No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-01, 8:25pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Default How do you use shards?

To get that wrinkly organic look? Is there a tutorial for that somewhere?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My name is............. Deb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-09-01, 8:28pm

All you do is lay it down and it will crinkle up I just heat it slower and let it go all over and do what ever. If you want it smoother then then just smooth it down as you go

Old 2008-09-01, 8:46pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Thank you Lori!
I have shards that I'm dying to try.
I just don't want to waste them....LOL

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-09-01, 8:54pm
passionate about pets

I have some Raku shards i have been wanting to try too.....i did once but i had to melt them all the way in cause i had no clue how to use them....mind you i had no clue about heat control.....i am a bit better now with my heat control (not just molten or cool....LOL)
I should get them out and try them again... thanks for the tips

good luck with your shards Frogsongstudio

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2008-09-01, 9:00pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Thanks Storm, you too! I'm going to try some tomorrow. I'll post and show them if they turn out halfway decent.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-09-02, 5:21pm
Oooooh Sparkly!

This came at the perfect time, I was going to start a thread about this. Does anyone have a list of people selling 104 shards ? I love the look and would like to try this. I have heard of people making thier own, does anyone have a tut on how to do this? Thanks in advance, Lili
Old 2008-09-02, 5:26pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Lili, try here.

http://www.glassgirl.com/shards.html

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-09-03, 5:22am
boro color bender

I sprinkle them on my cereal.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-09-03, 5:55am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
I sprinkle them on my cereal.

mmmmm Yummy! Then you don't need to add any sugar do you...?
Old 2008-09-03, 6:35am
One Crazy Mama

Janet's Glass usually has them but she is recovering from an injury but keep watching! her combo's are yummy! her shards are so thin and easy to use!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5514404

Carol's glass creations is another shop i buy from, she has some awesome silver colors and i recently bought intense black, EDP and copper green shards from her
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5203647

and Purple Lily designs, unique shards that make awesome beads! i was happily surprised with what i pulled from the kiln! i only have 3 kinds from her but plan to buy more
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5183028

and yes, i have a shard addiction

Last edited by coyotesfamily; 2008-09-03 at 6:46am.
Old 2008-09-03, 6:47am

I love Janet's shards because they are so thin. One way to apply them is to heat the surface of the bead and just lay the shard on that heated area. The shards are thin enough that they will melt as they touch the bead.

Old 2008-09-03, 9:06am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance_1 View Post

mmmmm Yummy! Then you don't need to add any sugar do you...?
I still add sugar, but shards don't get soggy... except EDP... they are problematic as usual.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-09-03, 9:51am
Lover of Life

Exactly how thin are shards? I was trying to blow a vessel the other day. It was going well, then I guess I blew too hard, and the glob of glass inflated into a sausage, kind of like a balloon animal. It was cool! I broke it, and the pieces looked like plastic wrap, they were so thin. Then bits of them started floating around my room, and I had to evacuate, so as not to eat or inhale them. I'm assuming shards are not this thin...?

Becky

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2008-09-03, 10:21am
One Crazy Mama

no not that thin....but they do have some "bend" to them...but again definately not that thin...scary!!!

Old 2008-09-03, 2:44pm

I love to use shards. I have some from Janet and Carol.

Here are some beads I made using them.

A cat with a terranova 2 shard

Turquoise hexagons set with mystic pink shards

Debbie
Old 2008-09-03, 2:56pm
Oooooh Sparkly!

Thanks so much, I bought some from purple lily yesterday. This will be fun to play with.
Lili
Old 2008-09-03, 2:58pm
Oh No You Didn't!

I love EDP, so if you don't want that soggy mess, and I'm sure you don't, you can send all yours to me!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
I still add sugar, but shards don't get soggy... except EDP... they are problematic as usual.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon