Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2010-06-28, 9:20am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Default Bead bags galore

Last Saturday the Florida Glass dragons met and sewed 54 of the large bead bags for BOC. We are making arrangements now to deliver them to Florida Hospital in Orlando, which is the hospital our guild sponsors for BOC.

We had lots of fun fabrics including, pigs riding motorcycles, cats, turtles, native american feathers, chili peppers,flying zebra angels, and tropical fish. Being a quilter, and having made quilts for the hospital for years, I raided my fabric stash and donated that to the cause. I tried to pick things that would fit boys and girls and a wide range of ages.

The Gang started to work right after our lunch break and finished the last bag at about 7PM, we were whooped puppies, but all had a great time as we worked. You could hear laughter and chatter all day through out the house as nimble fingers flew. The non sewers helped with pressing and turning fabric and threading the draw strings.

Thanks to all the folks that helped with the work, and I will toss out a challenge to other bead groups to have a bead bag work day too...

Susan, the pres of the guild will post a picture in this thread, since I am picture resizing challenged.

dig out your machines gals... I double dog dare ya...

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."

Last edited by patienthand; 2010-06-29 at 5:26am.
Old 2010-06-28, 9:31am
Susan

Here is a picture we took at the end of the day, I am only sorry that Jan Tunnell had to head out before we took this pic! We had a great time!
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-28, 9:43am

Sorry I missed it. I bet it was a lot of fun!!
Terri

Old 2010-06-28, 8:26pm
Texas Art Angel

You guys rock!!!
Old 2010-06-28, 11:30pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Oh I bet you all had a great time!!! Thanks so much for the pic!

Sara

Old 2010-06-30, 4:42am
Detail G-Mama!

Once we get Cam to college, I'm turning his room into my sewing/craft room so I can start sewing again!! Wheeee!!! I've got the pattern for these, just got to get set up again! LOL!

Old 2010-07-01, 3:19am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Anne,

Sadly I am loosing my sewing room. We are preparing to take in a family member, and I am loosing my room.. whaaaaaaaaa.

But the bags go fairly quick in an assembly line fashion and are not difficult to make at all. We found the hardest part was threading the cords for the draw strings. But its also a great sitting and watching TV sort of chore.

Yay to a kid off to college and a play room Anne

Candice

Old 2010-07-02, 5:00am

Default ez method to thread ties

have you attached a safety pin to one end before feeding it through the opening?
Old 2010-07-02, 5:33am

Wow! The you guys outdid yourself, love the cool fabrics. Sorry to have missed it.
I have a tool that looks similar to a big long crochet hook with a loop on the end.
Used for turning small seams right side out, wonder if it would work?
MarieAnn
Old 2010-07-02, 10:05am
Curmudgeon Engineering

When I do bags like that I use a 6" piece of wire with a 'sheep hook' in one end. Think Little Bow Peep
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tie a knot in the cord, grab it with the 'hook' and thread it thru... simple and easy. A 1/16" mandrel works but is a little stiff; I normally just use house wiring wire.
PJH
Old 2010-07-03, 2:13pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I had a long wire with a latch hook on thr end made for pulling cords and turning tiny tubes that helped a lot. Some also used a safetylin since we had multiple folks threading them at the end. The wire gizmo is the ay to go for sure.

Candice

Old 2010-07-07, 7:03pm
And silence is golden

You ladies ROCK!