Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-28, 11:04am

Question Wild colors? Coe's? And do all intense colors work the same? Whew!

Okay what colors are the most wild and interactive (example: webbing, color changing, and surprises that you didn't count on?)

Do all 104 coe's work together? vetrofond, morreti, etc

Do all colors that are listed as intense all work like intense black (with the lacing/webbing?)

Leigh
Old 2006-12-28, 12:51pm
Missing presumed fed

Vetrofond and Effetre/Moretti play nicely together pretty much across the board. With Lauscha you get some problems because the viscosity of the glass tends to be different although the COE of the glass is generally the same as Vetro & Effetre/Moretti.

The ASK glass (Arrow Springs Kugler) is still a brand new product, and they're working out some kinks with some of the colors. If you're interested in working with ASK glass, I'd read through the threads on ASK. There have been some problems with the ASK clear, and I don't know whether or not those are solved yet. I know they've been working on them. People here have reported some cracking with the silver cinnamon (I think), but you'll want to check the thread to be sure.

I haven't played with my CIM (Messy) glass, so I can't comment on it for you.

I haven't had any compatibility issues with the Double Helix glass, but I've used it only as stringer or thin encasing, and you wouldn't normally get any incompatibility issues when you use a glass that's a similar COE in such a small quantity. I've done only a tiny bit of playing with the R4 glass (Picasso & Monet), but the same would be true with that. To my mind, the high silver content glasses are just too expensive to make entire beads from, so you have to use them in the same small quantities that you'd use a 96 COE stringer or frit (with the exception that I'm never quite comfortable encasing 96 COE frit, and I do feel comfortable encasing Double Helix).

Intense black is a law unto itself. I wouldn't assume that any other glass acts like intense black. There's been some speculation that they mix enamels or something into intense black to keep it from going transparent, but nobody's revealing the secret. Anything else that's called "intense" just means that it's a particularly dark batch, really. (Is there any other color that's officially called "intense"?)
Old 2006-12-28, 2:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Vetrofond and Effetre/Moretti play nicely together pretty much across the board. With Lauscha you get some problems because the viscosity of the glass tends to be different although the COE of the glass is generally the same as Vetro & Effetre/Moretti.
Thanks for all the input. I think those would be the standard that I would probably stick with for awhile. I just saw some of the Vetro on sale and thought it would be great to add to what I have in the Moretti. I haven't tried any of the others yet and don't know when I will have the funds to do so. But, the Helix sounds interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Intense black is a law unto itself. I wouldn't assume that any other glass acts like intense black. There's been some speculation that they mix enamels or something into intense black to keep it from going transparent, but nobody's revealing the secret. Anything else that's called "intense" just means that it's a particularly dark batch, really. (Is there any other color that's officially called "intense"?)
Doesn't it though! It would be fun to find out how to make some of the other colors do the same thing. I noticed somewhere that intense black was mixed with another color and wonder if you would still get some of the webbing effect. I am currently in the process of ordering some as I have only had the pleasure of playing with what I have from an assortment lot that I purchased. Of course no intense black.

I think I saw somewhere an intense blue but, that was the only other color that I have seen. hmmmmm don't know of any others.

I am also curious in some of the other colors that react with heat and what not. I am thinking I saw that someone said that some of the blues do? I have one that changes to a reddish color. A light blue I think but, haven't noticed any of the others doing it. I think that there are others - maybe like a silver ivory, copper green, etc. I am just curious to know what colors that I can get to play with that will react like this as I am new and haven't learned about them. I did indeed get to experience one of the striking colors though. And boy was I glad that I had read about it first as that rod wasn't marked. I think it was a trans red. What fun that was. LOL

I guess I am just wanting to soak up all the info I can. And of course I love getting surprises while making beads. Thanks so much for your in depth reply. I helped me with a greater understanding of the 104 compatability. Leigh

Last edited by uniqueleigh; 2006-12-28 at 2:42pm. Reason: Correcting spelling errors.
Old 2007-01-01, 9:03am
Dances With Fire

intense blue is a beautiful blue!!! I think it is one of my fav colors now!

crystal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-01-01, 12:16pm
Always with a smile!

Corina has a book on reactions you might want to get ahold of to look at. Hope I'm not opening a can of worms here. it's very interesting to see and alot of the reactions depends on your torch--reducing or oxidizing atmosphere, heat,humidity, etc. you'll just have to play alot--- that's half the fun! if you over reduce a piece you can generally ( at least on my torch) take it back to an oxygen rich flame and get rid of some of what you've done.
have fun
Jill

) and
)