Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-29, 10:11pm
In spite of it all!

Default How Did She Do That Part 2!

Yup, another one of those dumb questions that I always seem to have out of the blue. I see that one of my favorite bead glass artists (Andrea Guarino) makes off mandrel beads... like this heart. Bead What I want to know is not the colors or any of that proprietary stuff.... but how the heck does she get that ever so nice hole in the bead without mashing the crap out of it! It took me 10 minutes today to make a hole in an off mandrel bead and it was not pretty... lemme tell ya! So, if anyone can give this old bird a clue or 2 or 3 that would be wonderful.. and I would be completely and totally grateful for the info. Enough so that I would send a cool surprise to the first one to post a set of clear directions and what tool(s) to use to make that hole in an off mandrel bead. Heck I already have a box half filled with goodies to send out this weekend! A bribe you say? Ya, maybe... but clear written instructions should recieve something for the hard work I always say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-29, 10:24pm
Looking for my waistline

A pair of Peters Tweezers would help immensely! Just use to pinch the glass open. Wiggle the tweezers a little to get the hole started, then finish shaping it and opening it with a tungsten pick.
9th item down on the page:
http://heritageglass.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=4
Old 2006-12-29, 11:36pm
In spite of it all!

Excellent! Thanks Chuckie! PM me your mailing address.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2006-12-30, 10:31am

You can also pull out your dremmel and diamond drill bits and drill a hole after the bead is annealed and cooled.

Pam

Old 2006-12-30, 11:23pm

I know you've already got some responses, but here's my suggestion/instructions using a tungsten pick:
Make sure you glass is good and hot, but not glowing.
Hold it close to, but not in the flame.
Take your tungsten pick and hold it directly in the flame. The flame should be close to but not on the point, which is going to go through the glass.
Place the point of the pick at the location you want the hole.
The pick will get red hot (hooray!) and as you gently but firmly push, the pick will start to push its way thought the glass and will come out the other side. (hooray, again!)
Make sure you keep the pick directly in the flame so it's as hot as you can get it.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Last edited by Renee; 2006-12-30 at 11:26pm.