Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-07-18, 4:04pm

Default Favorite method for applying crushed opal?

Hey guys,

I'm relatively new on here and to glass blowing. I was wondering what your favorite method for applying crushed opal is? Primarily for tubing. I have encased many opals but have never messed around with any crushed.

I'm assuming it's like a frit tech, but i'm confused as to how to keep the opals intact after applying it like frit since it would be subjected to the flame at that point. I've come to the conclusion that it's probably applied like frit and then carefully encased all the way around, then fully melted.

Anyways, I would like to hear from anyone with experience in this.

Cheers
Old 2015-07-19, 1:05am
Bernhard Riegler

ok, it depends on the ammount you want to apply. I use it very sparingly and for me it works best if I take a punty - anywhere between 5 and 8mm - heat it soft and pick up the opal-frit with that. A little heating on the back softens it enough to apply it to your tube. This way the flame never actually touches the opals. Hope this helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-07-20, 1:18pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

A year or so ago I bought 5 Gilson opals. I've put 4 of them into marbles, using different techniques and am happy with my results. BUT, to take an opal, smash it into pieces and use those pieces in anything... my first thought is 'one piece of frit is the same color all the way around, with the same properties no matter what angle you work it from'. Would a smashed up piece of opal be uniform all around? Other than that, I agree with Onekura's suggestion above.

Have you made anything using a whole opal? I used a black Gilson opal (oval 6x4mm) floating over a silver-fumed flower in a marble, and when I move the marble around in the sun or under a lamp I get the most amazing greens, blues, yellows, etc.

Old 2015-08-08, 9:55pm

Method one. Take a clear tube pour in opal melt in like frit then blow in color and melt in again...

Method 2 take color blank get it as hot as you can and roll it in the opal like frit in a tray and then cover in 2-3 layers of clear rod.
Old 2015-08-09, 3:04pm

Thanks BaggedChevys! Method one is the exact method i was looking for. I have never messed around with frit personally so I didn't know about that tech! That's probably the way I would attempt just to keep opal furthest away from flame. If working with solid opaque colors method 2 would be best.

Thanks for the input everyone.