LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-11-25, 9:44am

Hi Bindy,
Well, I am VERY late to this post, but could you send me a copy of the cab tutorial? I would really appreciate it. Thanks. Happy Holidays.
Jane
Old 2009-08-01, 6:51pm
old person/new member

not nearly as late as I am. Years since this was posted but I just did a search to see if I could find any hints on how to make cabachons off mandrel. If anyone can help I'd sure appreciate it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-08-11, 2:30pm

LOL, I just found this and will get you a copy when I get home. Hey better late than never!! lol

Old 2009-08-15, 7:34am

Could you send me a copy also please? Thank You!!

Old 2009-08-15, 9:12am
Lover of Life

LOL, me too please! Wow Bindy, you could almost make a business out of this!

Thanks so much!
Becky

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2009-08-16, 8:05am
Covergirlbeads

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Beader View Post
OK I must be doing something wrong because I am trying to download the pics here of the tutorial and it keeps saying that it is too big. Then I keep making it smaller and it is now blurry!!

So if you want the tutorial please PM me and I will email it to you all. I have it saved and scanned in my computer now. Sorry for the delay.
Bindy
I would love a copy of the cabachon tut. Thanks for being so generous with your time!

Charlotte

Old 2009-08-16, 8:58am
old person/new member

Hahaha....some things just get revisited!!! I'm really looking forward to that tut!!!

Thanks so much.

Old 2009-08-16, 10:06am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

I know that there is a cab mandrel available somewhere. Rod, flat disk with an itty bitty pokey metal thing in the centre, to make sure your glass does not drop off the flat bead-released area. I have never used it.

What I have done a lot, was to make a bead, and just clean the hole really good, and then into the kiln at slumping temperature. I have used both disks and lentil shaped beads to slump. Lemme find some pics:
Dora Schubert inspired cabs (straight sided lentil bead):

Glass rings with slumped cabs. These were all beads with a hole in the centre.

Old 2009-08-16, 10:33am
old person/new member

Diana
Are those GORGEOUS cabs 104 coe? If so what temp did you slump at for how long? I've never used my kiln for anything but annealling- I know it goes up to about 1700F. Would you say 1400F ??? I have no clue how long it takes....

Old 2009-08-16, 10:52am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Cathy, I slumped it at 700 Celcius. And just checked throught the bead door. did not take to long, about 20 minutes at 700 did the trick. And yes, it is 104.

Old 2009-08-16, 11:54am

Hi Bindy,
I would also love a copy of the tutorial. Making cabochons out of my wonky and broken beads is on my list of things to do. A tutorial just might help me actually do it.
Thanks,
Jan

What a long, strange trip it's been!!!

One half of
. Mega-Minor/Bethlehem Betta, propane and an M-15 oxycon.
is open
Old 2009-08-17, 9:03am
old person/new member

Great- I will have a go at that. One more question- I cannot find my kiln wash but I have a 6 inch square of fibre blanket- can I put my cabs on that to fire?

Old 2009-08-17, 3:00pm
Formerly Deesigned Beads

No, not gonna work. Rather paint a bit of your floor with beadrelease, if you cannot find your kiln wash. You should be able to remove it afterwards.

Old 2009-08-17, 5:28pm
BeadsonCypress

Although I asked many questions and got lots of answers here on LE I have developed my own recipe for slumping 104 glass. I have slumped my beads (both full and split beads) into cabs on the fiber board (a little rough but a grinder takes care of that in 5 seconds) or fusing paper that I cut the size of the floor of the kiln I ramp up to 1300 over say 2 hours and peek to see how flat they are, turn off the kiln and walk away...next morning, viola.....cabs!
ps. if they are "glowing" they are almost ready to slump!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator

Last edited by beadsoncypress; 2009-08-17 at 5:30pm. Reason: clarifying
Old 2009-08-17, 9:51pm

I sent the copy of the cab tut to all those who PM'd me their email address. If you haven't gotten the copy from me please send me your email address and I can get it to you right away. I found the magazine and scanned it. It was done by Stacylynn and I back in 2004.

Old 2009-08-17, 11:48pm

Bindy would you please send me a copy please?
claybraes@paradise.net.nz
thanks so much )

Old 2009-08-18, 7:27am
old person/new member

I tried the cabs yesterday! 1292 F (700C) for 20 minutes...I ended up having to leave them for about 40 minutes and they still aren't quite flat enough. I imagine my kiln may not retain heat as reliably as other kilns. I have two front opening bead doors that don't seal completely (bluebird).

So I figure I'll up the temp a bit and watch them periodically.
I used the fibre blanket stuff - its quite ridgid and flat- so we will see how that worked- I hope I haven't F#%&& it up too much.

Thank you all for your help. I was scared to trymessing with my kiln-- now I'm not!