TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: How do you light your torch??
Sparker 147 40.72%
Plastic Butane Lighter 111 30.75%
Zippo 22 6.09%
Matches 52 14.40%
Something else I'm not thinking of 29 8.03%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-11-28, 8:13pm
Scientific Glass Girl

Default Which do you use? Torch lighting question..

hello all! as some of you know, i go to school for scientific glass technology at salem community college in NJ. we're learning alot about lab safety and things along that line. just curious, so i'm posting a poll to see what beadmakers use...

how do you light your torch???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-11-28, 8:20pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I use a BBQ style lighter, nearly empty.. Just enough to spark to light it.. Store it away in a drawer
Old 2006-11-28, 8:22pm
Life is change. Love it

BBQ lighter also, put away after use.

Old 2006-11-28, 8:24pm
Scientific Glass Girl

and if you're answering, "something else i'm not thinking of" post it! i'd like to hear other methods too.

Old 2006-11-28, 8:27pm

I use a welding torch striker. It gives off enough sparks to light the torch. I feel that it is safer than a lighter. I have used lighters though. I have also seen them blow up. So that is why now I've learned to use a striker.

Rose Leslie
Old 2006-11-28, 8:43pm
Enabler

I'm a match girl. I hate strikers, and I'm too big a chicken to try my bic! LOL!

Old 2006-11-28, 9:06pm
Guera loca

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganbushfl View Post
I use a BBQ style lighter, nearly empty.. Just enough to spark to light it.. Store it away in a drawer
That's what I use, but mine is completely empty. The spark comes from the flint, but there's no butane left and therefore no risk.

I hate those sparker/striker things - none of mine gives me as consistent a spark as my used-up long empty butane thingy. Besides, we use the long butane lighters at the restaurant to light our candles, so I'll never run out of empty ones...

Oh, and it is NEVER on my bench, just in case. I keep it on top of a rolling cabinet underneath my bench.

Barb

- our restaurant
Old 2006-11-28, 9:14pm

Well, as a long term silver fabricator I have always used the striker across the ridged metal surface thingie. Older people I note find it easier to use the battery operated strikers. I consider these the safest to use as there is no other fuel around. I have to say I feel the most comfortable with my hand held striker ...

I wouldn't want a butane lighter close by, or matches for that matter. It's easy to use the striker imho...and safest.

sadie

Old 2006-11-28, 9:24pm
Formerly known as LT

I purchased a striker when I first started and noticed it left crap on the face of my torch. I decided to just use a basic lighter and put it on a shelf out of the way after I light up.
Old 2006-11-28, 9:30pm

Aim-N-Flame (bbq lighter!)...it's the only thing I can keep lit long enough to light my hothead outside--it's windyish & I'm ususally chasing the gas around trying to get it to light
Once it's lit I put the lighter back inside the house...so no chance of blowing it up with flying glass...

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-11-28, 9:41pm
torch monkey 4 life

We use wooden matches. As an added bonus, I like the way they smell when they burn.

The strikers we've gotten are a PITA. Seems like you have to work it forever just to get it to light the torch. I'd rather get RSI from something a little more fun than a sparker.
Old 2006-11-28, 10:57pm

I use a plain old Bic lighter. I put it away in a drawer after I light the torch, though. I would never leave it out on my work bench.

Old 2006-11-28, 11:11pm

I use just a bic lighter or a bbq lighter. hey normally go on my lap or to a side shelf.
Irene

Old 2006-11-29, 2:19am
Fast Roller

I use wooden matches, and store them away after the torch is lit.
Old 2006-11-29, 5:12am
Eight Miles Wide

I use a Bic lighter, and put it in my back pocket after lighting.

Old 2006-11-29, 5:17am
Capp'in Fool

Hey Ali...I use my bic lighter and it sits on the table next to me.

Old 2006-11-29, 5:17am
Anyone need some spacers?

I use a zappo lighter it has a nice little stand that came with it. I tried for a year to use the flint striker you get when you get your set up and it worked half the time. The zappo has a steal case and I put it over on the other desk when done so it is not near the torch area. I know this is a big no no but I just got totaly sick of trying with the other thing.

Tracy
Old 2006-11-29, 5:25am
old fart

a propane torch

Old 2006-11-29, 6:15am
Always with a smile!

battery operated striker

) and
)
Old 2006-11-29, 6:21am

I use a metal housed - gas filled barbecue\oven lighter.

I'm not a fan of the plastic lighters - they can be nasty if breached by something hot.

And I dont like most of the piezo lighters around as they have plastic housings.

I justify the metal one in that hopefully its less likely to go off if an accident occurs.
Old 2006-11-29, 6:33am

BBQ lighter that is kept on a shelf away from the bench
Old 2006-11-29, 6:47am
Facebook addict

Striker here, but used a lighter for the HH.

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2006-11-29, 6:54am
I'm a lilac!

I use a welding striker. They're $2 at the welding shop and refill flints are something ridiculous like 10 for 79 cents, one flint lasts a year, and I like being able to keep it with my other tools on the workbench without worrying about blowing myself up, LOL!

Old 2006-11-29, 7:13am
Mitzy

I have a sparker, but I don't know where it is. I use a long bbq lighter most of the time. It lives across the room from the torch in a ceramic flower vase with extra mandrels. I do always walk over there (about four steps away) and put it back in the vase before I torch.
I also use long wooden matches sometimes.

Old 2006-11-29, 7:17am
Beach Brat

I have used the spark lighter, zippo, matches and plastic BIC lighter.

I HATE the spark lighter. It rarely strikes the first time, and by the time it does, there's such a buildup of propane I get a real big "woosh" and a giant flame. Scary!

I have taken some CE classes at Salem CC and Carlisle School of Glass Art in Millville, NJ, and use matches. I prefer WOODEN matches to the cardboard ones because my fingers are farther away from the flame, and they seem to light easier.

My good friend gave me a Zippo lighter, which I love. It's all metal, and I feel safer with this than the plastic lighters. I always place it on a shelf under my steel worktable as soon as my torch is lit. It's good to know that when the butane is all used up, I can still use it with just the flint. I didn't even think of that.

When I use the plastic lighter, I also place it out of harms way as soon as the torch is lit.

This actually brings up another question...

For those who don't use a sparklighter, do you light your lighter/match first, place it under the torch, then turn on the propane? Or do you turn on the propane first, then light your torch?

I light my lighter first, then turn on the propane. That way I don't get a huge "woosh" when it lights up. But I know people who really like that "woosh".

Just wondering...

It's more than just a bead; it's an adventure

Old 2006-11-29, 7:23am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

I like the woosh, i turn on propane, light it, bic, turn on oxy, stick the bic in my bra, or on the other side of the table..
seems to me by the time you get a match lit, or the striker going youve got alot more propane built up?
I use stick matches to when i cant find a lighter..

~~
~~
Old 2006-11-29, 7:35am

striker.
Old 2006-11-29, 7:56am
Covered in glitter

I have a huge box of wooden matches that I carry in my 'bag o stuff'. Don't know why but I love boxes of wooden matches.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2006-11-29, 7:56am

I use a bic lighter.... when I get my studio done and upgrade.. I plan on using a striker ...
Old 2006-11-29, 8:38am
Button Queen

I'm a Zippo gal.... Metal housing, zippo fuel and not butane. MUCH safer. I couldn't STAND the striker thingies. I can never get a good spark, and the big Whhosssh scares the bejeezus out of me.

I light the zippo first, turn on the NG, and then light it.

Barbara