Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-01-14, 8:23pm
Tamara Knight

Default FYI - Blow Glass at sea program - Corning

This is sort of cool - someone emailed it to me

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Corning Museum of Glass Blow Glass at Sea program.

January 25, 26 & 27, 2010 - Seattle, Washington, Pratt Fine Arts Center

January 28 & 29, 2010 - Tacoma, Washington, M-Space

February 1 & 2, 2010 - Portland, Oregon, Elements Glass

Glassmakers, contact us and sign up to try out for our Blow Glass at Sea program aboard Celebrity Cruises. We'll be at the West Coast locations, listed above, in January and February.

During the tryout, you will be expected to make a two-gather piece, such as an optic bowl or a handkerchief vase or bowl, using simple or no color. The most successful pieces are blown pieces which show change quickly and be completed in no more than 30 minutes.

Candidates will also be expected to narrate a demonstration (while assisting the gaffer). Candidates will be sent a script prior to the tryout.

Successful tryout candidates will be invited to Corning, NY, to train for three to four weeks before being scheduled for an assignment at sea. If you are chosen for the Blow Glass at Sea program, you will need to pass a drug test and physical examination which are required by Celebrity Cruise Lines. Participants must be able to live onboard a Celebrity Cruises vessel for a minimum of three months.

Interested?

Send your resume and photos of your work to Debra Sharretts (sharrettsdc@cmog.org) at The Corning Museum of Glass. She will contact you with additional details. You may also reach her at 607-974-8241 for more information. You can also visit http://www.cmog.org/dynamic.aspx?id=10482 for more details about the Blow Glass at Sea program.

Yvette Sterbenk
Communications Manager
Corning Museum of Glass
One Museum Way, Corning, NY, 14830
Office: 607.974.8124
Cell: 607.368.1026
www.cmog.org
Old 2010-01-14, 9:48pm

I think the following may knock a few out of the running. LOL

"If you are chosen for the Blow Glass at Sea program, you will need to pass a drug test and physical examination which are required by Celebrity Cruise Lines."

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-15, 4:26am
boro color bender

That's an awesome idea... hope it opens up to flame workers after my kids are grown... i'd live on a ship for three months and make stuff every day... two things i LOVE... together... how cool is that?

and i can pass the drug test... what drugs do you think they will require me to test?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-01-15, 6:48am
Borovangelist

Someone posted this on facebook too, and if I recall someone from Corning actually responded to the flameworking question. They can't have an open flame on the ship, even the furnaces are specially designed electric ones.

I guess that means the gaffers can't use the bush burners on a piece while they're being worked.

Sounds like a lovely job though.

|
|
Old 2010-01-15, 10:37am
The Battle of Boro Boro

I can pass a drug test with flying colors! I wonder if the questions are true/false or multiple choice??

Old 2010-01-15, 4:38pm
Tamara Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyCreekGlass View Post
I can pass a drug test with flying colors! I wonder if the questions are true/false or multiple choice??
I am rather sure it's a drip test.
Maybe you can get a donner card.

T.