No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2021-02-20, 6:17am
Renee

Default Barley box

Hi everyone!
I have searched and searched for directions on how to make a barley box but can’t find. I am getting fumes inside the house that smell like chlorine.
I work in the basement garage with the setup pictured. Behind me- about 10feet I have the garage door open about 20 inches and a fan in front of that to bring in fresh air..
To the right of torch I open top screen on door.
We just replaced the vent fan so that is pulling well.
Still though, I get the fumes in my basement apt and upstairs..There is a door going between garage and inside apt.
does anyone have any thoughts?
Barley box plans?
I didn’t used to have this problem and now it’s getting frustrating!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2021-02-20, 8:45am
Loving learning

Is the fan vent outside too close to an area that it could be pulling fumes back in again? I'm wondering where the door goes to that you said the screen is open.
Old 2021-02-20, 12:37pm
Slogan Challenged...

have you tried the incense test? if it's pulling the smoke away from your workbench, it is pulling the fumes. So it might be a matter of where those expelled fumes are going. Eileen might be correct regarding the screen door close to the fan. You might want to keep that closed

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2021-02-20, 3:43pm
Renee

Thanks so much Eileen and Kristin! I will try closing the screen door tomorrow. It makes sense what you are saying. The fan does pull the fumes but with the door less than 3’ away, it may be pulling the fumes right back in. I don’t smell them in my studio tho- it’s mostly somehow going upstairs.

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2021-02-20, 11:22pm
Phill

Aye, one of our safety gurus said you need at least ten feet separation of the exhaust outside from where your make up air is drawing from.

Oh, and make sure you are not pulling fumes from the furnace or gas water heated back down the chimney as well.

They only get drawn "up" the chimney by the heat of the fumes so it doesn't take much at all to draw the fumes back down and into your house.

Do a "smoke test" near the furnace, water heater and even gas dryer if you have one to make sure.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2021-02-20 at 11:27pm.