AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-07-16, 7:46pm

Default Suggestions for downloadable tutorials for purchase.

First, let me say I LOVE them! But to those of us without the fastest computers and/or printers may I respectfully suggest:

Don't make it overly long. If you need 20 pages, take them. If you only need 10 pages, try not to spread it out over 20 pages. Just saying. It's a matter of a slow printer (and saving paper, ink etc. plus its nice to have fewer pages around my torch when trying it out.)

The block headings with a color background? No. Really. No. Takes so much time to print and it eats ink like crazy. Would look marvelous in a book but my printer keeps telling me its out of ink and taking time to dry between pages. For great photos? I'm willing to wait.

I love the idea of these down loadable tutorials for purchase but...remember, some of us are "riding" dinosaurs.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox. (I really don't mean to be crabby here, I'm just making some suggestions that might make these tutorials even more popular.

Friends?
Old 2008-07-17, 3:18am
Beadmaking.nl

Great Suggestions, I agree with you.
Instead of Etsy, is there perhaps also a possibility to use Lulu.
http://www.lulu.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-17, 4:41am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

I agree with some of the mentioned suggestions, and having just put out my first pdf tutorial, Im open to any tips etc!! as I think everyone else is.
I just want it to be as user freindly , but still exciting, as it can be, having said that I used only black font, a little larger font, in thoughts that some people might work like I do and leave it on the computer and glance at it for reference..
xo Laurie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-17, 4:48am

on a side note.. how would you feel about having them available on dvd or cd?

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-17, 5:44am
pamtees

I've bought 4 tutorials and copied them to one cd and one dvd so I don't lose them if my computer fails. I haven't printed them because I have a lousy printer!
Old 2008-07-17, 6:22am
Goddess

Great suggestions!

I know what it is like to have a slow machine, but I personally would not want to skimp on quality just because some people have slower machines. When I wrote my tutorial I tried to keep things like that in mind and I spent 2 weeks streamlining and editing. I considered using Lulu.com but then decided against it. I wasn't even sure how well the idea would be received so I just wanted to go the less complicated route.

Now that I've got a bit of experience, I will certainly be offering different options for my next tutorial; burn to cd and ship, print through Lulu.com and ship, or just email directly.

All of those options have advantages and disadvantages (longer waiting time, higher cost, no hard copy, having to print yourself, etc.) but I think they would make the majority of people happy.

But do keep the suggestions coming, this is a totally new thing for the lampwork community (as far as I know) and so we have lots to learn!

Old 2008-07-17, 6:48am
Karen James

There are 2 or 3 of these tuts that I plan to purchase. I am planning to download them, burn them to a cd/dvd rom, but also pop them onto my thumb drive. Then, I am going to bring them over to my local Staples to have them print them out on a color laser printer. Much less expensive than trying to print on an ink jet and far better print quality.

Hope that suggestion helps.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2008-07-17, 7:45am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

OK....I'm really in the booth in the back in the dark....WHERE are these tuts for purchase located?????? Not in the Bead Classifieds that I'm seeing......

Old 2008-07-17, 7:55am

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Irish Girl View Post
OK....I'm really in the booth in the back in the dark....WHERE are these tuts for purchase located?????? Not in the Bead Classifieds that I'm seeing......

Ohh Now that would be a great place to sell them !

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2008-07-17, 7:57am
Mary Lockwood

Hmmm....guilty as charged.

I do have a lower resolution version available for people with slow connections which I did mention on my download page, but I have over 108 images in my tutorial. I can't take any of them out.

I could take the background of the separated heading boxes out though...but I only have the one big one at the top and the rest are smaller. I thought that setting them at semi-transparent would still give them the division they needed to make the text look organized without eating ink.

I've printed out 5 different hard copies since I wrote this and didn't have any problems, but I have a pretty good printer, maybe that's it.

Comments noted and thank you very much for them.
~~Mary

Old 2008-07-17, 8:03am

I think most of us have them available on etsy and our websites..I did put a few up on ebay but according to thier digital file laws from what i can understand I have to offer those with a disc, so I have to charge more for those, shipping, making the disc etc..
I have been considering the classifieds here..ya really think that would be a good place?
I want to be able to reach people that arent active in LE or etsy..just trying to figure out how to do so...

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-17, 8:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Irish Girl View Post
Lynn if you visit the Etsy signatures at the bottom of those who posted that they've put out tutorials you'll be taken to the tutorials they have for sale.

Or you can go to Etsy and in the search bar type in "lampwork tutorial" and you'll find all that is available on Etsy.

Old 2008-07-17, 8:09am
Covered in glitter

I think we need a Sticky at the top of this room that lists the Tutorials available for purchase by PDF and a link to each one. Anyone else agree?

I have to go pick up CD's today so I love the idea of popping them into my thumb drive and having them printed there. Thanks!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche

Last edited by debkauz; 2008-07-17 at 8:12am.
Old 2008-07-17, 8:12am

Of course I agree with you Deb just B...Kauz !

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2008-07-17, 8:14am

I thinks a great Idea Deb, but Ive no clue how thats done..

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-17, 8:17am

And.. and... and then maybe the Goddess of LE could make a new section in the Bead classified for TUTS

Old 2008-07-17, 8:20am
aka Spawn Of Flame

It never occurred to me to print them.... I just use them on the computer.

I want BIG! I want COLOR! (it would kill my printer...)

--
--
--

Old 2008-07-17, 8:23am
Mary Lockwood

When I was making my tutorial I was so excited about it that I wanted to make it not only informative, but something beautiful to look at too.

I guess I didn't think it far enough through the technical challenges of printing something that really is formatted like a book. I was trying to give people what felt and looked like a book at the price of a tutorial.

Just thought I would mention that since I saw this thread, I went in and took out all the colored headers and background images.

I'll be uploading the new no-frills version to my site and reactivating everyone's links who has purchased before so if you are having issues printing it, you can get the easier to print version with the minimal amount of trouble.

Thanks for the suggestions..I never realized it was a problem, but I'm more than happy to do whatever people need to be happy.

~~Mary

Old 2008-07-17, 8:23am
Covered in glitter

Janelyn you are too funny! LOL

I think we need to ask Corri for it. There's already a tut section up there but I think a separate one for the purchaseable (is that even a word) ones with a link would be great. It would be easy to not find something about one if you were gone from LE for a few days (I shudder to think...). I think it could be a thread where the only poster to the thing would be whoever was putting the tut and the link in. We can comment other places about it. That way it would keep it short and easy to follow.

I think I'm off to PM Corri about it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-07-17, 8:24am

thank you Deb! you rock!

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-17, 8:34am
Goddess

The sticky thread is a good idea, I predict that it is going to be hard keeping track of all these paid pdf tutorials in the not to distant future. They are already popping up all over the forum in various places, probably better to keep them all in one spot. I think someone would need to run the idea by Corri.

Old 2008-07-17, 8:38am
Goddess

Guess I should read before commenting, thank you Deb!

Old 2008-07-17, 8:46am
Covered in glitter

I'm thinking that the only posters in the sticky should be the person with the tutorial. Write a little blurb about it...maybe a picture or two and the addy where we can buy it.

All other comments about it could be in a regular thread. That way we'd have a lot less to wade through to find things.

Gods, know...if I find them I'll buy all of them so I don't want to miss out on anything. LOL

Old 2008-07-17, 8:49am

on a more profitable thought for Corri... it would be good of us to list them in the classifieds, so instead of etsy fees, LE would get some compensation..

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-17, 8:50am

did that make sense?

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-17, 9:11am

Perfect sense !

And Mary , I plan to purchase your tut in full wonderful form . I will just put it on CD so I can enjoy all the beautiful eye candy in holds .

For those of you that are doing TUTS just remember .. you cant please ALL the people all of the time . And your not a bytch for not trying .

Last edited by silkys; 2008-07-17 at 9:15am.
Old 2008-07-17, 10:04am
Sheryll

In any tutorial, I would want as many pics to show me how to do whatever it is (as well as many pages of description) that I bought the tutorial for. If that takes 1 or if it takes 100, I think I would rather have more then not enough. If I'm sitting there not knowing what to do, then that's a problem. However, I would agree however that the tutorials should be reviewed to have precise as well as concise directions. I don't want filler material if you're just trying to make it longer or backgrounds either. I would hope that those that make tutorials don't take into account the length of time it takes to download or print them.

Old 2008-07-17, 11:39am
Karen James

I am all for the sticky idea too! I am just too slow on the uptake to figure out where to look to find them, so one-stop-finding is what I need.

And for those of you that are putting together these .pdf's, I will definitely go for the chock full versions. The more the better. I have not had the opportunity to get out to any classes, so for me, these are classes. Also, I will often go back to a tutorial after I have been at the torch to see where I can improve, went wrong, what I did right...etc., so, something that is full of pics and such is just great.

Okay...I also sit and drool over the stuff whenever I am not at the torch. I am so pathetic

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2008-07-17, 12:07pm
Covered in glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever After View Post
on a more profitable thought for Corri... it would be good of us to list them in the classifieds, so instead of etsy fees, LE would get some compensation..
Seems like a good idea to me.

Old 2008-07-17, 12:12pm

I would put some up, I just dont know what category, lol
bead sets, supplies?

~~
~~