Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-20, 6:45am
Hot Glass is Cool Stuff!

Question What will glue boro to boro?

Help? Anyone?

I keep breaking the glass I make (don't ask) and it is driving me nuts! Currently there is a dragon missing a wing and a headless sea turtle and a sun medallion that I just snapped a ray off of. Sigh. I am breaking glass that was connected (wing to body or head to body etc) but the connections are sound and the break leaves a good footprint behind.

I have UV activated optical bonding which works great with plain glass, but it seems to not like boro. The pieces just pop apart (leaving a rubbery seal between that can be peeled off) even after a week of exposure and curing. Help?!? It's SO sad to see my dragon lying there wingless... and this piece looked wonderful until I dropped a sea turtle onto one of it's rays... sigh....

All help appreciated and many blessings offered in return...

Smilyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-11-20, 7:48am

Martonics Corp. makes a very good adhesive that works well with boro. Use at lease a 15 watt black light to cure it. I got mine from a friend, I'll have to try to track down her supplier.

Robert
Old 2010-11-20, 9:15am

Try this http://www.hisglassworks.com/cart/ca...ct_detail&p=94

This site has lots of adhesives and other things.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-11-20, 10:03am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I don't want to offend but I see a big problem with your rays on the sun thing. All the rays have undercut attachment points. Even with annealing there is tremendous stress at those points and what it really means is that you have 'cold seals' there rather than melted in solid joints. The sun thing is a very nice piece otherwise.
PJH
Old 2010-11-20, 5:03pm
Hot Glass is Cool Stuff!

PJH - Yup... It was a test piece I was playing with and it got nicer and nicer looking. I flattened that Amber Purple, poked it in, flattened again, melted to a dome and it still sucked up. Thinking back - the colored glass probably smooshed out when I added the clear.... I'll be much more careful in future. I just want to be able to wear it. No worries about offense - you are right; it a faulty piece. TYVM for the compliment though. The next will be better!

Thank you all for the help. Much appreciated. I'll check those links now.
(Editing...) Robert - if you find that link I'd appreciate it.
Pam... $50.00! Wow! The stuff must really work for that amount of money. I've got to eamail and ask if they think it would do the job. It would be worth it if it did, seems I need it a lot lately LOL!
Smilyn

Last edited by Smilyn; 2010-11-20 at 5:52pm.
Old 2010-11-22, 11:05am

Found the link, here's what I use:

http://www.glass-etching-kits.com/uv...lue_orders.htm

I polymerize it with a 15 Watt black light that I bought at Home Depot, about $25 for the bulb and the lamp housing.

Robert
Old 2010-11-22, 11:24am

http://www.hangyourglass.com/
Old 2010-11-22, 5:23pm
geekitude on two wheels

hxtal is pricey, but if you use it right it will be invisible & stay that way. And, a little goes a long way.

Your uv glue should work tho - is it fresh? are you sure the surface you're gluing is clean?