No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-17, 8:52am
Logan's mommy

Default What kind of Kiln?

Hi there. My name is Amanda and I am absolutely fascinated by Lampwork beads. I started selling vintage and lampwork beads on JustBeads and I now am desperate to try creating these little works of art myself. I don't have a ton of money to spend (ok, technically I have none but I'm going to anyway) but am finding kilns are very expensive. Can anyone suggest to me what might be a good start for me? I don't want to wait a year until I can save up the money. I'm desperate to dig in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2008-07-17, 9:20am
Booyarashaka

Hi Amanda

This is the kiln I bought when I was first getting on the torch. http://www.aimkilns.com/html/96j-1210.html ... it's not a big kiln but you don't have to worry about a stand, a bead door and it's lasted me the last 5 years with 0 issues. For the money it's a hard one to beat. I added a bead stand ($12) and can load it with many beads. GL! and I'm sure you'll get some great advice here.

"Temet Nosce"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-17, 10:22am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmets View Post
Hi there. My name is Amanda and I am absolutely fascinated by Lampwork beads. I started selling vintage and lampwork beads on JustBeads and I now am desperate to try creating these little works of art myself. I don't have a ton of money to spend (ok, technically I have none but I'm going to anyway) but am finding kilns are very expensive. Can anyone suggest to me what might be a good start for me? I don't want to wait a year until I can save up the money. I'm desperate to dig in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You can get a great little AIM 84BD with bead door for $300.
Add a digital controller for $512.50
http://www.vicartglass.com/products/...ln%20FLBK.html

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-07-17, 10:31am

I am trying to figure this out right now too. First I was leaning towards the Chili Pepper annealer, but then I don't know if I will want to fuse ever or not. It is such a big purchase, I am kind of lost right now. LOL!

Mini-CC& M-5 oxycon

Old 2008-07-17, 2:46pm

I have a chilipepper kiln (looks like a tool box) with a dlgital controller. I've had it for over 5 years and it is the best. Easy to program - absolutely no issues with it. I highly recommend it. Should cost you around $550.00 - made by Jen Ken. Just go to Google and type in "chili pepper kiln" - you might even find one on e-bay.
Old 2008-07-17, 3:24pm
just plain silly

I have a Jen Ken AF3P 11/4.5 with controller and bead door and think it's a great kiln for the money. It's versatile, programmable and can be used for fusing if the items are under 11" wide and not too tall.

Suzanne
Old 2008-07-17, 4:58pm

Hi Amanda,

I also have a Jen Ken AF3P with digital controller and it's a great kiln for annealing and fusing. I got it on ebay last year from around $500 and it's worked really well for me. I would highly recommend a digital controller but if money is an issue, you can find cheaper kilns without one.
Old 2008-07-17, 5:28pm
Wild at Heart!

I love my Glass Hive Kiln and Mike has AWESOME customer service.

www.theglasshive.com

Kristi

??