Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-02-17, 4:21am

Question Looking for blue color like this

Hello, i am going to make replicas of some ancient beads. The biggest problem is matching the colors. Most of archeological finds of blue beads has very beautiful blue color, but when i try to match blues from different manufacturers, it is always something in between of two colors.. and of course, not all palettes of available colors are wisely presented, so i am in a big risk of choosing not the right blue for my work. Maybe someone can give an advise? I add two photos (1 and 2) of one blue, which i need; and the third photo is a different blue. Not much of the color can be seen, sorry, this is very old bead, and not the best photographer (me), the bead is a bit dirty too, but i guess you are able to see this gorgeous color The new colors can be a little brighter than those in my photos, because those now appear darker than they might have been one thousand year ago
Any advise would be a big help.

Old 2016-02-17, 6:37am
FatCat Mama

My first thought to get the right shade of blue is to use an enamel over clear. A quick google and I found this at Rio Grande: https://www.riogrande.com/Product/th...an-blue/119667 for the first bead. The second looks like medium (or even dark) aqua transparent.

I've been out of the loop for a couple of years, so there very well may be a blue glass I don't know about. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2016-02-17, 7:29am

that is a copper blue

have you looked at electric avenue a cim color?
and transparent dark aqua blue
Old 2016-02-17, 8:15pm
I like to melt things

I would go with Effetre Intense Blue, and dilute it with clear a little bit or a lot, depending on the exact shade you want.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=effet...HSrABOMQsAQIGg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Old 2016-02-17, 11:40pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I'd love to chat with you about making replicas. I do medieval reenactment and make replica beads too. Please find me on Facebook and send me a message.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2016-02-18, 5:48pm

Thank you so much for replies!
Teri.p , i am afraid i am still too unprofessional for enamels.. but the color looks very attractive
yellowbird, yes, images of "copper blue" on google looks exactly what i want electric avenue is not transparent color.. Now those old beads have very uneven surface, but still they should be considered as transparent, or, i should say, they WERE transparent before.
MelanieG, by diluting, you mean making transparent bead and then adding this intense blue on top?
Lyssa, i am so glad there are people here who make replicas i wrote to you on facebook (i hope that was you, not sure yet ).

For second bead i will have to try dark aqua and see how it will look.
Old 2016-02-18, 6:16pm

did you look at the dark aqua ? it is transparent

you could mix clear and blue avenue
which is what I think Melanie means by diluting.
if you take a rod of clear and 1/2 a rod of blue avenue you might get what you want
Old 2016-02-18, 9:19pm
I like to melt things

Yes, I mean 'mix together until blended' by 'diluted'.

-
-
Old 2016-04-06, 10:55am

While searching for the blue color, i found some examples of what i think could be almost the colour i want. It's CIM Pulsar:
http://creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=51
the only problem with this and other aqua colours is that all of them looks too bright. The only two examples of really rich, saturated, and dark blue i found is Cim Leaky pen or Effetre Mosaic blue: http://melanie-graham.blogspot.lt/20...saic-blue.html
Mosaic blue would be perfect, but i think the character of the colour is completely different from what i am looking for.. Is there any dark transparent aqua/turquoise color, with a saturation/densiness like in Mosaic blue?
Old 2016-04-06, 4:25pm
Loving learning

If you find one that is a good match except that it is too dark, you might also try it over a clear core instead of alone.
Old 2016-04-06, 5:12pm

Eileen, yes, there would be no problem if it is too dark. I doubt it could be too dark for me, because the bead i am trying to match is dark enough, or maybe i should say, it is more dense than dark. Two upper photos in my first message. There is a bright flashlight next to the bead, illuminating it. Without flashlight it looks darker, but still intense turquoise blue. I am afraid that this colour will drive me crazy
Old 2016-04-06, 5:24pm
Loving learning

I have heard that Devardi can be a challenge to work with, must preheat, etc. to avoid shocking, but maybe one of their blues is close?
http://www.devardiglass.com/chart.html
and the rods:
http://www.devardiglass.com/glass.htm
Old 2016-04-06, 6:29pm

May be look in stained glass, some imitate antique colors. They are pretty but not crispy clear.
Old 2016-04-06, 8:16pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Don't leave out that those ancient beads have a tumbled (etched) surface from age. That can change the way a color looks. So what looks too bright when it's shiny and new, may not be if you etch it.

Tags
ancient, archeology, blue color, replica