No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-12-17, 11:31am
..in withdrawal....

Default Fan Recommendations

For those of you who have put together an exhaust system that works well...

What brand of fan? What cfm? Is it fairly quiet? Are you having to use ducting to vent any distance? Is the speed adjustable?

I've poured over the forum threads several times and have soaked up lots of info, but I would like some specific recommendations from people who have bought and used the fans.

Thanks!
Kay
Old 2007-12-17, 4:37pm

Default i too am interested

i dont have a system, but i desperately need one and find it rather overwhelming, so look forward to reading what people post
Old 2007-12-17, 5:32pm
Gentleman of Leisure

First off what is hood size or face size of fume cabinet ..... With out that size, all other calculations or speculations are moot.....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-12-17 at 5:35pm.
Old 2007-12-17, 6:25pm

Dale...do you recommend a hood at the very least, or a boxed in area with a hood on top? If I don't want to box in an area, would just a hood be OK? (the fan would be attached to the hood and the exhaust would be ducted out the window).

Thanks,
Jennifer

Visit me here:

Old 2007-12-17, 8:48pm
Gentleman of Leisure

A hood.... Minimum....

A hood with "boxed" area under it ....Better....

Designed fume hood..... BEST.....

Yes you can run duct out window if you can seal window opening so there is no fumes drawn back into studio from that window...

Dale

Old 2007-12-18, 10:02am
..in withdrawal....

I am planning on calculating the correct size, etc for my situation --- all I want right now is to find out what has worked for other people so I can narrow down brands, types, etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
First off what is hood size or face size of fume cabinet ..... With out that size, all other calculations or speculations are moot.....

Dale
Old 2007-12-18, 11:59am

daton, ellicent, gro tech, are all brand names of quality fans.....thats not a complete list just the ones i can think of off the top of my head
Old 2007-12-18, 8:56pm

Default Ellicent fans

I have found a couple of these ellicent fans second hand for sale, what cfm must they be. Do i buy the fan first, or what??
Old 2007-12-18, 10:11pm
Sheila

I'm looking into moving my studio and redoing my ventilation, and I've found the same huge pile of information. It's frustrating because all the tech talk goes over my head. I just want effective ventilation. If possible, I want it quiet and I want my make-up air coming from a spot near the hood, so I don't lose all my warm/cool air.

I really like Whit Slemmons' article, but I don't think that system would be effective in my space. He gives a very detailed, step-by-step description with actual product names and links.

Would you be willing to provide something like this, Dale? Maybe some sort of standard recommendation that we can adjust as necessary? I think it's probably not all that complicated, but it's really hard to put all the information together into a meaningful plan.

PS: I hope I don't sound critical or bitchy. I'm just trying to convey how overwhelming and frustrating it is to figure it all out in a forum.

Old 2007-12-19, 7:20am
..in withdrawal....

Does anyone know if any appropriate type of fan allows for speed variations? I anticipate using a single speed most of the time, but could see wanting to possibly reduce the speed temporarily when handling silver leaf, etc, or increase the speed temporarily for fuming.
Old 2007-12-19, 7:22am
..in withdrawal....

Sheila,

That's exactly my problem. I am not dumb, just ignorant, and it's hard to put together all the info and come up with something that is correct on the first try. And let's face it, the cost of a system makes it difficult to take the "trial and error" route. I want to get it right the first time if at all possible.
Old 2007-12-19, 7:55am

1st step is BUILD A HOOD
Then pick a fan based on the type/size of hood.

This is the easiest way...
Old 2007-12-19, 8:08am
..in withdrawal....

There's my biggest "flaw" (although personally I think it's a strength!) ---- I have to look at the whole picture to make sure that the first thing I build works well with the last thing I build. The hood design could be affected by the type/size fan I want to use, and the fan type/size could be affected by the hood I build. If I want to get a smaller fan to reduce the noise level, then I will need a smaller face opening in the hood. If a larger fan that is quiet is available, then I'll make the hood larger so I can have more elbow room. If I can get a variable speed fan, then I could design the hood/box in such a way that it could be used for different purposes. I'm just a big picture kinda gal!

Ultimately I would want a quiet larger fan with variable speed and a larger hood/box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroburner View Post
1st step is BUILD A HOOD
Then pick a fan based on the type/size of hood.

This is the easiest way...
Old 2007-12-19, 9:29am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadworkstudio View Post

Would you be willing to provide something like this, Dale? Maybe some sort of standard recommendation that we can adjust as necessary? I think it's probably not all that complicated, but it's really hard to put all the information together into a meaningful plan.

Actually what you request has been accomplished dozens of times by many people. But not in the concept you are asking for...

Basically they are select hood, do measurements on hood size, calculate CFM needed, buy fan from various sources and assemble everything with proper duct....

The problem with trying to generate a list of products and assembly instruction is the fact every bodies requirement is different, parts are not universally available, and the cost of system would be beyond what people are willing to pay. The only way one can do this is have control of all items specified in the design criteria.

Flip side is there have been cases of people using almost identical parts (hood, fan, duct) and one person says it work great, other person says its a failure and does not work.

The theory has been posted on all popular forums, the calculations for figuring CFM for air flow is readily available, and any community should have sources for hoods and a duct work.... You have to go out and visit places like restaurant suppliers, industrial suppliers, home improvement centers, shops that make HVAC ducting systems....

THE closest thing I can think of would be having a spread sheet that has all the calculations on how to accomplish the measurements and determining duct and blower sizes and possible list of readily available parts...

The project would take hundreds of hours to assemble and correlate... I already have 15 to 20 hour into basic calculation spreads sheet and its not perfected yet so I have not released it to the "public"...

Dale

Old 2007-12-19, 9:33am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayG7 View Post
There's my biggest "flaw" (although personally I think it's a strength!) ---- I have to look at the whole picture to make sure that the first thing I build works well with the last thing I build. The hood design could be affected by the type/size fan I want to use, and the fan type/size could be affected by the hood I build. If I want to get a smaller fan to reduce the noise level, then I will need a smaller face opening in the hood. If a larger fan that is quiet is available, then I'll make the hood larger so I can have more elbow room. If I can get a variable speed fan, then I could design the hood/box in such a way that it could be used for different purposes. I'm just a big picture kinda gal!

Ultimately I would want a quiet larger fan with variable speed and a larger hood/box.
This is probably the closest you are going to get to one size fits all.....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...opic.php?t=273

Dale

Old 2007-12-19, 9:52am
..in withdrawal....

OK ... let me word this differently --- won't get the variety of answers I would like, but might get me closer.....

Does anyone know of a fan that is suitable for lampworking ventilation that is 800-1600 cfm, will work effectively for a system with about 15 feet of 7" ducting, and can be operated at various speeds by either a speed controller or built-in speed settings?
Old 2007-12-19, 10:34am
..in withdrawal....

Aha! Found something that should work for speed control --- how can you tell which blowers are ok to use with this type of controller?

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/kbwc.htm
Old 2007-12-20, 1:32pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Suggest you read information in links in this thread...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=13

Dale

Old 2007-12-20, 2:03pm
..in withdrawal....

Yes, it is!!! This solidified for me a lot of what I have been reading and gave me some ideas on how to balance out the box size, duct size, and fan cfm.... just what I needed!

One thing --- the article, and several other people here, have recommended getting fans from Grainger. When I called my local Grainger they said they would only sell to businesses. How are individuals here getting supplies from Grainger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Suggest you read information in links in this thread...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=13

Dale
Old 2007-12-20, 5:14pm

Default fan placement

I have read the material regarding the fan requirements relating to the hood size. I am ready to begin building and installing my ventilation system. I have selected a fan based on the area of the hood and number of bends calculations. My question is where is the optimal placement for the fan. Is it at the hood or at the point where the fumes will be exhausted to the outside. Your help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Carl
Old 2007-12-20, 7:20pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Placement of fan in system is a non issue.... It can be either at front end (hood) or back end (exhaust) the "function" will be the same... Only consideration may be placement for ease of assembling ventilation setup...

Dale

Old 2007-12-20, 9:19pm

Default Fan Placement

Dale, Thanks for the info. It will make my installation a lot simpler.

Carl
Old 2007-12-22, 11:31am
Pyromaniac in training

Default more ventilation questions

Dale,
You have given us great places to check for information. Thank you so much.
I do have two questions:
1. With the box I can exhaust out the top with a 90 degree bend or I can exhaust out the back I know my CFM would need to be different but is one a better option than the other?
2. I have made my box out off concrete board should I line it with sheet aluminum?

Thanks,
Old 2007-12-22, 4:36pm
Gentleman of Leisure

You can exhaust out most any direction, just avoid excessive number of bends in your ducting....

Concrete board will flake off some particles of concrete in beginning, I suggest you seal concrete board with something simple like a water base paint.... No it wont get so it will burn paint, if it gets that hot you have other problems...

Lining with aluminum would solve the dust and grit problem but not necessary...
You can if you want...

Dale

Old 2007-12-22, 6:04pm
Pyromaniac in training

Default Thanks

Thanks Dale.
I was thinking of using a tinted sealer just to have a more pleasant working background.