Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-04-09, 8:07am

Default Bracelet sizes

Hi everyone! I could swear I already started this thread but it isn't showing up anywhere.

I recall reading somewhere that the typical bracelet size is 7" Did I hear correctly? I am trying to put some together but I don't want to be too short or too long.

Thanks

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-04-09, 9:36am
MacGalver

Duane~ 6-7/8" is small, 7" to 7-1/4" is average, 7-1/2" to 8" is oversized. It also depends on how the wearer likes the bracelet to sit.... snugly at the wrist, hanging down over the hand, etc. If possible, a short length of chain that can act as an extender is a really nice touch and makes the bracelet a universal fit.

We need pictures!

Jo

Old 2012-04-09, 10:24am

It also depends a lot on your client's wrist size. I have big wrists, and commercial bracelets never fit me. The extender chain is a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frit Diva View Post
Duane~ 6-7/8" is small, 7" to 7-1/4" is average, 7-1/2" to 8" is oversized. It also depends on how the wearer likes the bracelet to sit.... snugly at the wrist, hanging down over the hand, etc. If possible, a short length of chain that can act as an extender is a really nice touch and makes the bracelet a universal fit.

We need pictures!

Jo
Old 2012-04-09, 10:51am
Wonder-wench

I like the extender chain option as well, as I have the opposite problem of needing 6-6.5" length. I too have read that 7 - 7.5" is typical bracelet and measuring family members has confirmed this (for my family, yours may vary of course).

Old 2012-04-09, 12:32pm
Hobby Junkie

As a person with big wrists (and big hands... and big feet...), I like bracelet extenders. I hate when I find a gorgeous bracelet and it is too short. I need 8"... but yes, 7" is average.

Old 2012-04-09, 4:22pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I struggle with this, too. And I can't try them on myself, because my wrists are tiny, and my hands are huge.

I did have an idea, though, about the safety/extender chains. Does anyone else attach a lobster clasp to one end of the safety? I just reckon it might be a good idea for customising a bracelet, too, to maximise fit and comfort for the wearer?
For all I know it's been done to death, but it just popped into my head..

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-04-09, 4:26pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
I struggle with this, too. And I can't try them on myself, because my wrists are tiny, and my hands are huge.

I did have an idea, though, about the safety/extender chains. Does anyone else attach a lobster clasp to one end of the safety? I just reckon it might be a good idea for customising a bracelet, too, to maximise fit and comfort for the wearer?
For all I know it's been done to death, but it just popped into my head..
How else would you clasp it?

Old 2012-04-09, 4:29pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I've only ever seen safety chains fixed at both ends, that slip over the hand like a bangle, but come together with the main clasp.
I just figured it'd be nice to have an end free to attach to wherever you want.
Bracelets are a new thing for me to be making.
Thanks.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-04-09, 5:38pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
I've only ever seen safety chains fixed at both ends, that slip over the hand like a bangle, but come together with the main clasp.
I just figured it'd be nice to have an end free to attach to wherever you want.
Bracelets are a new thing for me to be making.
Thanks.
Oh, I see. I guess I was thinking about the extender chains that have a clasp at one end and the chain at the other. But, yes a safety chain is different and needs to be attached at both ends.

Duane, you might consider making several different sizes, that way someone will be sure to find one they love that fits them.

Old 2012-04-09, 5:55pm
Colors outside the lines

I love toggle clasps that have 3 connected rings rather than just 1 for the toggle to slide into. That can change the overall bracelet length up or down by an inch or so.

Leah
Old 2012-04-09, 10:02pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
It also depends a lot on your client's wrist size. I have big wrists, and commercial bracelets never fit me. The extender chain is a great idea.
It also depends how chunky your bead design it. The chunkier the design the more length you will need to add tools it 'average'

7 1/2 sells well for me. Sometimes the length depends on the design honestly though. The beads tell you what it will be lol.

Stretch is also a nice option. I like that you don't have to break up your design with a clasp.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-04-10, 5:48am

Happy Tuesday everyone! All your suggestions are great and much appreciated!! Now for the next task....Do they make these extenders pre-made or do I need to hand make them ()

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-04-10, 6:05am

Hi Duane! I just hook jump rings together to make about an ~ 1.5" extender depending on the original size of the bracelet (longer extender if the bracelet is shorter and vice versa) and then add a small charm or bead to the end. Good luck on your bracelet! Check out the jewelry section on LE for some great examples of different styles too if you are interested.

Tina

Old 2012-04-10, 7:44am
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post
Happy Tuesday everyone! All your suggestions are great and much appreciated!! Now for the next task....Do they make these extenders pre-made or do I need to hand make them ()

Duane
You can also use a short piece of chain, fasten with a jump ring and add the dangle on the end.
If you would like, maybe we can get together an impromptu bracelet class at the gathering. That would be fun!

Old 2012-04-10, 9:21am
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post

Duane
Chain at one end and clasp at the other end. I keep chain on-hand that has rings large enough for clasping, but with small enough girth for the lobster.

Old 2012-04-10, 6:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilson21 View Post
I love toggle clasps that have 3 connected rings rather than just 1 for the toggle to slide into. That can change the overall bracelet length up or down by an inch or so.

Leah
This is what I use for all my bracelets. No more restringing to make bigger or smaller. Fits 3 sizes.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell