Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-02-09, 1:16pm

Default Fuming problems

Ive been fuming and doing dot implosions on tubing and on rod for at least a year and a half and the problem i have is i can never get any of the yellows or greens or pinks that i see others posting pics of on this an other forums. I am wondering if you guys do a kiln strike after you finish or if you are getting that beautiful color just torch striking. Mostly what i get if i fume with gold and silver is a off white. Or if i use just straight gold i little darker looking grayish white to a pale blue with a wisp of pale tan but NEVER do i get anything like i see in the pics ppl post. Mostly its the intensity that i dont get... i see all the colors but they have no intensity... it all looks washed out.
Ive tryed putting on a thicker coating of fume... to the point that it looks like a mud coating. That really didnt solve the problem.
I do appreciate any help you folks can give me ive given up and come back to this several times hoping to get better color but it never gets much better.
Thanks.
Khan
Old 2014-02-09, 1:32pm

What I do to get the green is a medium fume of gold (rosy color) and then a light fume of silver. It usually comes out green.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-02-09, 1:33pm

Oh and make sure when you fume gold you do it in a oxy flame - the silver in a reducing flame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-02-09, 2:00pm

Thanks for that info ^^^

Gold fuming for me seems to work easily enough, but the silver fuming is always milky white or very light wisps of color. Getting the silver to fume isn't the problem, it's get any color at all from it.

The variables that I haven't worked out yet are:
- how much fume - opinions run the gamut from very light to extremely heavy
- whether to apply the fume to cooler or hotter glass - some state the colors develop better when applied to cooler glass
– I've seen others state that they give the fume a shot in a reduction flame to bake it in, which for me seems to yield somewhat better results, but makes it hard to burn off the excess fume leaving brown cloudy areas

Thanks for any tips!!
Old 2014-02-09, 2:08pm
Bernhard Riegler

to get any colour from silver you have to fume it very lightly - heavy fume is always just white - you overdo it!
I have my work piece very hot (but not glowing hot) when I fume.
And I never got a muddy white with gold - maybe your gold is not pure 22 or 24 Karat - too much silver in it could make it white.
I see no need to bake in my fume - I fume it on and cover it with clear - thats it. Sometimes I burn off access silver if I got too much on it - hope this helps

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2014-02-09, 3:01pm

What works for me? Less is more for both gold and silver. Try different flame settings and see what works for you. Too reducing and everything looks cloudy. Too oxidizing and it might be hard to keep the fume from burning off at the same time it is being deposited. This is an area where there are too many variables to try to learn from others, though. Tutorials will not cut it. Besides if you follow a tutorial the result will usually look like everyone else's. You are gonna have to experiment on your setup to see what works. Be methodical and take notes. Dont be afraid to try things that are completely contrary to what those around you are saying. You may be very surprised by the result.
Old 2014-02-09, 4:18pm

Thanks for all the great tips!!!
Old 2014-02-09, 4:20pm

Thanks everyone...
Thing is ive been at this for more than a year and still i get disappointing results. There has to be something making things come out like this. If i try the less is more theory i always get a light blue... im sick of seeing light blue on everything so thats why i tryed heavy ... but then like Onekura said... its always white. Ive tryed different pieces of gold and my silver is off of a coin.
I guess that light smoky blue is always gonna be "my thing" ... my only color... well i always have white.
Khan
Old 2014-02-09, 4:33pm

what kind of torch and what kind of glass also tons to do with your color. premix gets way better color range than a surface mix.

i use simax for all the gold fuming i do, even tho i use 90% sba for everything else
Old 2014-02-09, 5:12pm

I use a CC+ and i just got a Champion about a month ago that ive been trying. I thought all this time that the problem was that i was using a premix..(the CC+) but i seem to be getting about the same with the Champion. I use only Simax glass ...thats basicly all i have ever used in clear.
Maybe i should try different silver??
Khan
Old 2014-02-09, 11:05pm

coin silver may have many impurities that could lead to your results. you also mention different pieces of gold. What are they? Start with known purity metals. I get good results with 23k gold and only use pure silver.
Old 2014-02-11, 5:59pm

Here is a cool little tut/article on silver coin and understanding how to get 'pure' silver. http://goldsilver.com/news/how-to-buy-silver-coins/
Old 2014-02-11, 11:44pm

Onekura has a thread somewhere in this forum where he shows pics of his flame for gold/silver. That may help you find a starting point to breakdown what the problem area might be. I know it helped me out a bit.

edit: It might not be a thread started by him.
Old 2014-02-12, 7:01am
ManBearPig

For a light silver fume, fume it with a reducing flame, then heat it up slowly until you see the fume start to go away. Take it out of the flame and let it cool a little, then quickly hit it with a very heavy reducing flame.

I have found that this works better with Pyrex and Kimble than it does with Simax.

Old 2015-01-05, 12:37pm

i feel lately my fumes are not noticeable at all unless i shine i bright led flash light on them. im wondering why that is, because iv made some really nice ones before. dont know what happened. i recently switched to a homefill setup, would oxy purity have anything to do with it? i back with black and all the pendant looks like is black. can barley see any fume. any ideas what my problem is??
Old 2015-01-05, 5:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulMastaDef View Post
i feel lately my fumes are not noticeable at all unless i shine i bright led flash light on them. im wondering why that is, because iv made some really nice ones before. dont know what happened. i recently switched to a homefill setup, would oxy purity have anything to do with it? i back with black and all the pendant looks like is black. can barley see any fume. any ideas what my problem is??
Yes. Oxygen purity will effect flame chemistry which effects fume application. Post some pictures so we can see whats happening. Most likely if your applying enough and it is disappearing, somewhere you are burning it off. Also, silver will strike and unstrike depending on your process.
Old 2015-01-06, 1:56pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Medium to heavy gold fume covered with light to medium silver fume, and then covered with clear glass stringers generally gives me alot of green. This is with a CC burner and tanked oxy on Symax. And yes, I definitely have better days and worse days.