Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-09-16, 2:48pm
Queen Bee

Question Boro Shade 3 with Contact Lenses

I'm fairly new to boro, but have been making some beads lately. I wear contact lenses, and have philips boro glasses in shade 3. I noticed while torching today that some of the colors still hurt my eyes, especially when burning off the haze or melting in frit. I stopped torching, and my eyes were very bloodshot, especially around my iris where the contact lenses are. I took the lenses out right away, but it's been a couple of hours, and my eyes are still irritated.

Should I not wear contacts and get fit over frames? Or wear the contacts with a shade 5? I'm concerned I won't be able to see with a shade 5. What do you all think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-09-16, 2:59pm

i probaly shouldnt try to answer this but i use rose didy's for boro, alot of people only use them because of the visublity and if you dont boil the glass it wont be too bright, i imagine your contacts may have dried out or they may be very sensitive to heat, i dont know anything about contacts so sorry.. i would also say it may be from a lack of minerals, your body needs 90 essentails and you only get about 50 from foods,,, idk! i would try glasses and if that doesnt work then..... idk!
Old 2013-09-16, 3:27pm
Flamewoman

Here is some information coppied from the Mountain Glass Arts site.

The new material, called ACE, short for "Amethyst Contrast Enhancer", utilizes rare earth oxides in the glass composition to achieve the unique color enhancing characteristics. ACE glass is very effective at blocking the bright sodium flare produced by working borosilicate as well as providing ultraviolet protection to 390 mm. It offers slightly better protection than the classic rose didymium lenses. However, ACE glass by itself is not sufficient enough to protect your eyes while working boro. While the bright sodium flare may seem to pose the greatest risk it only causes temporary discomfort from overexposure. It is the UV and infra-red wavelengths that will cause permanent eye damage. You may be surprised to learn it is the molten glass itself that produces these wavelengths. If you're going to go with a pair of the Phillips 202 glasses for boro you must add at least a shade 3 flip down for more complete UV & IR protection. Shade 5 is recommended.

Myself I could not wear contac lenses while working glass, eyes got too overheated, so I got prescription lenses from Aura lens. I got the split lens with ace on top and shade 5 on bottom, they were expensive but cheaper than taking chances with my eyes, I only have 2 and want them to be the best they can be. Unless you know where you can get new ones, I would do what ever is neccesary to protect your eyes.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-09-16, 4:58pm
Now part of the Dark Side

For most of my boro work Iuse standatd ACE 202 clipons. When working with certian colors, cobalt, most adventurines, and most opaques, I have shade 3 flips ups. My glasses weigh a ton but I am unable to see the details when using shade 3's for everything. (I see the catarac surgeon tomorrow.) If I were having and issue with shade 3's not being dark enough I'd get a pair of shade 5 flip ups. My next pair od ACE202's will be prescription to cut down on the weight.
Old 2013-09-16, 5:26pm
Alaska Boro

Have success with glasses, welders shade 3 flip ups and a diddy shield from Blue Moon Glassworks. Also found shade 5 too dark for most boro related tasks.
Old 2013-09-16, 6:28pm
Queen Bee

So, in essence the philips shade 3 glasses should be sufficient for most boro work - which is what I have. Maybe it's the contact lenses that are the problem then?

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Old 2013-09-16, 9:24pm
Bliss Junkie

could also be how you are sitting, you sitting close to the torch? maybe leaning in? sometimes i do and my eyes and contacts suffer for it

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2013-09-17, 3:18am
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
So, in essence the philips shade 3 glasses should be sufficient for most boro work - which is what I have. Maybe it's the contact lenses that are the problem then?
It could be the contacts, it could also be your position, are you hunched over the torch, and/or inadiquate ventelation.
Old 2013-09-17, 4:12am

Check with your doc about wearing contacts while torching. Mine told me not to, but I don't remember why.

Old 2013-09-17, 12:09pm

I had a similar experience as you with flare with contacts and very light colored eyes. Switched to boro shade 5 for awhile but found it too dark and my eyes still got irritated with contacts. Now have multifocal lenses and found when I torch they were always going off center from dry eyes. Switched to bifocal glasses and fit overs shade 3 and am very, very happy with how I can see so much better with no eye irritation and not bothered by flare.
Old 2013-09-18, 3:08pm
Queen Bee

I have progressive lenses in my glasses, but trying to use them together is a bit dicey. I'll have to get some fit overs, sigh. It's only money. But thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions. And yes, I do think I was leaning to close to the torch too.

Donna

Old 2013-09-21, 7:03pm

I don't wear contacts but I was having eye/face irritation when I first started. Now I use shade 4 for making boro beads about 4 hours a day, as well as a Blast Shield mounted to my torch and have no more issues. The Blast Shield made a huge difference. My face doesn't even get hot any more.

Erin

Old 2013-09-30, 9:57pm

Just to give you a frame of reference all i use is a cheap pair of Didy glasses and my contacts never give me any problems. I generally go for about 2.5 hrs at a time. No matter what you end up doing however you have to make sure to consciously blink more when torching. I guarantee you will notice a big difference in how your eyes feel after your session.