TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-01-25, 6:40pm

Default vertically holed hearts

Hi all,
I have gotten much use out of Lynne's "Hearts, my way Tut", but I still have one chronic problem area- around the hole, between the lobes, at the top of the heart. Every one I've made looks great except I have to touch that area up with my Dremel because there is a thin little crust around the mandrel. I'm not sure if it's because I let the whole bead get too hot, am not pressing the lobes up properly, don't have enough glass for the lobes, or some other factor. Maybe I need to turn the bead upside at the end for a longer time, but I don't want the lobes to get wonky.

Any fine tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 2007-01-26, 1:41pm
Anna Duhame

HI Vicki!
I think you are right, if you can turn the bead upside down a bit longer and let the "lobes" of the heart slide down a bit it will solve the problem. I was having the same issue, so I know just what you mean. I like to use my paddle or a butter knife to quickly cool the lobes so they don't go all crazy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-01-27, 11:01am

Default Another thought

Thanks, Anna,
Another thought I had was that perhaps the way I'm flattening these is compounding the issue. I've been using my barbecue mashers and flattening until the entire side is pressed which may be pushing the glass down towards the bottom. Since that's not the way Lynne does it, she thinks that could be part of the problem.

Back to the drawing board!
Old 2007-02-03, 4:54pm

When making vertical holed heart beads I like using my lentil press. I still have my mag mashers too... that is such a great tool it is a shame that everyeone jumped all over her...anyway...

buy making a lentil first...not perfect but it does plump the center and gets you some nice bead holes...(as long as you remember that a lentil press is a far better shaper and a press... after making your lentil then heat one end to pull the glass away from the tip, later you can reshape but making your nice pucker first.

Then at the top heat alternating sides and when that comes up (down depending on your orientation) it forms a nice bead hole around the top...

Also is you start your shape full and let then heat one end like making a bicone..shape that end... then the other end that is full will pretty naturally make a nice end around the top fo the heart...

I prefer vertically holed hearts I think of them as pendants more than as beads

I know...no one asked me.........I just felt like sharing ....I came looking for info on the new R4 glass...that I know have A LOT OF! YIPPEE

Beads galore at my ebay store!

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2009-02-11, 3:38am
Knob Creek Glass

Vicki, where do you find Lynne's Heart tutorial??
Old 2009-02-12, 11:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaracollins View Post
Vicki, where do you find Lynne's Heart tutorial??
Hi Barbara.
I think this is the tutorial:http://www.fireballbeeds.com/hearts.html
nana
Old 2009-02-13, 12:13am
Addicted to Melting Glass

I'm confused about what you mean by "crusts" - is it just a rough (non-puckered) hole? Can you post some pix?

Old 2009-02-13, 1:25am
Gimme that silver glass!

I was wondering about thesame thing, I'm not sure what you mean by crusts? A pic would help.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL: