Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-08-02, 2:47pm
PyronamixK

I had never seen or heard of a four stud torch on the art glass side until the GTTs came out and Willy, who has been to many, many scientific shops and has been building torches since the 80s had not seen one, either. Neither of us had ever seen four posts advertised as an option in Fusion magazine, either. Interesting.
Old 2007-08-02, 2:58pm

Yeah Kim you go girl. rip him a new behind.

Kim, that is a lot of good info. I have a desktop cnc mill that I was thinking of trading to another glass blowing for a HA 65mm.

But dam, if the 40mm uses over 120 scfh, then what would a 65mm use?

Forget that I love my GTTs

Kim have to used a big arni? That seems like a cool torch you should test.

I bet you and willy are glad to be home. Was great to meet you at the gathering. I wish we would of had more time as I would of really liked talk to and picked at willy brain more.

Robert
Old 2007-08-02, 3:09pm
Smooches!

GTT!

Miss Kate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cocktail napkins available at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2007-08-02, 3:39pm
William Hagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
William, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Of course, I find it rather interesting that you would wait over a year to express it (this thread was well over a year old when you resurrected it). But, at any rate, your opinion is your opinion and differing views are always enlightening.

However, I do take exception to some of what you are saying, especially your characterization of the GTT torches and the claims that you are making regarding the Herbert Arnolds.

Cute torches? Dinky little knobs? While the GTTs are certainly attractive (their sleek design has a very important purpose, btw), they are hardly what I would call “cute” and their knobs are not “dinky.” “Cute” implies that something is not worthy of being taken seriously. GTTs are serious torches. The term “dinky” not only infers diminutive size, but also implies “low quality” or “fragility.” GTT knobs most certainly are not fragile or of low quality! GTT knobs and their valves are the most precise in the industry. They are also the best quality I have ever seen or used (and I have used and own torches from several different manufacturers, so I am basing my opinion on observable fact).

While you may not personally care for a torch with sleek, yet purposeful...... blah blah ballah....,

HTML Code:
As for the number of valves, there is purpose behind that, too.  The valves allow for the user to adjust the torch to whatever flame size and flame chemistry they want.  Naturally, the more valves there are, the better you can dial in the flame you want.  However, most of the guys I know who use the bigger torches with lots of valves never have to worry about adjusting them while their hands are full – they use foot pedals!  They simply preset the flame to whatever characteristics they want and use a foot pedal to kick it on or off.
so does everyone else in the world!

HTML Code:
Interesting side note:  GTT was the first torch manufacturer to offer the four post option on their torches. This was expressly for the purpose of using a foot pedal.  Later, the separate feeds proved to be very useful for running the fires from separate fuel or oxygen sources (e.g. oxygen concentrator for the innerfire and tanked for the outerfire).
Really!?!? Just GTT? ~get your facts straight.

HTML Code:
Going back to the number of valves...  I think that I should point out that HAs have many, many valves.  They are, however, not intended for the user to adjust and the user should never attempt to adjust them, lest they be prepared to send the torch overseas to be recalibrated.  To get around this, many people incorporate the use of in-line regulators to control the amount of gas that gets to the torch in order to adjust the flame to a setting other than the factory pre-set for the torch.  The HA is pretty much a one-trick pony without the use of cumbersome in-line regulators.
You have no idea what you just said do you......have you ever worked on one? One is compressed air the other O2 the big one controls gas/O2 I guess you couldn't figure that out.

HTML Code:
I fail to see how having to adjust in-line regulators while your hands are full is any easier than adjusting some knobs, much less simply kicking on a foot pedal (which does not require a free hand).
Why are you adjusting gauges when your hand are full?
HTML Code:
I’m sorry, but that whole statement is just downright misleading.
~no its not.

HTML Code:
HAs are NOT efficient.  As an example, an 18mm GTT Phantom uses between 35 and 40 cubic feet of oxygen per hour for its maximum full blast flame setting.  Due to the Phantom’s triple mix design, it puts out more heat than a 40mm HA.  According to the manufacturer, the HA 40mm burner uses 3.5 cubic meters of oxygen per hour for its maximum flame (which, again, is not as hot as the Phantom’s).  That is 123.55 cubic feet of oxygen per hour!  That means that the HA 40 uses 3 to 3.5 times the amount of oxygen as a Phantom for a flame that is not even as hot.  How is that efficient?
Where do you live? or do you use the metric system for fun? I do believe the GTT'S out there with the typical O2 regulator set @ 60lbs is blowing thru far more O2 than an HA set @ 20-29lbs.......see it is a fact that GTT's require you to run higher amounts of O2 for their equipment yet unable to produce a quiet fine point center fire by any means.

You claim that they are noiseless. HAs are hardly noiseless. How can you say that they are quiet to operate when they require an air compressor to run them?

You claim that they are precise. Please define what you mean by “precise.” Would that precision be attainable without the use of in-line regulators if it were not dialed in for a tight flame at the factory? How small of a detail flame is possible on a larger HA? I doubt that you can get as small a detail flame on a HA as you could on the centerfire of a GTT.

Indestructible in design? I had the opportunity to check out a little Arni. I was shocked at the fragile external plumbing. I have not examined a larger one to see if they are plumbed the exact same way, but if so, then I would hardly consider them indestructible. Yes, the bulky heat shield around the barrel makes the torch look tough, but it does not make the torch indestructible.

External construction aside, they are still as vulnerable to damage as any other torch out there. They carbon heavily and you had better hope that you don’t have to send it back in to the factory for repair. The last time I heard about a HA repair, it was around $800. That does not include the lost income from the downtime (it takes a very long time and costs quite a bit to send a torch to Germany to get repaired, btw).

Ease of use... Yes, a single knob control sounds very appealing.... until you realize that you are limited to the flame characteristics pre-set by the manufacturer. When you add in-line regulators to further adjust the flame to your own preferences, there goes that whole notion of simplicity. And again, the use of foot pedals eliminates the need to adjust knobs. Oh, and how simple is a HA to operate if you deviate from the specific pressure settings prescribed for each torch (like if you set it up in a studio other than your own)?

HTML Code:
You mention that you feel they are ergonomically correct.  The whole reason for ergonomic design is the comfort of the worker – so they don’t injure themselves unnecessarily.  The comfort of your whole body should be taken into consideration.  For starters, how about the heat generated by the torch body itself?  Are you able to steady you hands on the torch for detail work?  How close in to the face can you get when working a small flame?  And, how about the comfort of your eyes?  HAs have more candle glare than other torch out there.  That candle glare is very uncomfortable for lots of people.  They report that they see spots after working on a HA and often have headaches afterwards.  How good is having a well rested wrist (that is, if you only make crude adjustments using the single knob control and forego any fine tuning) when you are suffering from torch burn, ringing ears, spots before your eyes, and a headache?
What else did you do today? any other arguments with others....or are you just bored with nothin better to do?

HTML Code:
I would be curious to know more about this “touchy head syndrome.”  I would also like to know why he feels that they are flawed in design.  I would be interested in his reasoning.
Drop some rods on the head of a GTT and call me and let me know how it works out for you!

HTML Code:
As for being overpriced, I would argue that GTT torches are not overpriced – and are in fact underpriced when you consider the amount of work and high quality materials that go into them and what you can accomplish with them.  But, it is funny that he would not consider HAs or Carlisles to be overpriced – especially when you factor in how much they cost to operate (oxygen usage and an additional air compressor for a Herbie).
Then mail them as much money as you want!

Well, again, you say that “6-10 knobs” (actually, the largest GTT on the market only has 9) as if you have to use all of the knobs and adjust them while you work. You do not mention that foot pedals eliminate the need to adjust knobs while your hands are full! You also fail to mention that without the use of in-line regulators, the single knob control of the HA is incredibly limiting. At least with 6-9 knobs – available for the user to adjust - you have the ability to dial in the right flame for the job – any job large or small, from soft glass to quartz. You do not have to depend on a factory-technician-in-another-country’s idea of the right flame for your working style. You get to make that choice for yourself!

I’m not trying to bash HAs. But, if anyone is interested in one, I would suggest that they do a lot of research to see if they are a practical choice for their application and budget. Some of your claims regarding both GTTs and HAs are a little exaggerated if not untrue.
It would of been easier for you to write a book and send it to me ~now as for me "resurrecting" this thread.....someone else did that.

Attack my opinion on GTT's all you want I think they are overpriced and as far as the "too many knobs" I am well aware of why they put them there and what the do thank you very much.

Now for the noise level on an HA whoever you came upon working on one to find it "far" from noiseless should look into adjusting it properly....They do not require an air compressor to run......that is an assumption YOU made. ~That option is for people who know better and what to do with it.

Have a nice day!

~I know I will cause I just bought another 40mm Zenit

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2007-08-02, 3:46pm
William Hagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlisleGuy View Post
Wow. I didn't even see the 2006 instead of the 2007. Man this thread is old. I don't know if William made the same mistake I did, but I was just looking at the month and day Paula may still have been referring to the HellCat, as it has been in development for quite some time. Sorry for the confusion.

Actually, Carlisle has offered a four post model with the CC burner since the early 80's when we first developed the EL-2 foot pedal. I can't claim that we were the first to make a foot pedal, or that we were the first to do a 4 post model, but I do believe that would predate the GTT torches.
I have worked on your equipment for well over a decade and recommend them to anyone purchasing equipment.....in fact everyone of the previous 700+ students worked on them and more than likely bought one.

.....I really got "someones" panties up in a bunch on giving my 2 cents

~the "me first" attitude is a joke when it comes to the 4 post and foot pedals.

~W~

Old 2007-08-02, 4:02pm
PyronamixK

Well, just so you know, my panties are not up in a bunch. I thought I made it clear that I find differing opinions enlightening.

As for the four-post thing, I should have qualified that statement with something like "as far as I have ever seen or known about," or "to the best of my knowledge" or something like that. But, it was just a side note and hardly a main point in my post, afterall.

You are welcome to give your two cents any time you like. But, when you try to pass a wooden nickel, don't be surprised to get called on it.
Old 2007-08-02, 4:04pm

nationals are the only torch any glass artists should use ever...

Get Your New Hagstrom Art Glass Videos on my website and Etsy now!!!
Old 2007-08-02, 4:05pm
William Hagy

Quote:
Well, just so you know, my panties are not up in a bunch. I thought I made it clear that I find differing opinions enlightening.

As for the four-post thing, I should have qualified that statement with something like "as far as I have ever seen or known about," or "to the best of my knowledge" or something like that. But, it was just a side note and hardly a main point in my post, afterall.

You are welcome to give your two cents any time you like. But, when you try to pass a wooden nickel, don't be surprised to get called on it.
Wooden nickels? do you even work on a torch? or just sell them?

Old 2007-08-02, 4:10pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norskiglass View Post
So, you can't address any of the numerous points I raised in my previous post so you resort to picking on me? That's telling.

I recently started selling torches. That is no secret. I am married to the President of GTT. That is no secret, either. But, before I ever sold a torch (or any other piece of lampworking equipment) and before I ever met my husband, I was a lampworker.
Old 2007-08-02, 4:14pm

Quote:
Kim was a lampworker long before she sold torches or concentrators or married to willy.

I think she meet willy at the gathering years ago.
Old 2007-08-02, 4:31pm
William Hagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokersdesign View Post
Kim was a lampworker long before she sold torches or concentrators or married to willy.

No wonder she Loves GTT so much!

Old 2007-08-02, 4:38pm

Um Welcome back to LE binkster...

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-08-02, 4:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagstromartglass View Post
nationals are the only torch any glass artists should use ever...
Really nationals?

is that what you use or are you making a joke?

I'm just wondering because there are some great glass artists that only use national 3As, so when some says onlt nationals I'm not sure if they are serious of joking.

and hagstrom, your stuff is off the hook. I like your myspace video
Old 2007-08-02, 4:58pm
PyronamixK

Quote:

You are correct.

I have been working glass since 1990. I had always wanted to work in a hot shop, but never had the opportunity. In 1993 (it could have been '92?) I learned about glass beadmaking with a torch. At the time, I could not afford the equipment, but kept my eye on it and put it on my list of things to someday do. I read up on it and looked, but never tried it at that time.

In 2002, I finally purchased a HotHead torch and a kiln and began making my own beads. I sold my work and began teaching beginning bead-making classes at a local stained glass studio. It wasn't too long before I could afford to upgrade my torch. I put a lot of research into it and decided to go with a GTT Lynx. It was the best decision I had ever made. I loved my Lynx!

Anyway, my work improved and my production speed increased. I sold more beads. I also expanded my repetoire and started making small boro sculptures along with soft glass beads. I tried some marbles, but round is not really my thing. I enjoyed sculptural work and wanted to go larger with my boro. I needed a larger torch than my Lynx. I still wanted the ability to work soft glass - particularly special colors. Again, I did a lot of research. I had to. A large torch was a huge investment for me, since I was not a full-time glassworker at the time.

I found the GTT Phantom to be the best torch for my needs and my budget. I contacted GTT early in 2004 for more information and that is when I first spoke to the man who is now my husband. We later met in person at the Gathering in Portland.

So, there you have it. I have been a lampworker, as well as a believer in GTTs, long before I ever met my husband. Knowing him has given me an even greater knowledge of torches and what goes into them than I could have ever had before.
Old 2007-08-02, 4:59pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Um Welcome back to LE binkster...

Paula
Thank you, Paula!
Old 2007-08-02, 5:12pm
William Hagy

Quote:
You are correct.

I have been working glass since 1990. I had always wanted to work in a hot shop, but never had the opportunity. In 1993 (it could have been '92?) I learned about glass beadmaking with a torch. At the time, I could not afford the equipment, but kept my eye on it and put it on my list of things to someday do. I read up on it and looked, but never tried it at that time.

In 2002, I finally purchased a HotHead torch and a kiln and began making my own beads. I sold my work and began teaching beginning bead-making classes at a local stained glass studio. It wasn't too long before I could afford to upgrade my torch. I put a lot of research into it and decided to go with a GTT Lynx. It was the best decision I had ever made. I loved my Lynx!

Anyway, my work improved and my production speed increased. I sold more beads. I also expanded my repetoire and started making small boro sculptures along with soft glass beads. I tried some marbles, but round is not really my thing. I enjoyed sculptural work and wanted to go larger with my boro. I needed a larger torch than my Lynx. I still wanted the ability to work soft glass - particularly special colors. Again, I did a lot of research. I had to. A large torch was a huge investment for me, since I was not a full-time glassworker at the time.

I found the GTT Phantom to be the best torch for my needs and my budget. I contacted GTT early in 2004 for more information and that is when I first spoke to the man who is now my husband. We later met in person at the Gathering in Portland.

So, there you have it. I have been a lampworker, as well as a believer in GTTs, long before I ever met my husband. Knowing him has given me an even greater knowledge of torches and what goes into them than I could have ever had before.
Now if you want to work on a Zenit burner I wont tell your husband

~Things have come along way since '91 in the lampworking realm haven't they.....I remember watching two lampworkers when I was 5 making small vases and goblet.......ode to the studio movement of the 60's

Old 2007-08-02, 10:00pm

joking and thank you

Get Your New Hagstrom Art Glass Videos on my website and Etsy now!!!
Old 2007-08-03, 9:17am
PyronamixK

Quote:
No wonder she Loves GTT so much!
No wonder you don't!

quote taken from a GLDG thread http://www.thegldg.com/forum/showthr...188#post219188
Quote:
I plan to purchase several more of the Zenit burners and hand torches for the studio as well as the bead torches they make.

I approached GTT with a pricing inquiry before I made this decision and their reply was flat out full retail,where as all other manufactures are happy to extend discounts for instructors and teaching facilities. GTT just lost out on thousands of dollars from myself and to be honest ~I rather give H.A an additional 20% for their equipment.
Old 2007-08-03, 9:30am

Oh SNAP !!!
Old 2007-08-03, 11:27am
William Hagy

Quote:
No wonder you don't!

quote taken from a GLDG thread http://www.thegldg.com/forum/showthr...188#post219188
Just as I stated on the GLDG you stand to prosper and profit from the endorsement and sales of GTT's which makes your opinion bias....yet I stated my personal experience and when I give my personal opinion it pertains to the operation of the equipment not for my pocketbook or profit hence the fact I'm not married to the man who makes GTT's let alone deal equipment.

Old 2007-08-03, 11:38am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Yeah Kim you go girl. rip him a new behind.

Kim, that is a lot of good info. I have a desktop cnc mill that I was thinking of trading to another glass blowing for a HA 65mm.

But dam, if the 40mm uses over 120 scfh, then what would a 65mm use?

Forget that I love my GTTs

Kim have to used a big arni? That seems like a cool torch you should test.

I bet you and willy are glad to be home. Was great to meet you at the gathering. I wish we would of had more time as I would of really liked talk to and picked at willy brain more.

Robert
I missed sevedral posts, and this was one of them!

It was great to meet you and your family, too, Robert!

To answer your question about the 65, according to HA, it uses 4.7 cubic meters of oxygen per hour. That translates to 165.91 cubic feet per hour.

Something that William does not understand is pressure and volume. There are torches that require large amounts of volume, but because they do not have many internal restrictions, that volume can be more free-flowing, hence the lower pressure requirement. If a torch is built with more internal restrictions, like the triple mix torches with the tiny injector tubes inside, it will need a higher pressure to push through whatever volume of gas it needs.

Sometimes, higher pressures are used to eliminate flame fluctuations (surges and drops) when switching from innerfire operation to inner and outer fire operation. On the three stage torches, like the Delta Mag, the surge or drop can be very noticeable. That is why you may need to run 100 psi on the oxygen to keep the transition from going inner-to-outer-to outer outer smooth, even though the torch is only consuming at most 80-85 cubic feet of oxygen per hour.
Old 2007-08-03, 11:46am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Just as I stated on the GLDG you stand to prosper and profit from the endorsement and sales of GTT's which makes your opinion bias....yet I stated my personal experience and when I give my personal opinion it pertains to the operation of the equipment not for my pocketbook or profit hence the fact I'm not married to the man who makes GTT's let alone deal equipment.
And just as I stated on the GLDG, if you:
  • sell torches to your students
  • earn a commission on torches sold to your students
  • or, receive a large discount on outfitting your studio with the understanding that you will be influencing their buying decisions or sending them over to buy torches
you would stand to profit.

William, I did not bash you for your opinion. I did, however, call you on your false claims. You can have whatever opinion you want. It does not have to agree with mine! When you present something as factual that is actually false, or are trying to mislead anyone, you cross a line and you should not cry "foul" when you get called out.

Like I said before, I will say it again, I have been recommending GTTs longer than I have known Willy. So, you might as well quit playing that card. My opinion is my opinion - always has been and always will be.
Old 2007-08-03, 12:22pm

Well I hope the GTT boys (and gals!) continue to prosper! They make a great torch and are wonderful to work with!! And Mrs. Willy spends a lot of time on the forums anwering technical questions and helping people. Personally I wouldn't have been able to go to a bigger torch if it wasn't for the GTT torches because the other torches throw too much heat in my face screwing up my eyes. I hope more mid age chics with dry eye find out about these torches. Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-08-03, 12:29pm
William Hagy

Default The begining or the END?

Quote:
HTML Code:
And just as I stated on the GLDG, if you:[list][*]sell torches to your students[*]earn a commission on torches sold to your students[*]or, receive a large discount on outfitting your studio with the understanding that you will be influencing their buying decisions or sending them over to buy torches[/list]you would stand to profit.
You are dead wrong and obviously doling out assumptions.

HTML Code:
William, I did not bash you for your opinion.  I did, however, call you on your false claims.  You can have whatever opinion you want.  It does not have to agree with mine!  When you present something as factual that is actually false, or are trying to mislead anyone, you cross a line and you should not cry "foul" when you get called out.
Call me out all day long if you like ~no hard feelings you have written PAGES of this ongoing "discussion" and it has been interesting getting to know you. My opinion is my opinion....I don't care for GTT's no matter how you angle things to me or others as "selling points"

HTML Code:
Like I said before, I will say it again, I have been recommending GTTs longer than I have known Willy.  So, you might as well quit playing that card.  My opinion is my opinion - always has been and always will be.
Oh its not a card....its a fact you do and will profit from the sales of GTT as I never will profit from equipment sales period ~I have no intentions on it now or in the future. ~I work with glass and operate various torches thank you.

I Enjoy Working On A Herbert Arnold!! so leave me alone thanks!

*sigh*

Old 2007-08-03, 12:58pm

Quote:
Sometimes, higher pressures are used to eliminate flame fluctuations (surges and drops) when switching from innerfire operation to inner and outer fire operation. On the three stage torches, like the Delta Mag, the surge or drop can be very noticeable. That is why you may need to run 100 psi on the oxygen to keep the transition from going inner-to-outer-to outer outer smooth, even though the torch is only consuming at most 80-85 cubic feet of oxygen per hour.
I was not aware that you recommended such a high PSI on that torch, although I do understand why you are based on the description above. Quick question. Why not just suggest to the user that they get a 9 stud (or is that 6 stud) model and have them use inline regulators that are separately set and adjusted for each of the zones (inner, inner-outer, and outer)? Using the line regulators would eliminate fluctuation between these zones without requiring such a high pressure setup.

I find that with a really high pressure setup like that, although you may take care of fluctuation issues, you tend to have a more forceful flame than you may want. That's no fault of the torch, but makes the flame rather harsh in the end.

Of course, asking the operator to purchase additional equipment is not always the best situation, especially if money is a major issue. However, I would think the end result would be worth it.

-always a sale and new items to check out!
East coast supplier of colored glass rod in 104 and 33, tools, torches, gloves, and everything else a flameworker needs
Where LE users receive 15% off glass, and 10% on everything else, every day all year long!
Old 2007-08-03, 3:31pm

What is an inline regulator and where do you get them, link?

On my delta mag I did have 6 posts and the first set of posts where running off one set of regulators connected to a 3 way manifold at the tanks with the pressure set to 15 PSI.

The second set of posts where running off a second set of regulators connected to a 3 way manifold at the tank with the pressure set to 35 PSI.

The third set of posts where running off a third set of regulators connected to a 3 way manifold at the tank with the pressure set to 50 PSI.

That allowed me to adjust the pressure running to the each ring of the torch. That allowed me to avoid have to forceful or to touchy of a flame on any of the 3 flames.
Old 2007-08-03, 4:02pm
PyronamixK

My mistake about 100 psi on a Mag (I think 100 psi was what Mike Plane was running his Python on). It does not need to be that high.

The Delta Mag can run on like 40-50 psi (when you're feeding the whole torch from a single source) - ask Wally if you want to know for sure.

At any rate, you can have very high pressures and still be able to dial in a soft flame. You have the pressure there available to you if you want to dial in a forceful flame, but you can still dial in a soft flame. I know that there are a lot of guys (boro workers, especially) who like to run higher pressures than recommended so they can have a very forceful flame when they want it.

Below are some pictures (sorry for the blurriness) of a hand torch being run on high pressures and low pressures. Notice that you can still get the same small, soft flame regardless of the pressure setting. The higher pressure did not make the flame more forceful. That forceful flame is available, but not there unless dialed in.

Robert, in-line pressure regulators should be available at your local welding shop.
Old 2007-08-03, 4:04pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Well I hope the GTT boys (and gals!) continue to prosper! They make a great torch and are wonderful to work with!! And Mrs. Willy spends a lot of time on the forums anwering technical questions and helping people. Personally I wouldn't have been able to go to a bigger torch if it wasn't for the GTT torches because the other torches throw too much heat in my face screwing up my eyes. I hope more mid age chics with dry eye find out about these torches. Paula
Thanks, Paula!
Old 2007-08-06, 6:56am

Quote:
What is an inline regulator and where do you get them, link?

On my delta mag I did have 6 posts and the first set of posts where running off one set of regulators connected to a 3 way manifold at the tanks with the pressure set to 15 PSI.

The second set of posts where running off a second set of regulators connected to a 3 way manifold at the tank with the pressure set to 35 PSI.

The third set of posts where running off a third set of regulators connected to a 3 way manifold at the tank with the pressure set to 50 PSI.

That allowed me to adjust the pressure running to the each ring of the torch. That allowed me to avoid have to forceful or to touchy of a flame on any of the 3 flames.
The way you are describing your setup is very similar to what I was mentioning. Having separate regulators is the key to ensuring that changes on one ring does not affect the others.

As for inline regulators, that is just a term for a regulator that is designed not to go onto a tank, and usually deals with much lower pressures than a tank. The idea behind the inline regulator is that you could have a main set of tank regs set pretty high (100 PSI or so) then have these smaller inline regulators setup right at your bench. Some of the benefits are listed below:

- Because you are going through main regs and then inline regs, you are effectively using a dual regulation setup, which will always present a more consistent and even pressure than a single regulator (unless the single regulator is a dual stage, which is quite expensive). This alleviates the "breathing" effect that some experience where the flame grows and shrinks at regular intervals.

- Since the line regs are at your bench, you can adjust them as needed without having to go back to the tanks.

- Inline regs are usually much less expensive than tank regs. Quality tank regs are around $100 or more, where as quality inline regs are around $40.

-always a sale and new items to check out!
East coast supplier of colored glass rod in 104 and 33, tools, torches, gloves, and everything else a flameworker needs
Where LE users receive 15% off glass, and 10% on everything else, every day all year long!
Old 2007-08-06, 11:53am

Thanks Chris! You are a great help too!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !