Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-23, 6:47am

Default Does gold react with anything but ivory?

After exploring silver for a while, I've been playing around with some gold foil lately. Encasing it is fun, but I'm wondering what else can be done with it. I tested it for reactions on a few different colors - on Vetrofond ivory I got a look simillar to silvered ivory but with a different pattern - probably not something worth using gold over silver for. I tried it on black and cobalt, but sadly, nothing happened.
I usually like to play "mad scientist" and experiment with stuff, but burning away 23k gold for nothing just feels weird. Does gold react with any colors like silver does? Can anyone point me in an interesting direction?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Old 2006-12-23, 6:46pm
maybe tomorrow

I don't use gold much myself, but I don't think I've ever it used to get reactions. I've just seen it used to get gold.

Old 2006-12-24, 5:32am

From a chemical point of view gold is an inert compound, except towards mercury mostly, which hopefully you don't find in glass. It means that it reacts with nothing as far as chemical reactions are concerned. The main reaction you get when using it with certain glass colors is to turn them pinkish. I've noticed that it does so more easily when used in fuming than in foil or leaf, which are mainly used to get a gold finish.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2006-12-27, 6:31pm
Missing presumed fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Londez View Post
The main reaction you get when using it with certain glass colors is to turn them pinkish.
Clear fumed with gold turns a lovely pink. I've got a great pair of earrings made by Cindy Saylor that are clear Moretti fumed pink.
Old 2007-01-03, 7:52am
Beach Brat

When you fume clear with gold, it starts pink, then becomes purplish, then finally very gold clad the longer you fume. The secret is to take it out of the flame periodically to check the color. If it's not the color you want yet, let the glow go away, then fume some more. I made a couple of gold fumed hearts that I love. They look gold-plated.

It's more than just a bead; it's an adventure

Old 2007-01-03, 10:31am
In spite of it all!

I would Love to see pictures of those hearts Joy!

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2007-01-03, 11:34am
Beach Brat

I found a pic of one of them, it's not the greatest picture, though. The heart is the first one I ever fumed during a Kate Fowle-Meleney class last year. It looks so much better in person. It was one of those "awe" moments in the class.
Attached Images

Old 2007-01-03, 11:46am
ManBearPig

I do a lot of gold fuming. Most of what I do is boro, though...

Old 2007-01-03, 12:10pm
Beach Brat

What boro colors do you usually fume with? Do you use different colors with gold vs. silver?

Old 2007-01-03, 12:23pm
ManBearPig

All of those are gold fuming on clear. In general, I only fume on clear. I put black behind them just to make the gold show up gold.

But, a nice effect is using gold or silver over a dark cobalt. Fuming gold over white gives a nice pink. It looks really nice if you are doing something like a flower implosion with it. Fuming gold over black is very nice as well. All of those give colors that aren't "gold", but generally when I do gold fuming, I am wanting to get a gold color.

And I think someone mentioned it earlier, but 22k gold works better than 24k gold for fuming.

Old 2007-01-03, 1:18pm
In spite of it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandrup View Post
I found a pic of one of them, it's not the greatest picture, though. The heart is the first one I ever fumed during a Kate Fowle-Meleney class last year. It looks so much better in person. It was one of those "awe" moments in the class.
I LOVE IT! I can tell it is a great heart. To me the picture quality is second.... ya... it would have been great to see it all clear... but you really captured the essence of that technique Joy! I hope to be able to take one of Kate's classes here in the near future. Will you be taking any more of her classes?

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2007-01-03, 1:32pm
Beach Brat

I loved taking Kate's class. She is very generous, fun, and down to earth. The class I took was "Is This Glass?" I would be interested in taking her "Advanced Decorative Techniques" if the time and location work out for me. She's one of the best.

Old 2007-01-03, 1:57pm
In spite of it all!

Well, very cool! I heard that about her. I hope that she does have a class that is convenient for you... and maybe I can get down that way then too!

Old 2007-01-03, 2:22pm
Beach Brat

Wow, that's a long way from your home! I can understand wanting to come south where it's warmer, though. That would be cool to take a class together.

The class I took was through the SGB-MA. If another one comes along, I'll keep you posted.