Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-08-15, 6:59am
Following my Dream

Default New Tool

I was in Home Depot this weekend and I found a new tool. In the paint dept. they have a Can opener for the Paint cans for less then 2.00. It's made of SS and has a nice flat back to it, as well as a little hook like end, that is good for pushing the glass around. It may not be for everyone, but so far, so good. If nothing else buy DH a can of paint and give tool to him....lol
Margie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-08-15, 7:51am
Weskone

it sounds interesting..can you show a picture of it
Old 2006-08-15, 9:44am
Following my Dream

Default pics of tools

these are bad photos but my camera battery was almost dead.
Also here is SS tongs I bought at CVS pharmacy for $1.99

My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...
Old 2006-08-15, 9:52pm

You are getting as bad as I am. Every time I go into a place I have to check out any thing that could be used for tools. Thanks for the ideas.

Rose Leslie
Old 2006-08-16, 6:01am
Following my Dream

Oh I look everywhere. It's good excersise,up and down the isles. It doesn't matter if it is the dollar store or the pharmacy, I'm always on a hunt for the next perfect tool, or anything I can use in my "studio" space.

Old 2006-08-18, 10:23am
You can call me Slater

Very good idea. What a great find!!!
Old 2006-08-18, 9:17pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

Hehehe. I am the same way. DH just shakes his head and smiles at me. We were at Crate and Barrel and I bought some mini tongs in there - stainless steel and they were like 5 bucks a pair. One was round with the center round section cut out and the other was nice for making small tabs.

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2006-09-02, 8:51pm
Everybody Needs Beads!

ok, here's one for ya! Speaking of having teenagers and new tools...if you've got a teenage GIRL, and they are anything like mine, I'm sure you've gone through your fair share of hair crimpers and curling irons. Well just the other day I was cleaning out a closet and found some interchangable pieces for a crimper/straightener my daughter used to have. The wand part is long gone, but for some reason I saved the pieces that went to it. I was about to throw them out when a light bulb went off! They can be used as marvers. They are about the same size as the "holy roller". There are three or four of them, two pieces for each pattern. They make for some pretty interesting roller tools. And would probably work well as mashers, but I gave half of each set to a friend to try. We both love them. Now I'm going to have to go looking at the NEW crimpers to see what else is out on the market!
I'll try to post pics after the weekend when the in-laws leave!

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2006-09-04, 12:37pm

Humm....you could probably get crimpers real cheap at garage sales too!

I think I threw some out way back before I started making beads. I had left the darn thing plugged in and it melted the whole thing. So I had the replacements but eventually threw them out.

Old 2006-09-06, 5:30pm
Following my Dream

I can't wait to see what the crimpers do...Post those pics..lol

Old 2007-02-27, 8:40pm
A Beadin' Path

Cool...for once I actualy have something I don't have to pay for...a paint can opener.
BTW.........>>>>> you can get them FREE at THD or Lowe's but you didn't hear it from moi.

DANIELLE

"WORRY looks around, SORRY looks back, FAITH looks up."
Old 2007-02-28, 12:56pm
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

Me thinks me smells a trip to the hardware store this evening!!!! hehehe

I've done the same thing at Home Depot. I have even found copper wire to use for chain links and wire wrapping.
Old 2007-03-01, 11:03pm
as in the state

I always spy around HD or Lowes looking for stuff I can use for my beads. Copper tubing, wire, mesh, various patina chemicals. Then, of course, while I"m there I pick up ideas on what I can do with my bathroom at home...how to redecorate the living room....yeah, it's bad.

-Amy
Old 2007-03-05, 6:09pm
Just Getting Started

I always look for tools--I bought two stainless steel spatulas at the Dollar Tree, and I use them to "pat down" beads. Ditto for an ice cream scoop--just right for holding frit, and a stainless steel fork makes a great marver.

I made a rod rest by combining two huge bolts and a wing nut together.

I also bought a brass dapping block and a set of punches for about $18 on eBay, and the dapping block, used for forming sterling beads, is great for 1) forming beads and 2) holding small quantities of frit or mica powder. And I suspect the punches might come in handy when my partner gets into the scuptural work she has been itching to start!
Old 2007-03-20, 6:02pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyCherie View Post
Hehehe. I am the same way. DH just shakes his head and smiles at me. We were at Crate and Barrel and I bought some mini tongs in there - stainless steel and they were like 5 bucks a pair. One was round with the center round section cut out and the other was nice for making small tabs.
mine does the same thing, then mumbles something about "globs of glass"

but then he comes home from HD, Lowe's, etc w/misc possible toolage sometimes too!!!

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2008-11-14, 9:24am
Never give up

Default tongs

I found these at walmart. They are suppose to be ice tongs. Looks like bead tongs to me. Now if I can figure out how to make them work. I think I am pressing to hard.
Maybe I shouldn't press. Next I am going to try just setting them in there.
Any idea's???
In the photo you also see my new armrests. My son made them for me. I love them and they are adjustable. What a smart kid.
Old 2008-11-14, 10:01am

Your armrests are cool! Very good idea.

Beth
Old 2008-11-14, 1:33pm

I found these too and thought they were the next best thing to chocolate! I think I need to bend them a bit to get them to line up properly, but I'm not sure how to do that.

For those of you who make gadgets into bead presses etc - please explain to me which side to bend in which direction. And, they are very sturdy, any ideas on what to use to bend them with that wouldn't leave lots of dings in them. They just aren't hand malleable.

Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady View Post
I found these at walmart. They are suppose to be ice tongs. Looks like bead tongs to me. Now if I can figure out how to make them work. I think I am pressing to hard.
Any idea's???
In the photo you also see my new armrests. My son made them for me. I love them and they are adjustable. What a smart kid.

Old 2008-11-18, 4:18pm
CatTickler Extraordinaire

Ideas for tools on the cheap... my kind of thread! Not that I have done any glass melting yet, but using tools from one "craft" (Hardware store) to another is awesome. Anyone ever try stainless steel crochet hooks for pulling the glass around. The itty-bitty hooked thread ones? Paint key is the "official" name. I never knew I had to unlock my paint cans! ;p
Old 2008-11-20, 9:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCrow View Post
I was in Home Depot this weekend and I found a new tool. In the paint dept. they have a Can opener for the Paint cans for less then 2.00. It's made of SS and has a nice flat back to it, as well as a little hook like end, that is good for pushing the glass around. It may not be for everyone, but so far, so good. If nothing else buy DH a can of paint and give tool to him....lol
Margie

LOL well now that you put it that way...ok I have to admit...ME TOO! but you didn't have to just come out and SAY IT! did you? I like being in denial ))))

Beads galore at my ebay store!

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!

Last edited by !ngridh; 2008-11-20 at 9:01pm. Reason: typo
Old 2008-11-21, 1:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCrow View Post
Margie
I just had to check this out my hubby is a commercial painter and I have seen this laying around in his things thanks for the tip
Old 2008-12-31, 7:22am
Never give up

Default Other great tool

My husband just gave me another great tool. It's a pick and
hook set made by Stanley. He said he got it from Walmart in the tools department, and they didn't cost much. YEAH! They come in packs of four,small and perfect for my flowers.They look like dentental tools.
I guess it's suppose to be use for electrical wire stuff. Wish I had
batteries for my camera would be easier to show you. Hope
you like them as much as I do.
Old 2009-01-02, 10:23am

Princess Auto has great sets of picks I guess different shapes, some with little scoops, different points. I think they were $3.00 for the sets. Each set has 6 double ended tools. Love them.
I also found some interesting items in the fishing stores around here. They tie their own flies for fly fishing and yep they got some neat tools too.
Karen

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint you can on it!!!

Old 2009-01-03, 8:18pm
Fact. Bears eat beets.

Quote:
My husband just gave me another great tool. It's a pick and
hook set made by Stanley. He said he got it from Walmart in the tools department, and they didn't cost much. YEAH! They come in packs of four,small and perfect for my flowers.They look like dentental tools.
I guess it's suppose to be use for electrical wire stuff. Wish I had
batteries for my camera would be easier to show you. Hope
you like them as much as I do.
you want to make sure they are NOT plated otherwise a big hot sticky mess.

Old 2009-01-05, 2:45pm
vepaints

Default tools

I love to go to Harbor Frieght, they have lots of tools, I found a smasher in the welding dept. and heavy pliers too. cheap cheap

Old 2009-01-05, 3:05pm
Sharon

Quote:
Any idea's???
hey i have those same tongs!

my spouse bent the ends just a tad so they come together more "flat" and not closer at one end than the other
Old 2009-01-05, 5:08pm
Never give up

Yeah I love those tongs. I am starting to make really good looking beads with them. I found out if you lay the glass in and go from side to side towards your mandrel , then from front to back away from the mandrel you can get a nicely shaped bead. I did have to have my son bend them just a little.
Old 2009-01-07, 1:17pm
Formerly FishBulb

Cakelady, your son could probably make money by creating customized armrests on here. Those look like a great idea!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-01-07, 7:39pm
Never give up

Wow thats funny, I told him the same thing. He just laughed. He says I have to say that because Iam his mom. He is so funny, can't wait to show him your post. Thanks.
Old 2009-01-11, 8:29am
Senior Moment

Quote:
Any idea's???
What a clever son you have! He could make a fortune selling those arm rests.