many hours of use it has, but it was built in 2002, so it may have quite a few. I purchased it from Unlimited Oxygen, but hate to ship the whole unit back to them. I have checked online and found a place that will rebuild the sieve bed for $85. Is that a reasonable price or should I just give up and go back to tanks?
Old 2010-04-30, 7:04pm
PyronamixK

Have you had your machine longer than three years? If so, it should still be under warranty. Have you talked to Jack?

It's not going to do you much good if the sieve beds are shot and you just replace them without fixing the reason they went bad. Besides, UO claims that they use a special sieve material. Call UO.
Old 2010-04-30, 9:45pm
Bad Cat Glass

I've had the machine for about 18 months, but it's only been working for about 12. OU recently provided me with another compressor because Jack thought that might be the problem. The only part left to replace is the sieve bed, but I'm disgusted with concentrators and sick of fooling around. I'm going to go back to tanks for now. Thanks for the help.
Old 2010-05-01, 12:01am
PyronamixK

That's really a shame. New and properly rebuilt concentrators work like they are supposed to. It's sad to see someone giving up on them entirely, based on an experience with a modified machine that is NOT indicative of the industry as a whole.
Old 2010-05-01, 5:50am
Bad Cat Glass

I agree, but unfortunately, a concentrator is not like buying a can of tomatoes. It's too expensive to just "try another brand." My hubby bought this one for me for Xmas and he spent a decent chunk of money for it, so to have it work for only a year before requiring a major overhaul does not speak well of the industry as a whole. I'm sure there are lots of folks who have perfectly good luck with their concentrators, but this one has been nothing but problems for at least the last six months. It does not inspire another purchase. All that venting aside, appreciate your help and advice, Kim.
Old 2010-05-01, 2:18pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

Sounds like your disgust may be misplaced...there are many many many concentrators that work like a dream. That's why I like the medical oxycons.
Old 2010-05-01, 3:11pm
offically down under

$85 to rebuild a sieve bed is cheap. I had to pay A$750 (US$700) The machine has worked extremely well every sense and I use it about 25 hours a week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-01, 4:33pm
Bad Cat Glass

Metalbone, you're absolutely right...it's really more frustration that the thing hasn't worked right in six months, and disgust over the service from the place I bought it. I agree that the medical oxycons are the way to go, and that's what this is, but when we took it apart to replace the compressor, we realized it was built it 2002...not exactly a spring chicken, so it probably is the sieve bed.

OMG, Tammy, that's a hunk o'change to rebuild the sieve bed. I have seen a couple of places online that charge between $85 and about $150 or so. I love Australia, but I'm glad I don't have to get this thing fixed there.
Old 2010-05-01, 4:41pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

So you bought the unit around October 2008 and it had a compressor that was dated 2002? If so and if you bought it as new, sounds like an issue with the company you bought it from.
Old 2010-05-01, 5:49pm
Bad Cat Glass

Metalbone, Like many if not most of the oxycons sold for lampworking, mine was a "reconditioned" unit previously used for medical purposes. The sieve bed, not the compressor, has a tag saying it was last rebuilt in 2002. My hubby bought it for me for Xmas 2008, so the most important part -- the sieve bed -- was already six years old. You're quite right about the place I bought it from being the real problem. The gauge that records how many hours of usage the unit has had was removed, so I have no way of knowing that info, but just having sieve beds that had not been rebuilt, despite the unit's advanced age, is not going to be a good thing. I'm sure there are some very good dealers out there, but a couple of years ago, I was not as aware as I am now of which ones to avoid.
Old 2010-05-01, 6:49pm
Formerly FishBulb

I had one of those that went kaflooie around the one year mark. Fortunately (for me, anyway) I bought it from my local glass dealer, so they are dealing with this issue while getting me a new one from a different supplier. It had something major wrong with it as well; the supplier didn't give me the diagnosis but they did say it was beyond their expertise to fix it themselves.

I don't know what to recommend to you, honestly. If nothing else, I'd keep badgering the guy you got it from, and start documenting everything. If you're having problems before the warranty expiration and the repairs aren't being done or you can't even get a hold of the manufacturer, then I would imagine there could be some legal avenue you could pursue.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-05-02, 2:16pm

Dear Flamin' Francesca,
Sure, the sieve bed may cause the problem you have. But it hardly could broken at once. The oxygen flow have to reduce with time (working hours more than 10000). In addition to most of concentrators have a pair of sieve bed and torch's flame starts jumping if there is any difference in how each works. One of refurbished concentrators I have bought in USA was with broken sieve bed. So I had to buy it and shipping to Ukraine cost me about 110$ but I had no choice. As for sieve beds price, 85$ it is OK. You better look at the sieve bed. Carefully inspect it for leaks-cracks (it's a little risky but uncovered working concentrator could talk much about air flow if there is any leaks). Some service marks have to be on beds. May be you will lucky to learn about date it was refilled last time (or wasn't at all). It useful know it to understand whether you beds fresh or not.

my

Last edited by Mandra; 2010-05-02 at 2:50pm.
Old 2010-05-02, 4:02pm

I would definitely get in touch with the company. You should not be having this experience and it seems appropriate at this point that they ship you a new one. Go back to your tanks, if you want, but just realize this is not a normal experience. I wish you the best of luck.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-05-03, 9:41am
Bad Cat Glass

Thanks for the help, everyone. I got back in touch with the company and they offered to redo the sieve beds for $100, but I found another place online that will do it for $85. I'm also waiting for a call back from a local dealer, but I have a feeling they just send their machines elsewhere to be serviced. I know my hubby could do this if I could find a source for the sieve bed material...anyone of you handy folks who have done this know where I might be able to get that?
Old 2010-05-04, 3:02pm

Default Sieve bed

Hey Gina, If you would send the sieve bed back, I will test it and repour it for free. I think the tag you are seeing on the bed is a factory tag, not mine. Mine will have writing on one side in permanant marker. It will have a date when the bed was poured and sold. You may have to remove the bed to see my markings. If you bought it in 08, it is still under warranty. I will take care of it at no further charge to you. Just ship it back. I kinda doubt the sieve is bad so soon. Im sure the compressor was no problem since you replaced it with no improvement. I bet it developed a leak or the switching valve is out of timing. I will be happy to help. jack

866-955-0200
3 year warranty & Life Time Support
PayPal address
Old 2010-05-04, 6:24pm
Bad Cat Glass

Jack, Thanks very much for the offer. I appreciate it, but this afternoon, I found a local dealer who is repouring the sieve bed and checking the valves for me. Hopefully, it will be quicker than mailing it away.