LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-14, 3:57pm

Default the very best frit holder

Is an inverted shot glass. stands up off your surface and the bottom is concave...ok might not work for really big beads but cheap and easy ...
I always put mine on a small ceramic tray to catch whatever spills over

Beads galore at my ebay store!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2008-12-15, 9:27pm
I practice alchemy!

I brought shot glasses home from my coffee shop. The ones in my kitchen are blown glass and have these deep open bubbles in the bottom that just wouldn't work. I'll give that a try; that should solve the being startled issue. How will they work with the resident cat roaming around and "assisting" (she has the most amazing frizzled whiskers...)?

Celeste
Old 2008-12-16, 8:16am
Lampworkaholic!

I use a round stainless steel measuring spoon set with longish handles, from the Container Store. You can easily bring the frit up to the bead and you can use the spoon size that best works for the bead. It also lets you get your frit around the bead, close to the mandrel, and the smallest size is great for that last smidge of a color.
Old 2008-12-16, 8:22am

My favorite frit holders are glass weighing dishes AKA watch glasses. They pyrex so they don't stick or shatter when touched with a hot bead.
Jane
Old 2008-12-16, 9:00am
ManBearPig

I use a stainless steel gravy boat. Of course, I need to be able to put 2" marbles in it, so it may be too big for most people's use...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-16, 10:20am

I bet I have spent the better part of 6 months looking for the miniture gravy boats. Still haven't found any in those dollar places.
Old 2008-12-16, 11:06am

Smile

My absolute favorite is old glass furniture coasters! I find lots easily on Ebay. Sometimes you find some in resale shops or garage sales, but rarealy. Here is a link to just how many can be listing at any given time on Ebay... If the price gets too high, wait around, another lot will go up for sale!

The gravy boat is good for those large marbles, as can be the ice cream stainless steel containers I've seen around.

The reason I favor the furniture coasters is they are deep (maybe not enough for large marbles, though), tempered glass and heavy and just the fact that they are "old" gives them a cool karma.

They don't tip over like when I use saki or some other containers. I do medium size figurative work, so having a wide mouth container like this works better then too tight, yet not so large I can't keep a nice variety of colors out on my table at a given time. Check them out, they're great!

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories Key words when searching are "glass furniture coaster"

Ofilia

Last edited by Ofilia; 2008-12-16 at 11:16am.
Old 2008-12-16, 1:29pm
Lover of Life

Wow, Ofilia, those look ideal! I have a new frit holder I made in welding shop with some scraps. One thing's for sure, it doesn't move about!

Becky

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2008-12-18, 8:50pm

I use a bead tray that I bought at a bead store it is shaped like a triangle and is metal. What it is really supposed to be used for is to hold seed beads when your beading and the pointed ends are tapered so you can pour the seed beads back into the bead tubes makes cleaning up seed beads easy. I though I would try it with frit because it is almost the size of the seed beads I can pour it easily back into my frit containers. I love the idea of cutting a metal tube and making the one that has the 3 spaces for frit. I have shown it to my husband and requested that he make me one.
take care,
Sandra
Old 2008-12-19, 5:52pm

I use stainless steel chinese soup spoons. Large enough and deep enugh for most with a handle to hold them up to the torch. Easy to pour the frit back into bag or jar too!

Don't leave frit in them at the end of the session though if you have cats.
The spoon handle acts as a frit-a-pult when stepped on by a frantic cat being chased by the dog and trying to escape out the open window above my torch.
Old 2008-12-26, 5:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I bet I have spent the better part of 6 months looking for the miniture gravy boats. Still haven't found any in those dollar places.
I got mine from here for only $5.97. They have 6 of them in each package. http://www.amazon.com/Steeltek-Stain...syf_dtl_txt_12

Hope that helps.
Old 2008-12-27, 1:27pm

At the Craft Guild of Dallas some of the "clay folks" made us some that look a little like the end of a spoon rest only flatter. Has a lip that bends down and some even have a little V on the other side for the end of the mandrel.

If you know anyone who does pottery, bet they could make you some - and they look nice, too.
Old 2008-12-27, 2:20pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Old 2008-12-28, 12:30pm

I found where you could get the triangles that I use as frit trays. I bought one at a bead store for .99 cents. They are around $5.00 for 12 of them at firemountain. I am going to buy some more of the trays for myself later.
http://www.firemountaingems.com/deta...p?PN=H201012BS
take care,
Sandra