No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-02-26, 9:49am

Default Fire resistant surface-inexpensive

http://www.americantinceilings.com/colors/blank.html

This company sells tin ceilings, but they have unembossed 2'x2' tin squares for about $8 plus shipping. You could use these to cover a table for your torch. As always, check with someone more knowledgeable than I to make sure that thee tiles provide the optimum protection for your work space.

dawn

mini cc, tanked O2, propane and a diet coke
Old 2008-02-26, 10:02am
boro color bender

I think the pattern ones would be way cool... but alas, on my bench they would go unseen.

Cement board for use in wet area construction... like bathrooms... is a great cheap alternative... check at home depot or similar store... big sheets for cheap, just about perfect for a single station.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-02-26, 10:07am
Looking for my waistline

I think they'd be perfect for my setup. Hubby built a big box out of cement board with my vent system on top. He surrounded my desktop with cement so I wouldn't set the house on fire! It's effective, but it's really ugly. I've been thinking about how to cover it, either with a handmade pierced copper cover, or using cement stains and painting a design. Those tin panels might just be the solution!

My cousin lives in Bradenton (where that shop is located). He has a cabin in the mountains not too far from me. I could probably get him to pick them up and haul them to the cabin next time he comes up! It would save a bundle in shipping, because I bet those babies are heavy.

Thanks for the link!
Old 2008-02-26, 12:57pm
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

chuckie
I have some embossed design tin ceiling tiles left over from a job I just weighed one it came in at 7oz. The heavy duty ones weighed 13.5oz each shipping for these probably wouldn't be expensive for weight but for size, plus the bend and crease real easy thats why I have some left over not having seen this particular product I would ask a couple of questions first.

-do they put a protective coating on to stop tarnish ... sometimes the coating can be flamable

-are they soilid tin? if so they have a realativly low melting point and a large gob of glass could actually melt a thin tile, some tiles are actually tin coated steel and are more robust but once the tin coating is scratched they are prone to rust.

I used 18 gauge sheet metal on both my benches you can get it from most metal dealers a 48" x 96" sheet was $52.00 and they cut it into 4 pieces 24" x 48" for $1 per cut. It will eventually rust on me but a 3m pad and elbow grease will clean it up.

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Last edited by Mark Parkinson; 2008-02-26 at 12:58pm. Reason: tried to correct some spelling
Old 2008-02-26, 1:15pm

I bought stainless steel sheet from this person. They work great and are easy to clean because they don't have any seams or ridges.
http://stores.ebay.com/FRIGO-DESIGN_...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Old 2008-02-26, 3:10pm
Looking for my waistline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Parkinson View Post
-do they put a protective coating on to stop tarnish ... sometimes the coating can be flamable

-are they soilid tin? if so they have a realativly low melting point and a large gob of glass could actually melt a thin tile, some tiles are actually tin coated steel and are more robust but once the tin coating is scratched they are prone to rust.

I used 18 gauge sheet metal on both my benches you can get it from most metal dealers a 48" x 96" sheet was $52.00 and they cut it into 4 pieces 24" x 48" for $1 per cut. It will eventually rust on me but a 3m pad and elbow grease will clean it up.
I've thought about all those options. Since I'm only wanting to cover the outside of the box, not the inside where the flames would be, I don't know if it would be acceptable to cover the box with something decorative without sand blasting off a potentially flamable coating. As a matter of fact, the reason I haven't used the cement stains yet is due to this same question. Is the catalyst used with the paints flamable? I need to check into the answer to that question before I'd even use the stains.

I actually think a copper coating would look nicer than tin. But then I know copper fumes are bad, so I haven't gone that route yet.

Steel appears to be the safest option, I'd just need to find a local supplier. If I'm going to go with steel, I might as well take some measurements and have someone bend it into shape for me.

I just spent all my money on Frantz's glass sales and a new M-15. It's going to be a while before I do anything to make the table more visually appealing. I think I'll have plenty of time do some research!
Old 2008-02-27, 7:24am

I just got some flashing at Home Depot. Less than $20 for WAY more than I needed. It covered my 6x4 table top which I then spray painted with heat proof black pain (like for wood stoves) and the rest was used for part of ventilation.

I love the look of tin ceilings though. That would be cool.

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2008-02-28, 6:28am

In columbus we have a place called Bargin Outlet
they buy left over building supplies and resell them
I got a box of ceramic floor tiles for less than $10
right now 2 are sitting on the bench I am using
Old 2008-03-02, 8:35am

just to clarify, i posted the link to the plain tin, flat tiles as an option, not the decorative ones, as they often have a decorative faux finish. I also think it's much safer than trying to torch near a sheetrock wall. Just so you know

mini cc, tanked O2, propane and a diet coke
Old 2012-03-30, 11:36am

Old thread, i know. I have a rectangle of sheet metal screwed to the wall, and three large, thick, polished marble cutting boards as my work surface, on top of a thin layer of aluminum foil. It's awesome because I can put hot rods directly down anywhere on my work surface if I need to, and if I drop some molten glass I can touch down, pick it up with a hot rod or a bead, and keep using it.
Old 2012-03-31, 4:08pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Don't know if they are national but there is a chain of metal suppliers called Metal Supermarket. They carry all manner of metal including stainless steel sheet, galvanized, and plain sheet, bar, round, copper, all the steel alloys and much more. Their prices are good and they cut to size for you either free or for next to nothing. I get all my materials at the one near here. No connection, just a very satisfied customer.
Old 2012-04-01, 12:49pm

I may have to check these guys out they are about a 10 minute drive from my house.

SRA R-143
It doesn’t interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive... Oria Mountain Dreamer
My ETSY Shop
Old 2024-03-12, 2:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bar View Post
I may have to check these guys out they are about a 10 minute drive from my house.
I wholly recommend them.
They're one of the best local distributors.