LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-10, 10:29am
passionate about pets

Mark in your opinion what would you use for this push pin idea then ......

nails?
victrola needles?
something else?

i guess i am just trying to figure out the best way to make push pins......and i am just looking for help......I take everyones opinions to heart when i post my own thread and i have found everyone's opinion helpful in my decision. I have not found anyone condescending. I am a bit analitical sometimes and the more opinions or information i get the better i can make my decision.

keep up the opinions...

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-10, 10:31am
passionate about pets

donna - let us know what you have come up with.....
i too am going out to find something to try push pins with

*StOrM*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-10, 10:45am

I tried yesterday with #18 wire brads (the smallest I could find). They're difficult to push into the corkboard and feel like nails, not like push pins.
Old 2008-02-10, 10:55am
passionate about pets

robinj - thats too bad......

back to the drawing board........I am going out today and i am going to pick up a cork board and some stuff from the hardware store......I have searched online and there are some brass nails i found seem to be cheaper....i worry about melting them though......i also worry about the coatings they put on the nails and stuff.....so i am torn....

*StOrM*

Old 2008-02-10, 11:49am
Glass-aholic

if you made beads on the ends of 1/16" and were to epoxy a nail, or needle into it, you would avoid the discoloration thing. Most tacks are made this way, and you could use whatever material you wanted if it is not going into the flame.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-02-10, 11:50am
Glass-aholic

you could for starters, buy push pins (the plastic ones at the $1 store) and take the plastic off the top for comparison.

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-02-10, 12:30pm
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

I am not sure what the best way to go is yet, I will be going into the city tomorrow and hit up the industrial fastener distributer the marine store and the hardware store for several differant sharp things I will play with them and let you know what I have found out.

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2008-02-10, 3:52pm
passionate about pets

thanks mark

*StOrM*

Old 2008-02-10, 5:21pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Parkinson View Post
DeAnne

I will be making at least a couple more I'll post here when they are ready as to the tacks that too I will post when I find a price. If I do a miny production run of mandrels I'll include a hundred or so tacks with them we'll have to see how my machine work on the lathe turns out

p.s. yes a pin vice will probably work as long as it is one of the steel ones not the cheap aluminum ones they will last about .5 sec if you accidentally "flash" it in the flame don't ask me how I know
Hey, WHO YOU CALLIN' CHEAP? (Just kidding - I actually resemble that remark, Mark!!!) Yeah, glad I checked here first!!!! That would have been an ugly meltdown!!! Ha...!

You know where to find me!
DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-02-10, 5:49pm
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

DeAnne you know I whould never call you cheap ... frugal ... careful ... oh who am I kidding ... tight ... as in as water tight as a ducks .....

ducking and running for cover

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2008-02-11, 10:46am
passionate about pets

Let me know if you are interested in a bulk buy of the victrola needles......i am getting a quote from them and i need to know how many needles to ask him for.

Thanks

*StOrM*

Old 2008-02-11, 2:11pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

I've never tried making them before but maybe these might work. The pins are stainless and the heads are aluminum. I'm thinking you may have to use gentle heat because of the low melting point of the aluminum.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz649/16/?w...teel+Push+Pins

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2008-02-11, 2:57pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

What about using T-pins.. Dick blick has stainless steel ones but they are pretty long.. This one has littler ones but not stainless but I am sure they are out there and super cheap..
http://www.safetypins.com/steel_pins.htm
Old 2008-02-11, 5:46pm
Glass-aholic

Good idea! I have a bunch of T pins at home... I'll have to experiment!!!

Either on a 1/16" mandrel and cut and glue or just cut down and put in a pin vise....

Old 2008-02-11, 6:05pm
Just plain Bill!

Lynnie asked me to type this suggestion: what about using 3/64 mandrel stock and sharpening the tips once you cool and cut them? It is smaller in diameter than 1/16 and pretty stiff yet fine!
Visit Our Website!

Old 2008-02-11, 6:50pm
passionate about pets

they would cost about the same as the victrola needles and those are already cut and sharpend....

the T pins are nickle plated so i would have to try one to see if the plating melts off. and see what it looks like after your finished the piece.

someone suggested that your buy the stainless steel push pins and melt off the plastic part and use the metal. i think this would be the cheapest way cause a box of 100 push pins are like 2.00

*StOrM*

Old 2008-02-11, 6:54pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would think a good whack with a hammer would break the plastic off the end of the pin - might not need to melt it off .

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-02-11, 7:32pm

a good whack with a hammer definitely works, but sheesh....
be careful and wear your safety glassed.
I tried it and it worked, but not sure if I want to whack the heck out of the darn thing every time I want to make one.

Anyone know if the manufacturer can be contacted ? Perhaps they might be willing to sell the pins outright???

Jo
Old 2008-02-11, 8:34pm
passionate about pets

i have been looking and i really can find anything close other than those darn Victrola needles.....i will keep searching though

*StOrM*

Old 2008-02-11, 9:00pm
Just plain Bill!

What do victrola needles cost? You could get 12 - 1 inch pins from 1 - 3/64 mandrel (cost for 1 mandrel is probably $1 at most probably less)...
Visit Our Website!

Old 2008-02-11, 9:18pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArtemisLampwork View Post
What do victrola needles cost? You could get 12 - 1 inch pins from 1 - 3/64 mandrel (cost for 1 mandrel is probably $1 at most probably less)...
Hey Lynnie!!!!

Great to see you here - you know I think about you often!!!! And "MrArtemisLampwork" - yesssssssssssssss!!! Tee Hee Hee....I love it!!!! (Is that a picture of Mr. Niceguy in your Avatar? )

I like your idea of using the mandrels, but I'm so short on time, before I explore this option, I'm waiting to see what other's come up with! (Not lazy, just crazy!!!)

Hugs to you my friend!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-02-11, 9:42pm
passionate about pets

MrArtemisLampwork - you can get 25 for $6.00 on there web site but they are willing to do a bulk buy and i am just getting the cost of them right now (waiting for an e-mail back) and they are already sharp and pointy and only 5/8'' long......less work .i did post a picture some time ago.

I am also waiting for a quote from a push pin manufacturer to see if i can just buy the metal pins i am sure they will be cheap.....i just want to make sure they are steel.....and to see if they are coated with anything...i will let you all know what i come up with......my only problem is that i don't have my own business yet so if they need a tax # or something i can't buy them. so if that is the case i am hoping someone could get them and ship me some.

*StOrM*

Old 2008-02-12, 2:21am
as in the state

One of the links posted earlier that had the zinc coating also had quilting pins that were stainless steel. I'm not sure if they were coated with anything or not. The others that the site had listed mentioned coatings, but these quilting pins didn't say.

Let us know about the victrola needles...I was thinking about mandrels as well, but what a PITA to sharpen each of them. If they are already sharpened, in my book, it's worth a little extra cost.

I'm also curious about the push pin info!

-Amy
Old 2008-02-12, 7:44pm
passionate about pets

Ok, so I got an answer about the victrola needles......They wanted to know how many I wanted....so I asked for about 1000. That would give Me 40 sets of 25. And the price would be about .19 cents a piece instead of .24 cents.

I am still waiting to hear something from the push pin company.......I am sure they will be cheaper.

i will keep you all posted.

*StOrM*

Old 2008-02-13, 6:47pm
as in the state

I went to Michael's to the quilting/sewing section and found some pins that look like they could be good push pins. They were Clover brand, I'm not sure how many were in the package, but looks around 100 for $7.49.

They are called "applique pins" and the back says they are made of steel with a polyester resin head.

All the other pins in the section said they were steel pins with nickel coating. This one didn't say anything about a coating, so...here's hoping! I will try them next week when I get to torch.

-Amy
Old 2008-02-13, 9:18pm
passionate about pets

Thats good news..............I would like to see how they look Amy......let us know how they turn out.

*StOrM*

Old 2008-02-14, 2:41am
as in the state

I will definitely keep you posted on what they look like and how they work.

But I would like some of the victrola needles when/if you get them. I think those would be nice as a "classier" type of thing, you know? Someone mentioned that they used to be individually wrapped and stored in little boxes, so I can just picture hand made pins, individually wrapped, presented in a little gift box, perhaps as a set of 6 or 10...I dunno, sounds kind of neat to me.

-Amy
Old 2008-02-15, 12:13pm
Semi Retired

Well, I did some experiments yesterday with brads and pins I bought from Michaels and hardware store. Left to right: Applecore applique pins, upholstery nickled plated steel tacks, and brads. The brads are a bit thick and the pins are a bit thin. I like the tacks best but couln't find any that's not plated.

|

|

|

|

Old 2008-02-15, 12:20pm
Glass-aholic

looking good! Could we see the other side? Please? I am courious how the pin looks. There were all done in the flame?or were some glued?

Old 2008-02-15, 1:48pm
Semi Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
looking good! Could we see the other side? Please? I am courious how the pin looks. There were all done in the flame?or were some glued?
No glue used. They were all flameworked. The heart was premade using the petal puller.

|

|

|

|