LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-08-30, 6:36am

Default Bending long bead tutorial?

I have searched high and low on the internet on how to bend beads. I purchased a long marquis mold from Cattwalk and want to bend like Rocio does with her bracelets. I know they have a book and supplies and I am trying to save a little right now. If it is a big secret, I will gladly buy the book. I don't want anyone mad about me being frugal!

I would rather not use a curved mandrel. I haven't seen any presses that work with my ideas.

Thanks guys!

Kitty
Old 2007-08-30, 7:14am
Boheme Flamework Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
I have searched high and low on the internet on how to bend beads. I purchased a long marquis mold from Cattwalk and want to bend like Rocio does with her bracelets. I know they have a book and supplies and I am trying to save a little right now. If it is a big secret, I will gladly buy the book. I don't want anyone mad about me being frugal!

I would rather not use a curved mandrel. I haven't seen any presses that work with my ideas.

Thanks guys!

Kitty
Hi Kitty,

I bought a kit from Carol Theil at the Gathering. It contains some fiberglass cord. You basically slip the cord down over the mandrel - cover it with bead release - allow to dry. Make your bead as long as you would like it. Push the mandrell through the beads while it is still hot. Now your bead is on the cord. Reheat and bend it around a coffee can or large soup can. - ta dah large curved bead. And it's easy to get the cord out of the bead. Also if you are using transparent glass as your base - the pattern of the cord can be used to enhance the look of your bead. I can't remember which magazine it was published in but there is an article. And Carol makes beautiful beads.

Not sure if that is what you're looking for but I haven't seen any curved mandrels to fit the large marquis for a curved bead.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Deb Cline
Old 2007-08-30, 8:25am

Hey Deb,

I will pm you! Thanks so much.
Old 2007-08-30, 12:38pm
Butterfly Rancher

The article is in Lapidary Journal - December 2006.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2007-08-30, 4:55pm

I think it's Leslie Thiel (will make searching easier). Jeri
Old 2007-08-31, 6:10am

Hi-

thank you for your replies. I cannot find anything under those names. I am going to go right now and purchase Rocio's book. I am sure I will love it. Her glass is so beautiful.

Have a nice weekend.
Old 2007-08-31, 4:24pm
Knob Creek Glass

Jeff Barber does, and taught, a curved bead in his class at the Gathering. It is different, smaller, than Leslie's.
Old 2007-08-31, 6:33pm
Bead Imp

Tom Holland makes bending beads look so easy! There was a discussion about it in the Large/long bead exchange. Barb Wolf (Opportunity-Shop) showed a pic of one she did in post #705 and a how to in post #707. PM her, I'm sure she'd be glad to help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-09-02, 3:13pm

I can recommend Rocio's method. You can use it with all sorts of shapes, and it makes lovely flat curved beads. I use it with the long emerald, I'm thinking of getting a marquis too.

Old 2007-09-10, 7:41am
Anyone need some spacers?

Does anyone know where you get the fireproof cord??? I read most of that thread and I don't think anyone said.

Old 2007-09-11, 10:48am

Fiberglass sleeving:
http://www.omega.com/ppt/FindPN.html...&searchbyp=yes

Old 2007-09-11, 10:59am

XC-116-25 $37.50 25 feet, 1/16 inch, Nextel 312 insulation, 1200°C (2200°F) continuous temperature rating

This is something you can use over and over am I right? If so I would need to sell off some of it.

Tracy

Old 2007-09-11, 12:52pm

I've offered to share the cost/product. Maybe another one or two or three people. . . whatever Tracy would be willing to do? That 25 feet - sharing even with a few would allow everyone plenty. From what I've read, it seems that the technique using this would be fairly user friendly. Thanks, Tracy.
Old 2007-09-12, 10:32am

I did order some of this string and its already on its way.I am willing to share some of the 25 feet so if you want some let me know.

Old 2007-10-03, 2:19am

Tracy,

I'd like to buy a piece to try if you haven't already promised it all already.

Nancy

piranha/1 concentrator
Old 2007-10-03, 4:55am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bead_bug View Post
I did order some of this string and its already on its way.I am willing to share some of the 25 feet so if you want some let me know.

Hi Tracy,

I forgot I got this from you! I'm going to give it a try after the West Michigan Bead Expo.... After that I have all the play time in the world

TTFN, Dawn

Old 2007-10-03, 8:30am

I haven't had time to try the stuff either but will after the expo. I have been dying ribbons and getting my display ready for the show.

Old 2007-10-03, 9:01am
MacGalver

Smile

Tracy if you are still willing to share, I'd be very happy to buy a few feet of this from you. I too am curious but not sure I want to buy a whole spool! It's such an interesting idea.... will the fiber sleeving you got fit over a 1/16" mandrel?

Jo
Old 2007-10-03, 9:25am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlartist View Post
Tracy if you are still willing to share, I'd be very happy to buy a few feet of this from you. I too am curious but not sure I want to buy a whole spool! It's such an interesting idea.... will the fiber sleeving you got fit over a 1/16" mandrel?

Jo
Hi Jo,

I just fit the fiber over the 1/16th about an hour ago without a problem

Now using it will be the problem, lol..... I'll let you know how it goes

Dawn

Old 2007-10-03, 12:42pm

Here is a link to Slumpys.com
http://www.slumpys.com/SlumpysStore/...175VGH175.aspx
Its called Fiberfrax rope, $3 a foot. When you get it, seperate it and use as needed.

I put a drop of glue on the end and thread it thru holes with no trouble.

I also purchased Rocio's bracelet slumping form and mandrel. They are fantastic.

You can get the great results with the Stainless Steel Kiln (small) Bracelet Forms too.

Hope this helps
di