Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-08, 9:35pm

Default Efettre silver plum

I have been trying to make silver plumb silver. All I can get is plumb. I have tried reducing and striking is there a trick to this. I would be gratefull if anyone has ideas.

Smeeth.
Old 2011-11-08, 9:51pm
Denise

You need to turn your oxygen up.

Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-11-08, 9:51pm
FatCat Mama

It works best in an oxygen-rich flame.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2011-11-08, 10:15pm

Thanks for the input ill try the blue flame in the morning. I love this forum you guys have saved me hundreds of hours of trial and error and wasted glass and swimming beads.

Smeeth
Old 2011-11-09, 5:55am
Glass-aholic

It does not go really really silver. Its not like a silver glass silver. It's more a almost matte plum silver with striations of rainbows id the planets line up right. I believe that dark silver plum is known for having an easier/more predominant reaction, but I really like the light silver plum too there has been talk about going back and fourth between reduction and oxy flames to get the effect enhances. I don't know if it works or not. It's been a while since I played with mine. overall yes you need the neutral to oxy flame. Awesome stuff. Search the gallery for som pics. It's just beautiful!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-11-09, 6:07am
Loving learning

Pictures would be great if anyone has them. I've been thinking of getting some of this my next order, and would love to see a few beads that show it off.
Old 2011-11-09, 6:23am
Lampworkaholic!

I like it as a base for Raku frit. Also, in dots made from stringer it will silver up.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-11-09, 6:29am
Glass-aholic

I use it for black lines in twisties and wig wags. I do more stringer work with it than bead bases.

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-11-09, 7:04am
Glass-aholic

http://www.naosglass.com/2007sets/fu...eidoscopes.jpg

These are off amber's web site. She gets amazing color out of dsp!

This what it looks like if you work the snots out of it somehow... I get like 10% the color amber does!!!

Last edited by jaci; 2011-11-09 at 7:07am.
Old 2011-11-09, 11:22am
Artistically Absorbed

It seems to do more of the irrid/silver trick when it raised and not melted all the way in like a stringer, dot, or shard. There was also some talk over handpulled vs. machine, but I have never used the machine pulled so I'm not sure. -Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2011-11-09, 12:09pm

It is more like an oil slick result than a straight silver.
Old 2011-11-10, 12:09am
one day at a time

I thought I read somewhere that the shiny finish wears off very easily and in some cases it even disappeared in the kiln. That's why I don't even bother with the color. Except it would make a great base color or in a mixed color twisty.
Old 2011-11-10, 12:21am
Unmedicated since '62

yup, it works backwards - it webs nicely on ivory too

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-11-10, 12:24am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
yup, it works backwards - it webs nicely on ivory too
sounds pretty!
Old 2011-11-10, 3:42am
Dark Flower Bead Art

I love it. also, it helps me if the bead is cooler and not glowing when you reintroduce it to the flame after shaping. LOVE it

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-11-10, 6:30pm

Thanks Jaci! You beat me to it. I was going to mention Amber's work with dsp shards! I'm a fan of all her work as well

Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
http://www.naosglass.com/2007sets/fu...eidoscopes.jpg

These are off amber's web site. She gets amazing color out of dsp!

This what it looks like if you work the snots out of it somehow... I get like 10% the color amber does!!!

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-11-11, 12:23am
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFlowerBead View Post
I love it. also, it helps me if the bead is cooler and not glowing when you reintroduce it to the flame after shaping. LOVE it
= how you get the colors

Let it cool, bathe in flame > repeat. Work it like raku.

I honestly got much better color on a HH and much easier than on my other torches.

Edit to add, I've not had the metallic come off of any of my beads, I have a couple on my 'everyday' bracelet, I do know some were having issues with CIM gunmetal, but all reduced silver fades. Silver plum isn't reduced nor shiney. Just what I've found anyways.

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2011-11-11 at 12:26am.
Old 2011-11-11, 10:42am

I love Dark Silver Plum.
I hoard the handpulled cause I don't get anything out of the machinepulled.
I'm working in a neutral flame and there's no big secret about this glass, just be patient and let it cool down and then reheat a few times.

Good luck!
Elke

Old 2011-11-11, 5:02pm

nice beads. Still no silver yet. I'm on a minor with 5lpm oxycon. I believe I am using the machine pulled variety because it was cheaper....sigh.

Locococo that is exactly the look I wanted. so cool. Thanks again for the tips ill keep trying.

Smee
Old 2011-11-11, 5:37pm
Glass-aholic

Wow! Great beads!!!

Old 2011-11-12, 12:30pm

mr. smeeth - I am on a HH and when I'm done with my bead I flash it through the tip of the flame. I can see the "silver" come out as I'm doing it. keep going.
Old 2011-11-13, 6:45am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Simple set. Dark Silver Plum and Strikingcolor glass

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-11-13, 7:39am

I get it by toasting the bead like you would a marshmallow in the upper part of the flame.

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2011-11-14, 8:53am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
I have had the silver finish disappear when the bead was kept in a wooden box that had been treated with oil wood finish. Go figure. It disappeared wherever the bead touched the wood.
Ack...that's a shame. It really is beautiful with the rainbow of color you can get from it. Too bad it doesn't stay!
Old 2011-11-14, 9:50am
Glass Addict

I get really great silvered plum sheen from using the Vetrofond Purple Plum ODD. It ALWAYS silvers for me and I use it as a silvery accent with other purples I am working with in the bead. I haven't noticed it ever wear off either....

Old 2013-11-20, 5:32pm
What was I thinking?

Has anyone purchased the hand-pulled Dark Silver Plum that is available now? Were you able to get oil-slick colors with it? Is any of the new stuff worth buying?

I've been so disappointed with my recent attempts with this color. I use a high-oxy flame with cycles of cooling and reheating. I can get the silverfish matte finish but no colors.

Old 2013-11-20, 9:08pm

I always get the silver finish without even trying, but I've never had the oil slick, and have had the silver disappear and not come back when I had to do spot reheating for shaping. If it didn't have it when i put it into the kiln, it's usually there when it comes out. No idea what variety of sp and dsp I'm using though.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-11-20, 9:12pm

Mr. Smeeth, you didn't mention whether you are using Silver Plum or Dark Silver Plum. For me, the Dark is much easier to work than the light.

-Helene
Old 2013-11-20, 9:18pm
Senior Moment

I find it make great shards, and I always get an oil sheen effect when using it that way (I'm on a HH if that makes any diff to anyone).

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-11-20, 9:25pm

I have the hand pulled dsp it can look like mercury glass.