Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-15, 2:52pm

Default real pins

i have a roll of real pins for dressmaking from my grandmother, i made the dogs on a punti and grabbed the pin with tweezers and heated glass and pushed it in to hot spot pulled out a teeny bit then held my breath till it set up, popped them into a hot oven 968 and annealed an inch an hour then cooled 50 an hour to strain point.
there are on a map at the animal shelter i volunteer at to mark all the states/places our dogs go to.
i have no idea what the pins were made of, they have the tiny heads on them, all metal.
this was done with moretti, it doesnt work with boro without gouging a hole to later epoxy pin in.
ro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.

Last edited by Ro; 2008-02-15 at 3:04pm.
Old 2008-02-15, 5:38pm
passionate about pets

dichromary - Ok, I really like the idea and look of the tacks. very nice work by the way. So does anyone know how to make them look clean again on the back side where the metal is? Can you tumble them ? or just buff them?

dichromary - can you try to buff one of them to see if you can get it clean?

I am sorry that i have not trying this yet....I do not have a set up at home and it is a 30 min drive to get to the studio where i torch.....plus i am not sure if i like their ventalation very much so i try not to so things like this there so i don't poison myself.

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-28, 2:01pm
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

Finally got the Victrolla needles to try ... they are nickel plated steel ... the shape is nice, I made up ten pins they are in the kiln ... will post later with pics when they come out but the steel discoloured pretty good just heating to get the glass to stick maybe polishing them will work ... gaaahhh I hate waiting for new stuff I playing with to come out of the kiln ... I want to know NOW

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2008-02-28, 3:18pm
passionate about pets

Mark - sounds good......can you just pickle steel to make the finish go back to normal? or do you have to polish it off?

I would love to see pictures.

I am still trying to get my torch up and running.....so no glass from me in a while

*StOrM*

Old 2008-02-29, 7:58am

Default pics using the victrolla needles (loud size)

the pins do discolour in the flame and in the kiln (as does stainless) but they seem to clean up well with a light buff with steel wool or a 3m pad (green scubie) as most of the pin will be in the wall or cork I don't believe that this would be a problem for most people.

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2008-02-29, 9:13am

Here's my rendition. I got the bases at Home Depot. I think they are made by Ook. They have a full line of picture hangers. I used epoxy to glue them on and really, I couldn't get them off if I tried. I made a full bead and then ground down a flat spot.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 2008-02-29, 9:15am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

OOh Cynthia - that is VERY cool.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-02-29, 9:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Here's my rendition. I got the bases at Home Depot. I think they are made by Ook. They have a full line of picture hangers. I used epoxy to glue them on and really, I couldn't get them off if I tried. I made a full bead and then ground down a flat spot.

Hope this helps a little.
Very pretty Cynthia. Which epoxy did you use or would any two-part epoxy work?

Last edited by Ari'elle; 2008-02-29 at 9:25am.
Old 2008-02-29, 9:25am

Mark those are beautiful! How long are the needles?

Old 2008-02-29, 10:04am

I used a two part epoxy. Just make sure it says ok for glass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari'elle View Post
Very pretty Cynthia. Which epoxy did you use or would any two-part epoxy work?

Old 2008-02-29, 10:05am

Thank you Squid!

Old 2008-02-29, 10:09am
Trying to Hope!

Nice job

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-02-29, 10:10am
Glass-aholic

Cynthia those ROCK!! VERY COOL!! I love the floral!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-02-29, 11:04am
passionate about pets

Cynthia - I love the look of those.....so you just ground down a bead until you saw no mandrel mark?

Mark - great job , those are the perfect length.....it also looks like you could clean up the black marks quite easy to make them look more professional.

great job you guys.....i so need to get this studio set up

*StOrM*

Old 2008-02-29, 11:25am

Woops, I said bead didn't I? Sorry guys. I made a small marble but actually Storm, I guess you could also do what you said.

I like when the push pins seat all the way down onto what you are pinning them too. That's why I make one side flat.

Old 2008-02-29, 11:28am
I speak Murrini!

Wow, beautiful!!! When I use 2 part epoxy for glass (I've made miniature kaleidoscopes for years!), I go with "330 2-part Epoxy" - it is crystal clear, and mixes up wonderfully...just thick enough to hold but not run. I have items that were glued over 5 years ago, and still no yellowing or releasing. Just thought I'd add my two cents...

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-02-29, 11:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari'elle View Post
Mark those are beautiful! How long are the needles?
they are 5/8" long 1/16" thick

on

Old 2008-02-29, 12:02pm
I need more boro stuff

Those push pins are beautiful.

So are we going to do bulk buys? Anyone? Anyone?

Old 2008-02-29, 2:35pm

the victrola needles are available on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-NEW-PHONOGRA...QQcmdZViewItem

at $4.50 for 100 I got the 'loud' ones they are thicker

on

Old 2008-02-29, 5:42pm
passionate about pets

yeah I think mark found a way better buy....than i did on a different web site.....

so buy from that ebay site if you want victrola needles. (loud size)

*StOrM*

Old 2008-02-29, 5:45pm
passionate about pets

cynthia - I don't know how to make a marble .......i guess i will just make a bead and grind it down.. I wish i could make a marble and know how to do implosions too....no one here can teach me (i don't think) i have watched a few videos but still not sure if i can.

*StOrM*

Old 2008-03-01, 11:42am
Glass-aholic

Storm, just make a round bead (or any other shape) on the end of a dipped 1/16th mandrel. Then clean out the hole and glue in the needle, no grinding necessary.

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-03-01, 4:03pm

how about those t pins used in macrame, cut off ?
Old 2008-03-01, 7:50pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
Storm, just make a round bead (or any other shape) on the end of a dipped 1/16th mandrel. Then clean out the hole and glue in the needle, no grinding necessary.
that is a fantastic idea.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-03-02, 12:45am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher wren View Post
how about those t pins used in macrame, cut off ?
this is exactly what I was thinking!!! I made a few push pin size 'beads' but I don't think 104 raku likes to be encased... too bad they were pretty!!! I just cut the ends off T pins. I did not bother gluing them cuz the beads had cracks in them near the raku....

Old 2008-03-03, 10:01am
passionate about pets

thats a great idea.....i will have to try that

*StOrM*

Old 2008-03-04, 7:54am
Miss my BoBo Griff

I haven't read the entire thread but wanted to throw in that the pin ends that are smooth all the way up i.e. don't have a "head" flare at the top (that goes inside the glass) may eventually pull out. Genrally from fusing you put a nub or curl or something that takes up more space at the point it goes into the glass to keep it from pulling out. metal expands and contracts throughout it's life and I have seen hangers on fused stuff pull out if put in without the above mentioned "nub"...just a thought
chrisann

Old 2008-03-04, 10:36am

chrisann you bring up a very valid point and one I too am concerned with, I am and will contine to look for a stainless steel pin/nail with a head that will address this and if I come up with one will post it here.
right now I am putting the pins I have made through freeze cycles bringing them up to room temp and refreezing them to see if these extremes affect the pins and glass I have had one failure so far but that may have more to do with encasing raku frit than anything else, I will contine the cycle and report back in a couple of weeks as to the results.

on

Old 2008-03-05, 1:28pm
super newb!

Lightbulb sharpen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
How about making bead on very end of 1/16 mandrel with NO bead release...

And as Wendyki said, just cut off mandrel and sharpen it...

Sure you can anneal it..... I would.

Dale

What about doing this method, then using a cup burr to sharpen the edge? that's assuming you have a dremel or foredom or such. you would have to hold the metal very tightly, not the glass, otherwise it would break off, but a slow speed and a pair of full locking grips or tweezers could take care of that! Another thought is doing a end of mandrel single hole bead and epoxy-ing it to your favored sharp end thingy... just a thought.
Old 2008-03-05, 3:40pm
Borovangelist

you could always pop it into a bench vice and mushroom the head with a ball pein hammer. Pain in the butt, but better than issuing refunds from angry customers

|
|