No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-05-04, 5:11am
Christine

Default Help Silver Coring Bead with Jim Moore Tool

I have been silver coring beads with my Jim Moore Tool --- for every 10 I do I end up with 5 (maybe) that will work - if you press too hard the silver will split or you risk chipping the bead - if you don't press hard enough the core is not a tight fit. I usually cut the tubing about 3mm longer than the bead size. I am using 3/16" mandrels and the tubing that Ginko sells which is a perfect size for the Biagi bracelet.........does anybody have any advice to make this an easier process....... Thanks....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-05-04, 5:34am
Flaming Redhead!

I have a little better success rate, though not by much. I found that if I cut the tubing 2mm longer than the bead it worked better/easier...you might try that. Other than that I'm afraid I'm not much help. I would be interested to see what others have to say about it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2009-05-04, 6:42am
Dichro Addict

How much are you flaring each time? Just flare a little bit and then flip it and do the other side. Back and forth several times. I always check the bead and make sure it isn't stuck on one end. As soon as the bead starts to feel snug, switch to the plastic dies and finish it off. Also, your bead ends need to be even and flat or dimpled or you will get cracking or bad coring. If they are not even, I wouldn't even bother coring it.

Old 2009-05-04, 6:46am
On a good hair day.

I had the same problem and I talked with Jim Moore and learned I was cutting the tubing too long. Then my DH helped with the bead breaking problem. I have a heavy hand when I use the plastic dies. Do what Lenora said and then when you switch to the plastic die let the die rest on the top of the bead. With your left hand pick the bead up a tiny bit from the botom and with your right make a fist and just tap a few times on the bar. Check and turn it over and do the same thing. Sounds weird but it helped a lot. I never break the beads anymore.

Patricia

Old 2009-05-04, 11:12am
Parrot Lover

I have had a great success rate. 98% or better. You need to pay very close attention to your bead holes. Must have donut shape beads as in the directions that came with the press. It helps to clean up the hole a little with a diamond bit on a dremmel tool. The silver tube can not be any longer than 2mm beyond the bead. I flare a little at a time and keep flipping. To get a nice flat and smooth finish to the flare, I use a leather mallet to finish the job, then polish with polishing papers and cloth. I have been using the Jim Moore press for about 10 months now and I love it!!!

Old 2009-05-04, 1:27pm
Yorkies Rule

Martha ,what are polishing papers and where do you get them?
Old 2009-05-04, 9:00pm

I have a very good success rate too. Finishing off with the Rubber set is really important too.

Also, I found if I don't have me cut edges totally smooth, I am more likely to have the core crack. I bought the 3M Radial Bristles from Rio Grande, 220 grit and 1 micron grit.
ones fit my mini grinder (from Harbor Freight). I also have these to fit my Dremel.

The wonderful Andrea showed us these fantastic tools !
~~