Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-07-31, 9:33am
Finger Burning Maniac!

Question What happened to Vetrofond Black?!

I just bought another (2 lb) batch of Vetrofond black as it has been my favorite black to work with up to this point. A lot of my favorite beads to make rely on the fact the the black didn't feather or 'creep' over white applied on top.

As soon as I used the first rod from the new batch, I knew something was different. It shocked like crazy even when pre-heated. And then when I tried to 'float' my white dots on top to push into the nice triangles and diamonds I usally get, the black frayed around the edges of the white and made a real mess of what is usaully a nice crisp looking bead.

Anyone else noticed the change? Someone please tell me I haven't inhaled too many torch fumes and I just missed the notice that vetrofond was changing their black formula.

Anyone have suggestions for a replacement?

Thanks!
Old 2006-07-31, 9:43am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I noticed a change.. I also noticed a change in Vetrofond white... the batches I had been getting were a smooth surface.. Very glossy and melted like butter. The most recent ones I have gotten have been more like Moretti White.. Very shocky and with a more coarse matte outside. I even questioned whether it was effetre white that I actually got and they were able to tell how it was cut on the ends whether it was vetrofond or effetre.. And it was Vetrofond.. So something must have changed.
Old 2006-07-31, 9:49am
A True Woofer

Yes, my vetro black has been breaking in 1/2 inch pieces all over my workbench. Plus it's doing this weird "cooking" thing if it's heated too long. I'm ready to dump it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-31, 10:13am
a pox upon an idiot :..

Me too, it's shocky and boils, sucks with Raku. I'm only using it for pulling stringers, but five pounds is alot of stringers! What a waste of money.

Edie
Old 2006-07-31, 2:58pm
on hiatus...

Oh no... how old is the vetrofond that you noticed has changed?
Old 2006-07-31, 3:34pm
Entropy increasing....

Ok there is a vetrofond odd lot black that came out a few months back. It's slightly bigger rods than normal and it's really shocky. It was much cheaper than the regular, not more expensive. That is kind of suspicioius, what? lol Since when are odd lots less expensive?
Old 2006-07-31, 3:37pm
Finger Burning Maniac!

Unhappy Vetrofond Black

This questionable Vetrofond black glass is from my latest order. I received this glass about two weeks ago. I finished the last of my old stuff last week and grabbed a rod of the new batch to use this weekend. And proceeded to freak out because I can't get the darned stuff to work the same.

I've put in a call to Frantz Art Glass to see if there's any known change to the vetrofond black formula, but haven't received an answer back yet. I'll keep y'all posted on what I learn.
Old 2006-07-31, 6:21pm
odd lot addict

I had wanted to buy some more vetrofond black at the gathering and noticed how the rods had a gritty texture on the outside. . . (not just rough, but gritty) so I didn't buy any. The last time I bought glass that had the gritty texture on the outside it developed black spots in the flame. Now I realize that with black it wouldn't really be a problem, but my assumption was that it wouldn't work as nicely as my previous batches of V-064.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-07-31, 7:01pm
A True Woofer

I got mine from Sungirl501 maybe about 3 or 4 weeks ago. It's really annoying that it keeps shocking.

Old 2006-08-01, 3:39am

Hi,
I heard that Vet Black was a much better option than Moretti, so I purchased some here in Australia, and was quickly disheartened. My rods split lengthways up the rod. Terribly shocky! Same deal, the black spread so much on the beads that I am no longer using what I have left until I work out what to do with it. I purchased a few months back. Most of it was wasted due to terrible splitting.
Esin
Old 2006-08-01, 2:07pm
Contessa Glass

I have to admit that I never tried the "good" vetro black. But if its any help, I've always used the cheap old moretti transparent black on top of white without any running or smearing even when pressing. Maybe because its a transparent and "sinks in" instead of spreading, it helps to keep its crisp lines. Also, the sinking in intensifies the color so it doesn't look purple at all. It might be an acceptable substitute, hopefully.

Through great effort and hard work, a precious dream comes true

Old 2006-08-02, 7:11am
Aussie Jewellery Queen

Yep.. me too! I've had the same trouble... dreadful boiling and devit.... I went back to Moretti black and it was perfect...

Shelley
Old 2006-08-02, 7:50am
Student of DachZen

I've been having issues with it as well. I've gone back to moretti black for the time being. On some organic beads having it boil can be an interesting effect, but on most it's just nasty. I've had this issue with the last two batches I bought - I got a new batch just a couple or three weeks ago and it's still doing the same stuff. I've relegated it to the "junk glass" pile to be used for bead cores where I'll layer something over it that isn't junk.

So no, I don't think it's anyone's imagination - the Vetro Black sucks right now.

T
Old 2006-08-02, 5:24pm
greenesh

Default Vetro Black

I am SO glad to hear it's not just me!
I am a newbie, and just got back last week from a 7 days, 7 states, 7 universities trip (my twin sons are seniors this year). It was not a lot of fun EXCEPT I was able to drop by Frantz Art Glass! Talk about a kid in a candy shop!
So...I bought lots of glass, and over a pound of the Vetro Black (because it was cheaper).
Shocky, hard to melt, YUCK!
I put it away and ordered Moretti online.
Sad...
Shirley
Billings, MT
Old 2006-08-02, 5:59pm
Moving On

I'm SO glad to read this. I bought some in the last two months, and honestly don't remember from which vendor, but it has been exploding all over, and if I get it to melt, it boils. AAAARRRGH!-Gail

Old 2006-08-03, 8:37am
A True Woofer

I put mine away in a tube and marked it "bad vetro black". I'm taking it to the dump this afternoon. This is the first "bad" batch I've ever gotten of any type of glass. I used to think bad batches were a myth. Like maybe the people complaining didn't really know what they were doing. Now because it happened to me, I realize that bad batches do exist. LOL.

Old 2006-08-03, 8:48am
tweetysweetie

Ellen! Where were you about 6yrs ago when all of us were having such a devil of a time with the Moretti clear????? Scummy, devit etc, etc....there sure were alot of us that "didn't really know what we were doing!!!" Ah, my little dinner mate....you crack me up, lol...next time I'll be throwing food, instead of kisses!

Old 2006-08-03, 10:01am
A True Woofer

Sorry, Catharine. Six years ago I didn't even know what lampworking was!