Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-10, 4:43pm

I am right handed and I have always spun with the left and decorated with the right (I spin with the right sometimes too but only if I am doing something specific or my hand gets too tired lol) I don't have enough control with the left to lay the glass on very well.

Just looked at the green ones again and they have now split down another side.

Have just returned the rest to the etching liquid, the designs did not come through very well, I will need to put on a thicker coat the next time I think. But they did turn out very soft and pretty lol!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-10, 4:44pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
I hold the mandrel in my left and decorate with my right. I spin with both (though not at the same time, ).
Yep, me too. Then again, there are a few things I do cack-handed as well, but sometimes it's a bit of a revelation to find these things out

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-07-10, 4:44pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Dana View Post
Do not get me started on the BE glass from the GS that arrived as frit That was sent with NO packing, thrown into a box.
That stinks.
Old 2011-07-10, 4:50pm
And silence is golden

I have received many, many shipments that arrived completely unscathed. Shoot, I have received a shipment that was probably meant to be delivered to the Queen of England. Everything so perfect. It would have been enough to spoil me forever. Unfortunately this vendor does not carry every glass available to the lampworker.
Old 2011-07-10, 4:53pm
Remember to keep smiling

Marci now I have to go and order the chocolate color. By looking at the rod pic I would never had thought it would be such a light creamy color.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-07-10, 5:42pm

Kristina, {{{hugs}}}}! You are just the bestest person, we all know that...
For spinning mandrels, i am a righty and spin with my left hand.
i guess i have just been lucky because I've never received broken glass from *anyone*, ever, nor dirty glass either.

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2011-07-10, 6:25pm

Thank you ladies for the really nice comments on my Salmon beads.I am more shocked than my earlier salmon rods that shocked that I found how to work with it....and actually..once the rods had been super preheated,i put them pretty much right into the heat with no problems at all.I think I was working way too cool at least on that color.
marti Ann..I have a Chilipepper and keep it at 950 and except for Lausha..which needs maybe something like 1050..always keep the temp at 950 and no cracking beads..unless I have mixed 2 brands that don't like each other.
Well..the lefty righty procedure for me is to hold the mandrel in my left hand...rod in my right but both to roll the mandrel to shape beads.I have to switch the mandrel to my right hand to decorate..as I am still a lefty and my right hand is useless in doing that.I do have elbow and wrist rests but I am not good at decorating anyway so I do love organics and am just getting back to my presses for a change.
"

Old 2011-07-10, 6:28pm

Oh and Marcy..that choc color really is very interesting.I have lots of neat color reactions with the gray and butterscotch marbled and those are super easy to use. Have you tried them also?
"

Old 2011-07-10, 8:26pm

Hi..have to correct something I said about annealing temps because Paula..our FlameDame that sells Lauscha glass that the temp I mentioned is too high and Lauscha can be popped in the kiln with our other glass at 950-960.Yea! All my beads can go in the kiln together! i don't honestly know where I read that but it wasn't true..so don't do it.It will ruin their lovely colors.Thanks Paula for catching that!
"

Old 2011-07-10, 8:27pm
And silence is golden

Good to know Diana
Old 2011-07-10, 8:32pm

Oh I have. Probably from every one of them but I have been doing this for 12 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
I've never gotten broken rods in the mail from any vendor in the US that I have purchased from.

The one thing that frustrates me about the Devardi rods is the size. I do wish that they would pull them thinner. Some of the colors are very shocky, frit on a stick shocky. I cannot for the life of me get the copper metallic to turn copper no matter what I do. I have had a shipment of broken rods that were shipped in fiber fill and I promptly called and they sent me a whole new shipment and extra to boot. I have absolutely no qualms about the customer service.

I don't normally use Devardi but they do have some really pretty colors and some that I really love. There is this green that I ordered and I don't know what it was. I want more but....shoot, can't remember what I ordered.

Old 2011-07-10, 8:55pm

Shrimp..yes..and Paula is another person who has excellent customer service..and very quick delivery..I'm glad she let me know!
"

Old 2011-07-10, 9:46pm
Ad astra per aspera

Reposting from the Bathroom, though I'm pretty sure I've said it all before in this thread or the nasty one from a few years back.

I'm late to the party cuz I've been on the beach most of the day and just came back from a late supper and shenanigans with my daughter.

I don't insanely adore Devardi, but I do like a lot of it very much. The pinks and purples, especially, make me smile, and the pumpkin orange/yellow makes me happy in ways I can't reasonably explain.

It is NOT a beginner's glass in any way, shape or form. I've received rods with odd divots down the length (those are tricky, but not impossible to work), some with difficult bubbles, some with rocks, some that are shocky for no obvious reason in particular. With the exception of the divots, it reminds me a great deal of some Effetre and Vetro I've received.

Devardi's customer service has always been excellent. I've gotten prompt replies from them and great information. Their shipping has always been good, too.

Again, it's not a good beginner's glass, but at the price, and with the color range, I believe that it's worth the effort to learn to work with the colors that fill in gaps in the rest of the 104 palette.

Old 2011-07-10, 9:57pm

If it isn't a beginners glass, why don't the seasoned lampworkers use it?
Old 2011-07-10, 10:35pm
Duchess of Dichro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Snail View Post
If it isn't a beginners glass, why don't the seasoned lampworkers use it?
I would like to hear some answers about this, I do not know many if any who use it. My feeling is the glass is to unreliable...... Spending time making a fabulous bead only to have it shatter is just not worth the low price of the glass. Let alone the insta frit, rocks, odd rods etc. An Artist's time is something many forget counts!

Maybe in time it could improve, till then no thanks.

Old 2011-07-10, 11:40pm

The main issue that I have with Devardi is the sheer size of the rods and the unevenness. Also, I am just partial to Effetre and I use it for probably 95 percent of my work with a little Vetro, CIM and Lausha thrown in. Devardi would be last on the list. I do have some favorite Devardi colors that I pull down to 2mm to use for certain applications.

They do sell stringer now that is 3mm I think but the price is too high. I would rather buy my Effetre. For me it's tried and true.

Last edited by glassactcc; 2011-07-10 at 11:44pm.
Old 2011-07-10, 11:41pm

Oh Leslie, I have never had a compatibility issue with it but like I said, my experience with it is limited.

Old 2011-07-11, 2:48am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
I've never gotten broken rods in the mail from any vendor in the US that I have purchased from.
Once, and the company were so horrified they replaced I within 24hours, then again in my next order- any body want some taxco silver turquoise?

Never had dirty glass from anyone

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-07-11, 5:30am
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Snail View Post
Thanks for this.
I feel like I am reading a thread in The Twilight Zone.

Kristina, I asked you a question about why you are so defensive with the glass. I am not, nor have not given you a "hammering".

It seems some of you have set up camp on this thread in order to only allow positive posts. Here is my contribution to the positive: They sell lovely mandrels!
bingo!

Old 2011-07-11, 5:57am

I thought the title of this thread was "Devardi Glass Technical Input and Experiences". We share our experiences and tips on how to make the best of the glass. I think that the negativity was born and is destroying our collective tips in this thread.

Why don't we get this thread back on track?
Old 2011-07-11, 6:10am

Hey Deb..I read about your Taxco..I was going to start a thread to ask what to do with it..who made it and what COE it is.I don't remember where I got it.Sorry..this isn't a Devardi question.I do have a bunch of other glass I bought last year when I was all doped up from my surgical problems and they are not labeled with anymore than names.I will do a separate thread to ask people about them.Sorry to go off topic,guys...
"

Old 2011-07-11, 6:13am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
Hey Deb..I read about your Taxco..I was going to start a thread to ask what to do with it..who made it and what COE it is.I don't remember where I got it.Sorry..this isn't a Devardi question.I do have a bunch of other glass I bought last year when I was all doped up from my surgical problems and they are not labeled with anymore than names.I will do a separate thread to ask people about them.Sorry to go off topic,guys...
Go for it, I can't say I love it, and I have lots!

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-07-11, 6:15am

Is it a 104 and a reduction glass? Who makes it,Deb?
"

Old 2011-07-11, 6:28am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Bracelets made with Devardi Copper Black & SOP Lt. Baby Blue

.•:*¨*:•..•:*¨*:•.
This bracelet was made using Copper Black and a 96 Frit. I find the Copper Black to be softer to work with than the Intense Black, so it is my favorite.

This pressed bracelet was made using Semi Opaque Lt. Baby Blue and other Devardi colors including encased Goldstone stringer. I used Semi Opaque White behind the Transparent Dk. Rose flower petals, and for the white flower petals. The Semi Opaque Lt. Baby Blue is such a pleasure to work with. It's also one of my favorites from Devardi.
Old 2011-07-11, 6:38am

Absolutely beautiful! I also like the copper black and have been using it more often as just black since you mentioned it a while back. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 2011-07-11, 7:15am

Beautiful Kristina I especially like the blue set.

Have you ever been able to get the copper black to go copper? I know that you have to use a propane only torch so I tried a hot head which I borrowed just to try for this purpose, and I also tried a plumbers torch. I could not get it to work.

Old 2011-07-11, 7:25am

Why don't we start another thread about the tips and experiences with the glass and let this one die?
Old 2011-07-11, 7:28am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default 2 Devardi Bracelets made using Transparent Cranberry & Vibrant Blue

These beads were decorated in the same style but with different colors. The Transparent Cranberry is a real pleasure to work with. The Transparent Vibrant Blue was more challenging.

This bracelet was made using Devardi's Transparent Cranberry and Intense Black stringer.

This bracelet was made using Devardi's Vibrant Blue and the Intense Black stringer.
Old 2011-07-11, 7:33am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Beautiful Kristina I especially like the blue set.

Have you ever been able to get the copper black to go copper? I know that you have to use a propane only torch so I tried a hot head which I borrowed just to try for this purpose, and I also tried a plumbers torch. I could not get it to work.

I need to read up on what they say to do and give it a try. It sure is appealing. I just reordered the Copper Black.
Old 2011-07-11, 7:40am
Millionaire in Training

So here's something wonderful about Devardi semi-opal dark peach: I love it! This color barely needs any preheating right in the flame and is very easy to press into a lovely lentil. Also, I'm still learning fine stringer control, so Devardi is a very nice glass to do that with, being that it is fairly stiff. I pulled a stringer 1 mm thick. I made some of my best stringer scrolls squiggles with the salmon. Also, since some of Devardi glass is oddly shaped, with a v-divot down the middle, it's easy to identify when mixed up with the other jumble of glass that constitutes my workstation. I was reaching fora rod and had my didies on and then I felt the rod with the divot and knew that was the champagne I was looking for!

I will post pictures, but I'm a little shy at my pulled petals on the flower lentils I've made. I've just been trying pulling and twisting petals for the first time. I've pulled before, but not twisted as well. Anyway, I was about to write more self-critique of my beads, but nevermind...I choose to let that go!
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi