Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-08-14, 7:20pm

Default tips for stormy weather?

I tried out stormy weather in a zig zag encased bead and fully encased and got nothing but super dark plum color? Has anyone used it in beads?
Any tips?
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-08-14, 7:44pm
Serenity Now!

I'm all ears too Brandie! Have seen some rockin' color out of it, but, sadly not in my own Studio!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-08-14, 8:34pm

Leave a tiny bit of haze on it, and don't flamestrike it so much if you are going to kiln strike it.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-08-14, 9:20pm
Renee Weaver

Here's my stormy weather beads. I didn't flame strike , just 1075 for 30 minutes. I encased with clear. I can't get any purple, just blue. I really love this glass... hmm... I'm on my way to the torch to play with SW some more.

Last edited by Renee Weaver; 2007-08-14 at 9:57pm.
Old 2007-08-17, 4:58pm

Isn't it funny how different torches and torch set ups bring different results from the same glass colors?

I've always been fascinated by this aspect of boro, and all glass.
It's fun to see the different results.

I usually get plums, but Renee.... I love the blues you got! Sweetness!

Jo
Old 2007-10-08, 2:17am
Pyromaniac

I'm digging up this old thread because I cant get the range of colors on Stormy Weather either. It seems to pale out on me if I encase and if I don"t encase, its just purple. How do we get the nice variations of purple, plum, pink, blues, aqua etc? Nagi did that beautiful horse a few months ago with all the colors above. Is it a case of needing to spot heat and chill in different areas?

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2007-10-08 at 4:22am.
Old 2007-10-08, 5:18am
ManBearPig

I did a couple pieces with the piece you gave me at Hot Times. Came out a decent range of colors. I'll take some pics of it tonight.

Basically, the color range came from working part of it more than other parts.

Old 2007-10-08, 6:41am
Pyromaniac

Great Chad! So glad it worked for you, can't wait to see the pics.

So are you saying that some parts spent more time in the heat than others?

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2007-10-08, 8:03am
ManBearPig

Yep. I did an inside out bead with it, and the parts in the center are more purple. The parts at the end (that were heated more) are more blue. Or something like that. I don't have it in front of me right now.

I plan on experimenting more with it as soon as I can.

Old 2007-10-08, 10:45am
yukue fumei

yes--what Chad said
It is time in the heat that gives different colors. As I am sculpting, I am going back and forth on the piece. Also, I kilned the horse several times and the colors would shift a bit. I think the horse was kilned about 11 times(mostly because I only had the nerve to work on it bit by bit LOL!)
I wanted a brown for the tail and so I tried to lay it down and not touch it again. On some places where I got purple, I stopped working it hot and continued on my way. On the head and back, it is the most sky blue because I kept reworking. I reshaped the neck several times because I didn't like the shape. The mane was laid on and struck and then left, so it also was darker. Right behind the head you can see the first layer of mane that I worked and it turned sky blue and unfortunately looks like part of the neck....

On beads, it is the same thing. Create variations by how you lay the color down(not just winding). The more things you can vary on the bead, the better. Kiko did some really awesome awesome beads with Stormy Weather...hopefully she will pop in and post a pic
If you are making beads and want alot of cool variations but don't want the fuss, the stripey Stormy Weather experimentals are wonderful. I use them alot in my marbles and beads. Twistie them to get lots of blues, greens, purples and browns.
Both Momka and Janelle offer the experimentals. I also recommend the Cherry Blossom Rods--mix them with the Stormy Weather for a blend of peachy pastels with the darker SW colors. I am still learning about the secrets of Cherry Blossom--I am really loving it because it blooms to peachy pinks and blush colors(purple too). There is a sculpture I am planning that will be perfect with Cherry Blossom--just have to find the time!!!
whew--that got to be along talk--thanks for reading

nagi

Old 2007-10-08, 11:58am
Hummel factory reject

Great info Nagi! I'm glad this thread was resurected because I find stormy to be a little tempermental. Here's what I've noticed. Work it hot and fast on something small like a bead withouth going back and reworking you get deep dark blue purple and cobalt blues. Even when encased. Stormy will tolerate reworking but once you get to baby-poop you need to heat it to white hot again and start over. Leave a little haze and you will achieve some nice hot pinks and magentas. Lots of haze will result in pastel blues, greens, lavender and pale pink. I generally flame strike and kiln strike to 1150. I haven't had any luck restriking in the pale pastel babypoop stage. I find colors will deepen if I've achieved vivid color to begin with. Here is a bead in babypoop and pale pastel phase and one in semi hazed variable striking phase. Both beads have some spot encasing in clear.

Last edited by kiko; 2008-10-09 at 10:59am.
Old 2007-10-08, 12:04pm
yukue fumei

TO die for kiko! To die for!!

nagi

Old 2007-10-08, 1:30pm
Renee Weaver

Nagi.. Where can one buy 'Cherry Blossom'? Is it a momka color?
Kiko..What a beautiful bead!!!!!!

Old 2007-10-08, 2:51pm
yukue fumei

Hi Renee!
You can buy it direct from Momka (momkapeeva@momkasglass.com) Phone (425) 776-3417
or Janelle Zorko, who is online here.
Janelle runs discounts too
Momka also has some experimental Cherry Blossom that would make nice twisties. More of the inside color is showing so you get alot of variations.
I am not sure if this is the final name or not so please check with Momka.

nagi

Old 2007-10-08, 5:59pm
Renee Weaver

Hi Nagi! Thanks, I've got to try every glass there is. My husband thinks I get boxes in the mail every other day.

Old 2007-10-08, 6:50pm
yukue fumei

LOL--our DH's can get together and commiserate!

I think Momka has even more experimentals--I gotta say that my favorite so far has been the Stripey Stormy Weather

nagi

Old 2007-10-09, 1:09pm
yukue fumei

Here are some pics of beads made with different working temps.
The opal bead is made with Stripey Stormy Weather which I cooked until I couldn't take it anymore LOL! It gives a very pastelly look with some light blues:

The beads here are as follows
top: stripey stormy Weather twistie base with Cherry Blossom murrini both unstruck
lower right: stripey Stormy Weather struck and encased, The green is Momkas Experimental Green Sparkle
lower left: Cherry Blossom base....lots of different variations of peach, pink and light purple are possible. I am still experimenting with this one--it's very intriguing

Here are some previously posted images with Stripey Stormy Weather(the inner purply stripes around the opal is SSW....the outer stripes are Silver Dance.

and the peachy part of this marble is Cherry Blossom. The green is Momkas Experimental Green Sparkle!

nagi

Last edited by nagibeads; 2007-10-09 at 1:15pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2007-10-09, 2:35pm
Hummel factory reject

Beautiful! Great illustration of striking results. The cherry blossom is very pretty. Sounds like it works sort of like pomegranate? Green sparkle looks good too and you deep encased it? Seems to have plenty of sparkle. Sweet marbles Nagi!

Chad? Would love to see your stormy beads too!

Old 2007-10-09, 3:06pm
yukue fumei

Hi Lori-
thanks!
The Green Sparkle is ok for encased beads--I haven't tested it deep encased in a marble yet(cross fingers that it works) I am going to try backing it with a light color next time. I think the sparkles will pop better and really showcase this color...
The Cherry Blossom works like the Antique Beauty but it seems to be a bit more on the pastel side. Antique Beauty goes very dark purple when struck. I have only gotten that once on Cherry Blossom. The pink seems to bloom after working it for a medium amount of time. Too long and it goes a very light pastelly purple. I have a couple more wonky beads in the kiln that show this difference.
I am itching to use it in a sculpture. There is a trasluscence to the color that gives it a neat delicacy.

nagi