Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-08-26, 5:44pm

Default Question for those of you with a minor and two oxycons

Hi - I just got a second oxycon and hooked it up along with my first one (y connector) to my minor torch. I am pretty sure I did everything right as it seemed very straight forward. However I'm hearing a hissing sound now when I crank up the O2... is that normal? Is that just the sound of more O2? I just wanted to make sure!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-26, 5:54pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I hear hissing with my 2 together, so sounds normal to me. It also depends on how high you have them set. I keep each at about 3-1/2 lpm and they hiss at that setting. If I set them lower than that, the hissing is less.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-08-27, 9:30am
PyronamixK

If the hissing is from the torch, then yes, it's normal.
Old 2008-08-27, 9:32am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

yes, I guess I should clarify that the hissing I am hearing is from the torch face

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-08-27, 11:33am

yup thats where mine is hissing from too... i guess it's all good!

Old 2010-02-23, 11:05am
reaction junkie

I just did this yesterday and I can't stand the hissing. Is it safe to turn the oxy knob down at the torch to adjust, or is it just better to dial down the oxycon(s)? Or just go back to my single 5lpm and wait for a new bigger torch to arrive?

/
/
/
Old 2010-02-23, 11:53am
PyronamixK

Do the adjusting with your torch valves. The oxygen concentrators will follow on their own - if you turn the oxygen valve down on your torch, you will see that the flow from the concentrator drops. Just make sure that you don't turn it down so much that one or both machines has the flow ball resting at the bottom of the meter. That's not good.

Keep in mind that an oxidizing flame is going to hiss. That's just what happens. It does that on tanked oxygen, too. It's because you are passing a lot of oxygen through little tubes and it's like a whistle.
Old 2010-02-23, 11:58am
reaction junkie

THANK YOU Kimberly, I didn't want to ruin my oyxcons trying to figure this out. I guess I'll just use the ex-15 for now since it seems that's already more than enough for the torch and try to tone it down with the torch knob. I've never had a true oxidizing flame before, something new to experiment with... don't mind the hiss if it's just temporary, but all the time was going to make me insane!

/
/
/
Old 2010-02-23, 1:05pm
reaction junkie

YES, this is perfect now - thank you!!

/
/
/