Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-04, 6:10am

Default Another Bead release ?

Okay, frustration is back - ugh! I have tried just about everything and read every post on who likes what and which is the best. I started doing boro and I do a lot of pressing and shaping and I thought I had found the best one thus far - Fusion. However, now it is causing me problems, lots of problems. Is it because I added water to it? If so, then what is one to do when it gets too thick? Help please - I am wasting too much time and glass. I am open to suggestions of other bead releases again. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
H37
Old 2008-06-04, 8:11am
one day at a time

No, I don't think it's because you added water to it. All bead release is going to need a little added water every now and then, even if you think that cap on the bottle is staying screwed on tight. Could be that it's too thick? Flaking and breaking away could happen when there is a lot of it on a mandrel, making it easy for it to "give way" on itself.

I use FF Smooth 'n Tuff for boro, and mix a little KRAG Mudd in it for soft glass. I like the KRAG for soft glass too. Beads are real easy to come off the mandrels, and no flaking while pressing shapes either.
Old 2008-06-04, 8:23am

I use the KRAG for both soft glass and the little bit of boro that I do. I love the stuff - beads come off the mandrel easily and the holes come clean just by running the mandrel up and down inside the bead under running water - no reamer required. The only drawback to KRAG is that you need to use your mandrels within 24 hours of dipping them or you will get some flaking, but having to dip my mandrels daily is well worth it for the end results I get.

One other thought - if you are adding water to bead release, a lot of folks require using only distilled water as tap water can contain minerals that foul up the bead release.

Old 2008-06-04, 8:26am
Booyarashaka

Give the Dirty Looie's a chance. I really like it and I've tried many of them. I think you'll really like it. ABR sales it.

"Temet Nosce"

Old 2008-06-04, 8:34am
one day at a time

I made my second pandora bead (1/4" mandrel) last night and had used KRAG mudd, and wow! Nice clean hole and so smooth inside! I cleaned it with a pipe cleaner, no dremeling.
Old 2008-06-04, 5:09pm

Thanks. Sometimes it is thick, but then sometimes it is so thin that it drips down the mandrel. I also have some Foster Fire that I tried for the boro and it seemed to crack very easily in the flame. I found Fusion to be much better until recently. I can't say that I dipped the dame day, but they are not too old (a few days at most). I will try using distilled and see if that helps. I will also get a hold of KRAG mudd and Dirty Louie. I am willing to try them all to find a better solution. I am also getting tired of bits and pieces all over my workbench and sometimes in my presses, that I am unaware of when I go to press - ugh. Where do I find KRAG?

H37
Old 2008-06-04, 11:24pm

Here's the link to Kittrell Riffkind's site. KRAG is for Kittrell Riffkind Art Glass
http://www.kittrellriffkind.com/studio/krag_mudd.php
You have to call them to place an order. The folks in the studio at Kittrell Riffkind have always been great when I call, and shipping is fast.

Old 2008-06-11, 8:11am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

The only bead release I've been happy with is Super Blue Sludge. It does pandora beads without flaking and handles the presses better than any bead release I've tried. Also works great with boro. I've tried FF Smooth and Tuff, Bucket of Mud, Alice's, Regular Foster Fire and Fireline.

Ebay:
Old 2008-06-11, 8:18am
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluvs2create View Post
I am also getting tired of bits and pieces all over my workbench and sometimes in my presses, that I am unaware of when I go to press - ugh.
I've just gotten in the habit of blowing on my presses as I use them - I'm always knocking the edges of the mandrels and chipping off bits of release - I use FF and love it. That Krag sounds interesting though! L
Old 2008-06-11, 10:22am

I second the super blue sludge. I switched to boro a couple of months ago and started using this and it is the only one that holds up to the abuse of me pressing and such with soft glass and the heat of boro. I do like bucke o mud for soft glass. The super sludge might get thick but add water and mix very well. I dip the mandrel and pull out very slowly for a thin coat and quickly for a thick coat. I like thin coating though. I just got some of the dirty Louie's and haven't been able to get it mixed up well enough that it doesn't have lumps yet but it looks like it is a good consistency but I haven't tried it yet.

super blue sludge gets my vote but it is a little picky for me if I leave it on the mandrel for a long time. I have a tendency to do that because I only torch on the weekends for the most part. I live in a humid and hot area and I get better results from it if I dip them the night before or day of my torching.

Old 2008-06-11, 3:46pm
Dances With Fire

kragg is awesome...used to be the only thing I used...now I have some smooth and tough...I like it a lot too.

crystal

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2008-06-12, 10:35am
one day at a time

With KRAG you get the nicest cleanest holes in transparent beads! I give these a quick zip with the dremel as to not scratch the interior surface of the holes.

More than the fact that the holes clean out so easily, I think the reason the holes are so smooth has mostly to do with this bead release's very very smooth texture to begin with. No slightly "pebbly" finish with this one!
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-12, 6:40pm

Lisi I love that purple!

I've found with KRAG that if I use the mandrels the same day I dip them, all I have to do the next day is run the mandrel up and down in the bead hole under running water when I take the bead off the mandrel and the holes are perfectly clean. Not only easier, but saves me a ton of time as well.
This bead was done with KRAG and cleaned by sliding the mandrel up and down. I don't think it's possible to get it much cleaner.