No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-03-21, 12:19pm
Favorite color is shiny

Default Servicing refurbished Oxycon?

Putting this out to any peeps.... I haven't turned my oxycon on in over 4 yrs. I've purchased a replacement filter but I'm sure it needs something else done. It's been stored in a dry place out of extreme weather but would like to have it looked at or serviced before I start using it again. I just moved my Studio to its new location and I'm ready to light my torch again. Suggestions?? Should I find someone to look it over or any ideas of things I can do to ensure it's cooperation?

** if this has already been addressed, which I'm sure it has somewhere on LE, please point me in the right direction if that would be easier. thanks

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---> LE

Last edited by Seasoned Soul; 2016-03-23 at 11:55am.
Old 2016-03-24, 1:02am

I am having the EXACT same issue. Is there anything intrinsically dangerous about just turning it on to see if it works? I am scared to find out. I don't want to go back to tanked oxygen because I finally figured Clio out when I last fired the torch up.

della
Old 2016-03-24, 2:09am

I can't think of any reason that you can't just turn on the machine.

Of course, you should do a basic inspection, such as to check that the power cord is in good condition, and it would be a good idea to replace all the filters.

I've read that the sieve beds can last as long as the expected life of the machine as long as they are not contaminated with moisture or oil. There should be no chance of contamination with the machine off, but changing the filters should take care of the possibility that the machine was stored in unfavorable conditions.

Sometimes after being stored for so long, you have to press the reset button, if it has one.
Old 2016-03-24, 6:23am
Phill

There are filters inside the machines besides the one that keeps dust from being sucked into the unit at the intake.

I think there are some deep inside designed to prevent extremely fine dust / powder from the sieve beds from winding up in the output air line.

I think there is a "bio-filter" that could give you problems in the out put side of the system. They sometimes can get clogged and I think they should get replaced once a year when the oxycon is used for medical reasons but for torch work as long as the air goes through it you don't "have" to change it.

Here is a web site I found a few years back that has documents about servicing hospital equipment;

http://www.frankshospitalworkshop.co...e_manuals.html

See if you can find your model or at least your brand in the list of documents.

You could also contact Salt City Glass. I think I remember seeing maintenance kits for sale there with a package of normal wear items.

Be gentle when you have the covers off because the tubing inside some of the older models can get brittle with time and have been known to crumble or crack with even carful handling.
You can get clear tubing and zip ties from most hardware stores these day if you need to replace any.

At the least take the cover off and make sure you have not got any "guests". Critters love a cubby hole.

These days You Tube should have videos on how to "service" oxycons and they would be worth watching even if they are not your particular model.
The videos that have you take a screwdriver to the parts inside theunit are probably more like "overhauling" than servicing and that you may want to leave to someone more mechanically inclined.
But replacing tubing and zip tying replacement tubing or filters using side cutters or a razor knife is something you should be able to do yourself.

The hardware on these things is built to last for years of continuous use 24/7 and the filters usually get replaced once or twice a year when used 24/7 so with the way we use them for a few hours a day / a few days a week means we can pretty much forget about them all together unless we are working with them out side or in a really dusty environment.

If you get puzzled, take a picture with maybe a pencil pointing to what concerns you and then ask a specific question here or in one of the other threads.

Good luck.

Oh and you probably will need a screw driver to get the case off but not for much of anything else.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2016-03-24 at 6:30am.
Old 2016-03-24, 9:41am
Favorite color is shiny

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!... I was so worried that it would be a lost cause. I'll definitely take a look. I did buy a replacement filter but the filter "that keeps dust from being sucked into the unit at the intake" should probably be replaced... hmmmm* Also, I'll check for a reset button and find videos on good 'ol YouTube. If I see anything I will take a picture (w/ pencil..haha) and post on this most reliable board. thanks again!

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2016-03-24, 4:42pm

You didn't mention what brand of concentrator. If it is an Invacare, there should be a white button near the ON-OFF switch.

The other filter is the one connected to the compressor. I would think a visual inspection would be OK to see if the machine can be turned on without any ill effects. What I mean is that if the filter is completely dry and looks clean, it should be OK. Some filters are in a hard shell and an inspection would be difficult, but I think I've seen some that are not enclosed.
Old 2016-03-25, 11:25pm

Thanks for your input. I will work up my courage and just do it! ...Maybe tomorrow.