LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-28, 5:56pm

Default Tutorial SELLING Mania?

Hey, Sherry came up with it and I think it was wonderful and great to buy and share her wonderful tutorial with her!

But all of a sudden, there are so many tutorials to buy...

I just don't like it.

What do you think about it?

MM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT-Scorpion, Carlisle Lucio Burner / 2x8l 17.5psi concentrators
Old 2008-07-28, 5:58pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I think Teresa was the first, with her goddess tutorial. As far as the rash of tuts...I like it, quite a lot, actually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-07-28, 6:02pm

Anyone got a list?
Old 2008-07-28, 6:02pm
Duchess of Dichro

WHat don't you like about it Martina ? I think they are great , a new way to learn techniques !

Old 2008-07-28, 6:03pm
More ideas than talent

I like it too. An awful lot of work goes into those tutorials, and so far, all the tutorials are lampworkers who I'd happily buy books from if they were available. And at least they get the full benefit of the sale, not a smaller royalty as they would if it was published by a publishing house. The quality so far has been extremely professional.

Having said that, I'd also be sad if people stopped adding tutorials to the tutorial section as well.

Old 2008-07-28, 6:05pm

That's true! Leslie, you're right.

MM

Old 2008-07-28, 6:11pm
ID10T Problem Solver

I am extremely grateful for their time and more than willing to pay for their techniques.

This is just a hobby for me and I cannot afford to take more than a class a year. These open up a whole world to those who cannot take classes due to location or finances.

I believe Sherry's technique was being picked apart before her tutorial came out, so why shouldn't she benefit finacially from the hundreds of hours she spent to develop it?

Laurie's florals were going to be in as-yet unpublished Spotlight on Florals book and correct me if I am wrong, she would not have benefitted financially from it at all. At least she is benefitting from her own published tutorials and I will gladly pay her for them!

Personally, I would like to see more artists who have spent countless hours developing their unique techniques put a tutorial out and benefit financially, especially if in the case of Sherry, people were figuring out how to do it and making money off it.

If you don't like them, don't buy them.

***Scorpion (4 stud)***

Last edited by jana; 2008-07-28 at 6:13pm.
Old 2008-07-28, 6:16pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirima View Post
Hey, Sherry came up with it and I think it was wonderful and great to buy and share her wonderful tutorial with her!

But all of a sudden, there are so many tutorials to buy...

I just don't like it.

What do you think about it?

MM
Why on earth would you not like it?

Old 2008-07-28, 6:16pm
ID10T Problem Solver

Actually, I see you are in Switzerland. I would think you would be one of the people who would benefit a great deal from these tutorials.

Do many of these well know and gifted artists teach over there often?

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2008-07-28, 6:19pm

I love that tutorials are becoming available from the artist. I'll gladly pay.

Old 2008-07-28, 6:20pm

Acutally, I DO like it!

I did like Sherry's Tutorial and I did like to pay for it. Her Tutorial is just excellent.

Old 2008-07-28, 6:22pm
sunscreen me baby

I'm thrilled to see people make a few dollars on their tutorials. While it has been fabulous that so much information has been given freely, I think it is important to remember it was always a gift not a given.

~

Old 2008-07-28, 6:22pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I'm confused. That's nothing new though...

So you're tickled about the tutorials now? Glad we could be of service. Man I wish some of my clients were that easy.

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-07-28, 6:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana View Post
Actually, I see you are in Switzerland. I would think you would be one of the people who would benefit a great deal from these tutorials.

Do many of these well know and gifted artists teach over there often?
???

Old 2008-07-28, 6:26pm
Curmudgeon

It's becoming increasingly costly for students to travel to take classes and instructors to travel to give them. Selling tutorials is a great solution that benefits both.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-07-28, 6:28pm
ID10T Problem Solver

Perhaps I can clarify what I meant if you specify what you did not understand.

Quote:
???

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2008-07-28, 6:31pm
Detail G-Mama!

My decision to offer up tutorials is because of classes being canceled due to not enough people signed up, mainly because of the economy I'm sure! With my hubby's hours getting cut back, this is going to fill the extra income that he won't be getting for a little while anyways...I hope! Thankfully I have a class this weekend so that will defintely help out! People have asked me for years to make a book, the tuts are a lot easier!

Old 2008-07-28, 6:36pm

Please forgive me and forget it. I'm certainly NOT able to post in English and I won't do it again. I'm sorry, I didn't have the intention to confuse us.

I'm sorry! Martina

Old 2008-07-28, 6:38pm

I had a tutorial publised in the ISGB Glass Bead magazine. Now I'm wondering if I could get paid for it. Oh well, too late now. I'm just thrilled to be published.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-07-28, 6:40pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Please forgive me and forget it. I'm certainly NOT able to post in English and I won't do it again. I'm sorry, I didn't have the intention to confuse us.

I'm sorry! Martina
No apology needed. You made a language boo boo; no biggie. Glad to see that you like the tutorials as well. I can just imagine me trying to type Swiss...it wouldn't be pretty.

Old 2008-07-28, 6:42pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

I have always wanted to teach, but Im soooooooooo shy! Its much easier for me to teach this way..I thinks it's so awesome!
Ive never been able to afford to travel to even take a class, let alone teach one.
Jana was right about the spotlight on florals, I think things happen for a reason, and I think it's a a good thing for me, it was'nt ever made, firstly Iv'e had over a year and a half more to refine the work.. Secondly of course im profiting more from it.. lol
I am trying to keep the cost as low as I can on these. But it is alot more work than one might think, i'ts not just about putting it together , its about the years before making a design people would even want to know how to replicate..lol
at anyrate! Im pro tut!
lol

~~
~~

Last edited by Ever After; 2008-07-28 at 6:46pm.
Old 2008-07-28, 6:45pm

ok Im gonna go back and spell check that last post, lol
see even people with english as a first language can really blow it..lol

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-28, 6:46pm
ID10T Problem Solver

No, please don't go.

English is actually a second language to me, right behind VB.NET! Most of the time, I see my world in code, if then and else statements, and have to often remind myself to "humanize" my environment.

I misunderstood your original post that you were unhappy with all the tutorials for sell. Please stay and continue to post and I apologize if I upset you.

Quote:

I'm sorry! Martina

***Scorpion (4 stud)***

Last edited by jana; 2008-07-28 at 6:48pm.
Old 2008-07-28, 6:51pm

I'm thrilled as well!

I didn't want to offend anyone. Honestly!

I was just wondering about that tutorial-selling-mania. That's it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I had a tutorial publised in the ISGB Glass Bead magazine. Now I'm wondering if I could get paid for it. Oh well, too late now. I'm just thrilled to be published.

Old 2008-07-28, 6:55pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I am thrilled! I get to "take a class" in my jammies!!

Old 2008-07-28, 6:56pm

lol and we get to teach in ours!

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-28, 7:05pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierces*designs View Post
I am thrilled! I get to "take a class" in my jammies!!
I do mine naked.

Probably for the best it's online.
Wouldn't want to scare small children....

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-07-28, 7:08pm
Covered in glitter

I love it personally. I can understand what Martina means in a way though. I *think* that she's worried that people won't share things anymore but will always want to sell their stuff. I think that for the little, "this is how I do things" that would be not good but for the big tuts I like it.
I can see spending a certain amount of money for them. I do have to say that I was a little shocked at the price on one recent tut. I wouldn't pay that much money for 99% of the books that are out there and sure can't do it for a tutorial. (and probably wouldn't if I could). If that person can get that kind of money, then great! I don't have a problem with that part, I just won't pay it. I can't imagine that many people will either. I would say that any tut that's $20~~ or so I will buy unless it's something I already know how to do or something I'm not interested in doing.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-07-28, 7:14pm
Duchess of Dichro

I think it would be great to have an ongoing list of the tuts for sale , where could we start a list ? Maybe right here in tips ?

Old 2008-07-28, 7:16pm
Covered in glitter

There is. It's a separate thingy right above the tut section. If you click on tutorials just look at the top part of it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche