No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-19, 4:21pm
Forever

Default Used Kiln

I just purchased a used kiln (Paragon A119b). The kiln is in great shape. I checked on Paragon website and this kiln is no longer being made. I have never used a kiln and everything I have read sound frightening. Kind of scared.

I contacted them to see if I can get an owner's manual; however, to date I have heard nothing.

Can anyone help me in using this kiln or getting a hold of an owners manual.
Old 2008-10-19, 9:18pm
Burning through glass

Hey there.
Just curious...What are you using the kiln for? Fusing...ceramics....annealing beads? Anyway, there's no need to be frightened of a kiln, it is after all, just a big toaster! (just gets a bit hotter!). So, when you say "I've contacted them..." are you referring to Paragon themselves? I'm sure you can give em a call...

Toll Free 1-800-876-4328
Fax 972-222-0646
Toll Free Fax 1-888-222-6450
2011 South Town East Blvd.
Mesquite, Texas 75149-1122

Anyway, here's your manual. (Your kiln number is at the bottom of the kiln roster of page 8, so I think this is applicable)
http://www.paragonweb.com/files/manu..._1_Install.pdf

Have fun with your kiln!!! Hope this helped

Renee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2008-10-20, 8:59am

The only thing really hard about any kiln is setting the digital temp. controler. Other than that it's just like your oven in the kitchen.
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2008-10-20, 9:17am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus Beads View Post
The only thing really hard about any kiln is setting the digital temp. controler. Other than that it's just like your oven in the kitchen.
Liz R
I like to refer to kilns as a toaster on steroids. Electricity heats metal elements and porous brick holds the heat. Pretty simplistic device.

"Ilovetomp", if you tell us a bit about your kiln, we can tell you how to use it.

Is it a pottery kiln or a glass kiln?
Does it have "kiln sitter" that uses cones to control temperature?
Does it have a dial type temperature control?
Does it have a digital controller?
What are the dimensions?

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-10-21, 7:41am
Forever

It is a glass kiln. My husband and I want to just slump glass. The kiln does not have a digital type temperature control. It has high, medium and low. That is the only thing on it. The dimensions are small. It is probably about 20 x 18. It has one hole in the side; which do you put the temperature control in there? I am still waiting for Paragon. The heating coils are on the sides, there are no coils on the lid (like I have seen with the newer models).

Also, should this little sucker have it's own circuit? I was reading up on that also.

I just hope the little guy doesn't sit in my garage and collect dust. Don't want to make a flower pot just yet.

I know it is like a toaster on steroids, but I burn toast an aweful lot and I don't want to have to use my life insuranc yet.

Thank you for your help.

Also, I just printed the manual and hopefully that will assist us.
Old 2008-10-21, 8:00am

Several questions about using a used kiln . Were you in the same town so you can see it fire. With a older kiln you , you need to check the coils to make sure they are in working order, because they will get brittle over time from firing and sometimes in shipping they will snap loose.
Also I would use a seperate circuit for safety reasons just incase of emergency reasons and you need to shut down. My uncle is a electrician and he suggested thats what I needed. So mine is a seperate.
Don't be afraid of it. kilns can be lots of fun. Its like Christmas every time you open it! Enjoy.
Just read your manuel and you'll do great.