Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-11-12, 10:35am

Lightbulb COE 104 Dichroic: What is your preference?

I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this question, so please let me know if it belongs somewhere else...

I am a retail supplier and have been asked to carry dichroic in COE 104. We do carry rods, etc...and we carry a ton of dichroic in COE 90 (we used to be Artisan Dichroic, but the owner - my mother - retired and my husband and I took the reigns), but mainly in sheet glass.

I know that 104 is mainly for lampworking, and that sheet glass does not always translate well for that use. I also know that there are many forms that the 104 dichroic comes in. I'm not really sure where to start. SO...my question is:

What is your preferred form of dichroic? Do you buy sheets and cut them up? Do you buy pre-cut strips? Are those pre-fired? Do you buy noodles and stringers rather than sheet glass?

Please let me know...this is uncharted territory for us and we don't want to bring in products that you can't use. Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ Sheri Spurlock, Owner
Melt Glass Art Supply
502 Washington Street, Vancouver, WA 98660
(306)281-1363

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on
!

~ Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic. ~ Anonymous
Old 2015-11-12, 11:13am

For 104 I usually buy pre-cut, pre-fired strips. I've tried the commercial 104 dichro stringers and thought they were pretty crappy.

For 90 I usually buy sheet and strip and pre-fire myself.

Old 2015-11-12, 11:54am
Cheesehead Packer lover

Same for me, pre-fired and pre-cut strips for 104.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2015-11-12, 1:07pm

I do like and use the precut strips. I have bought a few quarter sheets to make my own strips eventually once I get my studio back up.

I especially like the crinkle colors
Old 2015-11-12, 7:29pm
Phill

Ditto the above.

My skills turn dichro stringers into expensive burnt glass so the noodles give me better results.

And I second on the crinkle colors.
Old 2015-11-12, 10:27pm
Slogan Challenged...

For 104 I buy pre-cut, pre-fired strips. I find flat stringers/rods tricky. There has only been one kind that I really like but it is quite pricey.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-11-12, 11:54pm
Naysayer

oops, I posted in your sale thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
I buy scrap too and slump in the kiln myself, it's just cheaper to go that route for me. Then I can use a bigger piece or pull it into stringer.

But, I prefer the cbs dichroic extract now since there is no coe and I use 33 and 104
Old 2015-11-13, 10:55am

Thank you SO much for the great feedback! I'll start researching the available products and hopefully have something in the shop for you 104 dichro lovers!

~ Sheri Spurlock, Owner
Melt Glass Art Supply
502 Washington Street, Vancouver, WA 98660
(306)281-1363

Like us on
!

~ Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic. ~ Anonymous