Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-11, 7:35am
ManBearPig

Default "Messy" glass? Anyone with any info?

Yes, I'm sure everyone knows I'm a boro guy through and through, but over the weekend a friend gave me some "messy" glass to try, and I'm going to soon, but I was wondering what everyone thought about it. Compatibility issues? Any pics of finished pieces using it? I know I got some pink and some celadon, but I'm not sure what else I got.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-11, 7:42am
Entropy increasing....

Oh, it's nice glass. It's 104 and should be compatible with the other 104s. I find it's stiffer. Feels like Bullseye and I hear it doesn't etch well.

The rose quartz is my favorite and the new opal glass called Cirrus. They reformulated that and it looks like moonstone glass and stays that way. The pinks don't need to be struck and the color doesn't boil out.

I made this naked lady and this star out of the rose quartz.

Old 2006-12-11, 7:54am
ManBearPig

Thanks.

Anyone know of a web site for the company that makes this glass or something where I can see a color chart of all the glass? It has sort of peaked my interest in 104 glass again. I just ordered some ASK 104 as well...

Old 2006-12-11, 8:24am
ManBearPig

Thanks for the info.

I haven't used any 104 glass in quite a while, so it should prove interesting at the very least...

Old 2006-12-11, 8:26am
giggety-giggety

www.LBSUPPLYS.COM stocks Messy glass as well....I LOVE the leaky pen and bordello colors......they have a nice sale going on now and lightning quick shipping....

My etsy:

Old 2006-12-11, 10:05am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Sorry - didn't mean to scare everyone away.
We weren't scared, we were memerized by the beads you posted
Old 2006-12-11, 10:09am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Old 2006-12-11, 11:02am

Default Thanks, Kevan, Kimberly, & AcmeGirl!

Thank you Kevan, Kimberly, and Acme Girl for steering Cosmo in the right direction!

Cosmo, we have some photos posted on our site so you can see Messy Color in action. And feel free to contact me directly at kathy@creationismessy.com if you have any questions about the glass.

Thanks so much for your interest in Messy Color!

Kathy

Kathy Seamands

Creation is Messy
Messy Color

[web]

[mail]

Old 2006-12-11, 11:50am
make beads not war

Ooooh... look at those pretty seahorses! I love the CiM glass especially the Ginger. It's a nice light beige color... there's none like it!
Old 2006-12-11, 12:00pm
Entropy increasing....

Yes, the ginger is really nice too. The Bordello is a beautiful deep rich wine color.
Old 2006-12-11, 12:04pm
ManBearPig

Thanks for the info everyone. What I'm wondering is this:

Does this glass do something other soft glass doesn't do? Does it have certain reactions with other glass? I know some of the soft glass is being loaded with silver so it will strike. Does this do that?

I'm just trying to figure out what makes it different from other soft glass (aside from the fact that the pink is actually pink).

Old 2006-12-11, 12:09pm
Entropy increasing....

It's not the silver glass like ASK or Double Helix. As far as I know, the CIM has no reactive glass at this time. The Bordello is a striking red, but the pinks are not.

I haven't tried any of their colors with intense black, but I haven't noticed any color reactions with othet glass. Though I think the Celadon might react with ivory.
Old 2006-12-11, 12:46pm
Yup.

Yup! Nice glass... Nope, it isn't loaded with silver or super reactive... but I do like some of the streaks you can get. It is stiffer and probably really great for sculpture. I really like the butter pecan, leaky pen and celadon best. I think Celadon is a great substitution for copper green!

Bordello frit

butter pecan frit

Leaky pen

Celadon

stringers on this one are celadon

~
~
Old 2006-12-11, 12:53pm
Entropy increasing....

The Celadon is really close to the Vetrofond Sea Green that everyone wanted and there was so little of.

I hear there are a couple of new colors on the way. A Peacock green and Halong Bay, which I'm not sure what color that is, I would think blue.
Old 2006-12-11, 12:59pm
Entropy increasing....

Those look cool. I really like the new Cirrus.
Old 2006-12-11, 3:49pm
dances with ideas...

Cirrus rocks! With bordello, streaky sapphire stringers, dk silver plum. The photo is not great, but I hope you can see a bit of the opalescence. It's much better in person.
Attached Images

Old 2006-12-11, 4:26pm
Messy Color glass pusher

Default Linked

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
If you check out their website, they have photos on one of the pages of the two new opal colors, one is bluish and one is green. Very nice.
http://www.creationismessy.com/Color/InDev.aspx

Thanks Kimberly!

Best,
Dana

Dana Brash

Creation is Messy
Messy Color

[web]

[mail]

Old 2006-12-11, 5:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. What I'm wondering is this:

Does this glass do something other soft glass doesn't do? Does it have certain reactions with other glass? I know some of the soft glass is being loaded with silver so it will strike. Does this do that?

I'm just trying to figure out what makes it different from other soft glass (aside from the fact that the pink is actually pink).
If I had to guess, I'd say it's because they're trying to produce the colors that lampworkers have been crying for in "odd lots", but in a readily available glass in large quantities? Like reproducing the "moonstone" colors (cirrus, & the two soon-to-be-released shades) that are vintage & scarce & people go insane for, but can't get? And pink, like you said--that works without burning out. And that green that looks like the odd-lot that was going for insane prices for a while & now no one will part with what they have...that kind of thing?
Oh & colors that aren't available in other lines...like that beige...

Kimberly...I'm in with that leaky-pen/cirrus seahorse...omg...droool...that's soooo gorgeous...sigh...

JC! those beads with the celadon are incredible!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-12-11, 5:29pm

You are correct, LunaMoonShadow! We've been focused on filling in the gaps in the traditional 104 palette that has been available.

We haven't produced any silver colors - although some of our colors are a bit streaky (especially the Celadon).

Kathy

Kathy Seamands

Creation is Messy
Messy Color

[web]

[mail]

Old 2006-12-11, 8:06pm

Celadon reacts with Effetre Ivory. This set is swirled Celadon and Ivory, the dark in the center is from the reaction of the two.

Carol

Old 2006-12-11, 8:12pm
make beads not war

Oooh that's a cool reaction Carol! Very nice...
Old 2006-12-12, 8:07pm

I have just a few colors and it's pretty awesome...

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !