Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-10-24, 8:20pm

Thumbs up Dear Mr. Ross Nightcat..

Dear Ross,
When I stumbled across your link on a glassforum to the bead videos, I was so excited! I could hardly believe it! You were so REAL and kind, I thought, to share your knowledge and FOR FREE! I'm a fair newbie, and I'll tell you what, I got a priceless gift from you and I'll never forget it-instead of showing off and actiing like a superhero, you helped me RELAX with the Glass. Your down-to-earth attitude and pleasant disposition, gave me the feeling that you were saying, "hey, you can do this. Don't be afraid."

As far as teaching me "bad habits", from what I hear, Mr. Smircich lays his glass on the rod in a pretty funky way. I don't know for sure, because with all the other start-up expenses there are getting into glass, I can't afford his videos!
Thanks, Ross. Seriously, I think you're really cool!!!!
Old 2006-10-24, 8:44pm

Just to clarify, not to say that Jim Smircich does not rock. He does. Hope to learn from him, too!
Old 2006-10-25, 5:37am
Flossy-Flossy

Muchos Gracias, Ross.

I thought your video was great. That's why I posted it. There are some newbies on here who like to see the general process of making a bead. A video does much more than pictures can.

Smiles,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-10-28, 7:16am

Default Tie Dye beads

Wow - the title caught my eye 'cause I LOVE tie dye stuff so a tie dye bead was hard to resist. And then to find out there are videos on YouTube about beadmaking--very cool man!!

Thank you to the person who did the video. It must be hard to do that yourself but you show the basics of what is going on. It did help with the filter over the lens. I'm going to try a tie dye bead now!

Nancy
Beaver Island Jewelry
eBay
Old 2006-11-13, 8:57pm

Ross,
I have been at this lampworking thing nearly a year. I have watched all your videos, and I was very entertained. I thought it was very generous of you to undertake such a project, not to mention daring to film it all yourself while at the torch. I wish I had seen them when I started because to see thing from the artist's side of the torch is very helpful, especially for those of us who are self taught. So...you rock.

Joyce

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-13, 11:50pm
Great balls uh' fire!

Ross, please, please do NOT stop. I am somewhat new to this and find that lampworking classes are very expensive. With this medium you must learn by watching and the dang videos I've rented are just too long and boring!! Sometimes I appreciate having a quick lesson. Most people who watch your videos are going to already know the basics, don't bore them. Just give an idea of how to make a certain kind of bead, steps, colors etc. We can figure out the rest.
Thank you so much for the work you did. I'll be looking for more.

If you can't convince em', confuse em'.
Harry S. Trueman
Old 2006-11-14, 8:59am
Ellyloo-YAH!

ooOo. He's got a tiger bead tute up now.
Old 2006-11-14, 10:26am

Thumbs up

I wanted to get a new one out this weekend but life got (gets) ahead of me. I will have a new one up by next weekend.... At least that is the current plan. *NAOS* has given me permission to video her Dragon/Python Scales demo from this forum. Mine are not nearly as good as hers but hopefully it will still be valuable to see it done.

Would anyone be interested in flameworking Podcasts? Podcast -> Audio only, generally MP3 format. Glasscaster , has a good thing going. I do not know if this is already posted on LE or not. Glasscaster is an interview style podcast and professionally done.

I am working on my own Podcast. Decidedly NOT Professionally done... It will be more of a view from the shop floor, current projects and glass science based. No "star player" interviews. I have one done if anyone wants to check it out. Night Cat Design Podcast Give it a minute to down-load and let me know what you think. I have a Podcast Pickle Page called Night Cat Design. Currently all the videos (vidcast) are exactly the same ones that are on Youtube, they are just in a down-loadable format. The only unique bit on there is the one Podcast at the bottom of the page.

If anyone is interested in doing their own flameworking video or audio I would be willing to help them get started. My wife listens to Cast-On which is a Podcast for knitters. There is a "tight knit" Podcasting community with dozens of podcasters each with a different focus. Kind of "audio blogs" I guess. I think it would be very cool to get the same thing going with the flameworking community using both audio and video feeds. PM me if you want some help getting started. I am not an expert but I'll do my best.

Margriet1962 has her own youtube channel now. Can't wait to see what she does with it.

Anyway.... Thank-You for all the support. It is greatly appreciated!

Ross~Nightcat~hotglass (btw, nightcat was taken on youtube so if you see something on youtube by "nightcat", it isn't me! I'm still miffed about that... grrrrr)
Old 2007-05-18, 5:34am
Bravewarrior stumblinbatt

Smile Thank you Hula Girl & Nightcat

You both absolutely ROCK!! Beth - thanks for posting the link, & Ross thank you so very much for making it possible for a link to be posted.

This newbie, stuck way down here in New Zealand & trying desperately to teach herself (along with some help from the lovely Fiona from Claybraes) to make lampwork beads - finally found this thread this afternoon.

I watched the video (& made a few notes), then immediately went a fired up my torch. Today I feel that I have finally 'made it' - not only did I manage to make my first successful twistie thanks to the video, but I actually put together a set of 'Tie-Dyed' beads (a focal & some spacers).

Perhaps the glass gods were looking out for me & the planets were in the right place as well - because I even made 6 spacers the same size (usually I get 2 of 'similar' size if I'm lucky -lol), - to be honest though I think it was more the fact of seeing it done from 'the right perspective' & in it's entirety, & explained in a clear & easy to understand manner. Books tend to break everything down into too many steps & it seems stilted & muddled by the time you get to the torch - besides it's not exactly easy to turn pages with a mandrel in one hand & glass in the other.

Thanks a million Ross .....tomorrow I'll work through some more of those wonderful tutorial videos!

Deb
Old 2007-05-18, 6:12am

Thanks Deb. I am having so much fun with youtube that I have dropped the podcast stuff. I don't have time to do it all so I'm just sticking with the youtube videos. I sure wish someone would pick up the podcasting.

I have more in the works so stay tuned. Fortunately there are a bunch of folks now doing flameworking videos.

~R
Old 2007-05-18, 7:39am

I for one am glad you are doing this. You are sharing your knowledge and time to help others. (Really appreciate the filter). I am not exactly a newbie but seeing things actually done is so helpful. I glean what I can use and ignore the rest. My beads are not perfect by any means but I am enjoying the journey and I do aspire to make them the best I can. All the knowledge in the world is useless unless it is acted upon. PPP Pam

Last edited by glasser; 2007-05-18 at 7:44am.
Old 2007-05-18, 8:14am

Thumbs up

This thread has been viewed something like 4,000 times and not one person seems to have taken up my challenge from page 1. How good of a bead can you make, start to finish, in 10 minutes? You don't even have to talk or show the materials, just make the bead.

Thanks again for all the support. I do the best I can. Ya know, part of my motivation is just to document my progress in this craft. I may not know where I'm going but I can see where I've been.

~R
Old 2007-05-19, 6:34pm
all for the love of glass

I've been doing this for only a short time yet...a couple of years... so am not yet so jaded that I don't enjoy seeing the glass melted in whatever fashion the artist chooses. One of the first vids I bought was Corrina Tettingers. Theres a clip in there where she introduces her glass to the flame and it crackled and popped and she laughed and seemed to enjoy it...I think it was then that I started to loosen up about the fire and glass.
I watched your videos a while ago Ross and couldn't believe you did it while on a skateboard..crazy!

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2007-05-19, 6:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamemoth View Post
I watched your videos a while ago Ross and couldn't believe you did it while on a skateboard..crazy!
Well, I wasn't on a skateboard, the camera was. Originally I had the camera taped to a microphone stand and the stand was sitting on the skateboard so I could roll it back and forth. I have since given that up but it was fun for a while.

~Ross
Old 2007-05-20, 7:05am
all for the love of glass

That does make more sense! I just thought you enjoyed a challenge..

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2007-05-20, 7:23am

sweet
Old 2007-05-20, 8:08am

Ross,
I can't compare to yours in more time than 10 minutes. Other than the basic spacers I don't do much start to finish in that amount of time. I know it, so I haven't tried.
Old 2007-05-30, 5:02pm

Hi, I haven't read all the posts here, I supposed to be cooking (!) but for a great tutorial on how to make a base bead I love this one:
http://bearfootart.com/pages/VideoClips.php
If that link doesn't work just go to barefoot bob. There is a bunch of videos, quick and dirty and gave me lots of Ah-Ha moments that I could take back to the torch and use!
I don't mean to high-jack the tie-dye bead tut., but someone mentioned that this video was sloppy on making the base bead.
FWIW,
Angela
Old 2007-05-30, 5:59pm

Re-Hi, Just wanted to say I got to watch the Tie-Dye Video (while eating dinner) and loved it.
I think it makes bead making look like fun and not so much work! And yes I was surprised to see a bead made in less than 10 minutes. Something I need to shoot for. LOL!

Cool. Thanks for the heads up on this!
Angela
Old 2007-05-30, 6:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMI View Post
Ross, please, please do NOT stop. I am somewhat new to this and find that lampworking classes are very expensive. With this medium you must learn by watching and the dang videos I've rented are just too long and boring!! Sometimes I appreciate having a quick lesson. Most people who watch your videos are going to already know the basics, don't bore them. Just give an idea of how to make a certain kind of bead, steps, colors etc. We can figure out the rest.
Thank you so much for the work you did. I'll be looking for more.
Ditto on exactly what she said. The video I rented wasalso boring. It does get tedious watching someone melt a bead for a long time. And no I can't afford a weekend class for $350.00 a pop. Besides I'm sure I need more than one class anyway, LOL! So we are talking lots of $$$$$$!
These u-Tube Videos your doing are great.
Angela
Old 2007-05-30, 7:30pm

I wouldn't consider myself a beginner anymore (though some may think so judging by my beads) but I am totally self taught. And I would rather have a video than a book (no matter how detailed the pictures). I love to see how other people make their beads.
I for one will definately be trying the tie-dye bead and this is the first time I've seen silver stringer done this way. Very interesting.

My day job is acrylic nails. Been doing it for almost 20 years. Can I learn something from a nail tech that's only been doing it for say 2 years? You bet.
We have a saying in the beauty world, "Green is growing." My goal in life, no matter what I endeavor, is to be growing. That's what this forum is all about, helping each other learn new skills in lampworking or make it easier. You don't know you're doing something the extremely slow way if no one teaches you a better way of doing it.

I watched several of Ross' videos, and found something very useful in each one. I've got them bookmarkeed so I can try them out this weekend.

Thank you Ross for taking the time to make these videos. I hope you will continue to make them. I don't expect them to be perfect or the bead to be perfect, but I hope to learn something new with each one.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2020-04-29, 6:11pm
Tassie Devil

Default Tie Dye Beads

Thank you Ross for this video that you made a long long time ago! I saw it back then and then forgot where I saw it. It is lovely to see it again and I will have another go at this very cool, fun technique. Love the spontaneity of your method, and of course, these are my favourite colours. It is so great that you generously shared your method with us.

Today, right now, is a gift - that's why they call it the present!

Old 2020-08-21, 9:41am

Thanks for sharing
Old 2022-03-16, 10:06pm

Great tutorial!