Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-14, 12:16am

Default Current Best Clear is ...?

I can go for ages without encasing anything in clear and then suddenly switch gears. I'm feeling like doing some encasing with clear these days. I haven't really been tracking if there's any new clear out there that is fabulous. I need to order some clear (although I have some Vetrofond, Effetre and Lauscha clear already on hand). So, what is your current favorite clear COE 104 glass and why? Thanks in advance for your answers.

PS - I work with a Mini CC and an O2 generator

Last edited by sburwash; 2008-09-14 at 1:34pm. Reason: added more information
Old 2008-09-14, 1:06pm

I sure hope you get some replies because I was going to ask this question again also. I currently am using VetroFond Crystal Clear and am anxious to try the Lauscha but I do not know which one to buy. I use a Betta /minor torch and I always have an issue with getting the bead back its nice round shape when encasing. ANd also smearing even though I marver, chill, etc etc etc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-14, 1:11pm

Who carries Diamond Clear??? Coe???

Thanks

Anne

Old 2008-09-14, 10:17pm

Rocio studios carries the diamond clear. I am not impressed.

http://www.fineartbyrocio.com/

I love Moretti 006 super clear.
Jen
Old 2008-09-14, 10:27pm
Storm Queen

I only use Diamond Clear and I love it.

Old 2008-09-15, 4:21am
A True Woofer

I loved Vetrofond crystal clear until I tried the Diamond clear. Now I just like the vetrofond and am in love with the Diamond.

Old 2008-09-15, 5:36am
Detail G-Mama!

Gotta agree on the Diamond! I got some and love it! Hardly any bubbles at all!

Old 2008-09-15, 6:24am
Life is change. Love it

I used to use Diamond clear all the time and loved it. I now use CIM and like it a lot

Old 2008-09-15, 7:23am
I like to melt things

I <3 Lauscha Clear. It doesn't scum like Moretti and Vetrofond, and I haven't had any compatibility problems.

I had high hopes for CIM clear, but in my opinion, the rods are too skinny and I had some cracking issues with it.

-
-
Old 2008-09-15, 8:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenfire View Post
Rocio studios carries the diamond clear. I am not impressed.

http://www.fineartbyrocio.com/

I love Moretti 006 super clear.
Jen
Hi Jen - what makes the Moretti super clear your fav?

Susan
Old 2008-09-15, 9:27am

Another vote for the Diamond Clear. It also seems to be compatible with more glasses, so there are fewer problems with encasing.

Old 2008-09-15, 10:04am

I know a lot of folks like the Diamond Clear..........Little more expensive but worth it if your work dictates exceptional clear. I use both Vetro Crystal Clear and am now using Lausha soft (new one). The Lausha is really great. It melts quickly, is not shocky and is crystal clear. I work with both a hothead and a mini CC and prefer the Lausha. Only has one rod of the Diamond Clear and wish I could afford more but for the time being the Lausha is my preferance.

Old 2008-09-15, 11:20am
Lover of Life

My favorite so far has been the Lauscha. The only thing I didn't like about it was the stiffness. I can be a very impatient lady! That being said, I've just ordered some soft clear, and I have high hopes! Can't wait to get it! I just purchased some CIM clear, and although I generally adore CIM glass, I'm not too impressed with the clear. It required a snip off the end with every heating to avoid bubbles, and even then it wanted to fry.

Becky

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2008-09-15, 11:32am
da General

I have used Effetre Clear and Super Clear, Vetrofond Crystal Clear, CIM Clear, Harmon Clear Encasement (by George Tessman, the glassmaker who makes Black Nebula), TAG 104 Clear . . . never tried Lauscha (don't want to gamble on compatibility issues with silver glass) . . . I always go back to my trusted Precision 104 Diamond Clear.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-09-15, 12:46pm
Just Bead It

I like CIM and the reformulated lauscha

Tamara
Old 2008-09-15, 3:07pm

Peeled Effetre. How to peel it:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/112951...r_lampworkers/

Steve

Old 2008-09-15, 4:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWright View Post
Peeled Effetre. How to peel it:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/112951...r_lampworkers/

Steve
Life is too short to peel Effetre!
Old 2008-09-15, 4:21pm
Gay rights R human rights

Hayley was there a reason you didnt like the TAG super clear?

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-09-15, 4:25pm
Pyromaniac

Simax.
I know it's boro but . . I just had to say it.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-09-15, 5:06pm
da General

Leslie - I actually got some micro bubble from TAG Super Clear on a couple of beads! For $80/lb, I expected crystal clear with no scum, no bubble!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-09-15, 5:08pm

We are selling a lot of Precision Diamond clear and Lauscha Reformulated Clear which is not as stiff as the older clear. The Soft version is for Hothead users as it melts faster. Double Helix did dome tests with the Lauscha and it now states on their website that their glass is compatible.
I've done my own test and encased most of the Trautman 104 Silver colors with Lauscha and have had no trouble.

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-09-16, 9:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Leslie - I actually got some micro bubble from TAG Super Clear on a couple of beads! For $80/lb, I expected crystal clear with no scum, no bubble!
Laff! I hear you, Hayley. Our newer batches are better, and with thicker rods. This soft-glass gal had to convince the boro boys that, actually, NO air is EVER acceptable in 104 clear rods!

But that said, our clear works kinda like the reverse of Diamond clear - instead of cranking up the oxy, it's better to work it with a pinch more gas in a slightly softened flame. When I oxygenate my flame working our clear, I get micro bubbles; when I soften the flame with more gas (which is, actually, a hotter flame) the haze vanishes and the micro bubbles disappear.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-09-16, 9:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I have used Effetre Clear and Super Clear, Vetrofond Crystal Clear, CIM Clear, Harmon Clear Encasement (by George Tessman, the glassmaker who makes Black Nebula), TAG 104 Clear . . . never tried Lauscha (don't want to gamble on compatibility issues with silver glass) . . . I always go back to my trusted Precision 104 Diamond Clear.
Wow - you have tried them all! Diamond Clear is looking like something I need to try.
Old 2008-09-17, 10:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburwash View Post
Hi Jen - what makes the Moretti super clear your fav?

Susan
I work on a Lynx with and OG10. I have never had t scum burn or bubble. the diamond clear is nothing but bubbles and scum for me. Just my opinion and experience. Oh BTW I do not peal rods it just pick off the very end.
Jen
Old 2008-09-17, 10:40am
da General

Jen - there was a bad batch of Diamond Clear (sounds like you got those!) and Abe replaced some of them. . . he started a thread on that a few months ago.

I have purchased at least 8 different batches of Diamond Clear and only one batch had micro bubbles, which was replaced.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-09-17, 8:32pm
Ad astra per aspera

I haven't tried the CIM clear yet. I really like the Precision clear and the new Lauscha is wonderful! I still love my very old stash of Moretti thick clear (10mm) too. Unlike the standard rods, the thicker stuff was terrific.

Old 2008-09-21, 3:00pm

So I just got today my Diamond Clear which I ordered with some other glass from R4.
I was fed up with scummy and bubbly clear glass and thought I invest in better clear to avoid being frustrated.
But I just can't believe it, the diamond clear goes a yellow or rather light topaz when I work it a bit longer. I am really disappointed. It also produces some bubbles and scum ... I thought the issue with the bad batch was sorted out?

Old 2008-09-21, 3:15pm

There is a certain way to work that clear. I think it's with a lot of oxygen. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-09-21, 3:28pm

Thanks Paula. But that means I can use it only for a full encasing or for certain beads.
In some of my beads today I wanted to partially encase trails of silver color with it (Gaia).
If I work it with lots of oxygene, the exposed Gaia will go back to it's green rod color. But if I don't work it with lots of oxygene, the clear goes yellow. Aha.
Back to my other clear glass in those cases?

Last edited by TeRangiStudio; 2008-09-21 at 3:45pm.
Old 2008-09-21, 7:07pm

I've had the Diamond Clear occasionally look a bit yellow while working it, but the beads are always crystal clear coming out of the kiln.