Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2016-06-21, 6:05pm
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

Default Kiln repair (infinite switch)

I have a Jen Ken AF 1381 that is my overflow kiln when I have filled the Paragon.

The infinite switch has gone on it. I have been using the switch in the high position for about 2 years and using a stand alone controller for programing the kiln.

Can the infinite switch be replaced safely with just an on/off switch ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2016-06-22, 6:36am

If it were my kiln, I would replace the switch with another infinite control of the same type. Using a toggle switch would modify the kiln's design, and the switch might not be rated for the amperage of the kiln.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com
Old 2016-06-22, 7:49am
Phill

An infinite switch is part of a control circuit that turns the heating element on and off in order to maintain the temperature with in some specific range around the value you want.

A thermostat in the kiln senses the temp and feeds a voltage to the infinite switch which is actually a variable resistor. When the voltage and the resistance of the infinite switch reach a balance point that will turn on ( or turn off ) a relay that allows the heating element to heat up.

Replacing the infinite switch ( a variable resistor ) with an on / off type of switch means the kiln will not have a control system anymore and it will either be always on or always off until you change the position of the switch.

Baby sitting that switch will be both exciting and boring when you use it that way.

The exciting part comes when you forget to turn it off the second time.

Parts are relatively inexpensive.

Insurance will not cover damages to your house when they find out you bypassed this switch.
Old 2016-06-22, 2:40pm
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

maybe I did not explain it well enough the kiln is plugged into a separate stand alone controller that uses its own thermocouple to monitor the kiln the only thing the infinite switch did was to allow a flow of current to the element as decided by the controller. Any way I talked to the electrical engineer at work and he looked over the schematics and said the infinite control was underrated for its use any way and to get a 15amp rated toggle switch and replace it as it is only there to interrupt the flow from the controller if absolutely needed.

Thank you for your input.

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2016-06-22, 4:44pm
Phill

Aye, well if you have a separate controller you can almost get by with jumpering around the switch with a hard copper wire.

Some sort of switch is the wiser idea but it sounds like you have your bases covered.