Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-05-20, 5:02am

Talking What size Air Conditioner??

Who lives where its hot and humid?
What size air condioner do you have? Shed size is 10 by 12= 120 sq ft
We framed walls yesterday and are adding siding today.
Help, Lol, MarieAnn
Old 2007-05-20, 5:27am

I would think that you could get by with a small 5000 btu window unit. You might want to bump it up to 8000 btu though if you do not have good insulation. Also if your return air isn't rigged so that it is coming in right where your torch is, you might really lose a lot of the AC. That is why I am looking at doing an semi enclosure for our new glass area and routing the fresh air duct through the bottom of the bench. I don't want to be bringing Texas summer air into the main part of the shop and exhausting all my nice AC air out the fan.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-05-20, 12:16pm

Good luck MarieAnn. I haven't shopped for a/c's in a while to know the best btu rates by square footage, but I wanted to reinforce Paul's suggestion of including really good wall insulation throughout. It will really help in both heating and cooling for your comfort, and cost savings.

Have fun with the new spaces, both of you! Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-05-21, 5:59am

Thanks Paul and Val,
I should have provided the hight too. Wall insulation will be R 19. No skimping there. I am not sure of ventilation system yet. I will have make up air directly under torch table so hopefully that will just push up and out fumes to the exhaust fan. Will be serching Grainers site. And the saftey section for specs.
Thanks for the suggestions, MarieAnn
Old 2007-05-21, 6:25am

I am in Austin, Texas so I get a lot of humid nasty weather. Get the biggest one you can afford. Regardless of where you put your air intake you are going to lose a lot of your nice cool air up your vent, so I believe in going with some serious overkill in the btu area. Also, if you can, have it set up so that you are sitting between the a/c unit and the vent. That way at least you get to feel a little of it as it is getting sucked away. Just remember, just because you have a big a/c unit doesn't mean that you have to max it out all the time, but it is nice to have that option. Don't forget that your kiln will add a lot of heat to your area as well. My shop is 10x16 and the 4000 btu unit I have doesn't help much. I recommend going with an 8000-10000 btu unit if you can. The other option is to get one of the portable units that have the dryer hose attachment for the excess heat. I know somebody who has one of these and rolls it up right behind her chair. It really helps keep her cool down here in Austin. The rolling ones are a little expensive though.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-05-21, 7:16am

Hey Eric,
Thanks for the post! I am glad you clarified that the exhast system will move more than fumes, etc cold air.
Question if I put the air cond blowing on me will that move my flame around/or shock the glass? The studio ceiling will be 8 Ft high and I didn't think that my DH was framing the wall that high, ha, ha. I want the roof pitch that high. I made a lumber run and when I got back that wall was done. He insisted that I would use all of that space. Now wonder I figured the lumber wrong when I made the order. Thats alot of space to air condition. I am glad to be getting a studio, Yeah. I am outside under a tent and drag everything out to torch.
I do get to run in the air conditioned house to put my beads in the kiln.
Lol, MarieAnn
Old 2007-05-21, 7:29am
Gentleman of Leisure

There are trick solutions on how to AC/ventilate a room and not loose all your cool air...
Check this graphic out to see how its done...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...opic.php?t=150

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-05-21, 12:50pm
Dazed and Confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
I am in Austin, Texas so I get a lot of humid nasty weather. Get the biggest one you can afford. Regardless of where you put your air intake you are going to lose a lot of your nice cool air up your vent, so I believe in going with some serious overkill in the btu area. Also, if you can, have it set up so that you are sitting between the a/c unit and the vent. That way at least you get to feel a little of it as it is getting sucked away. Just remember, just because you have a big a/c unit doesn't mean that you have to max it out all the time, but it is nice to have that option. Don't forget that your kiln will add a lot of heat to your area as well. My shop is 10x16 and the 4000 btu unit I have doesn't help much. I recommend going with an 8000-10000 btu unit if you can. The other option is to get one of the portable units that have the dryer hose attachment for the excess heat. I know somebody who has one of these and rolls it up right behind her chair. It really helps keep her cool down here in Austin. The rolling ones are a little expensive though.

I have a studio that is a room off my garage with a door to the garage and one outdoors. I have one mid sized 5000 btu a/c installed in the garage entry door. We put in a cheap wood door and cut a hole in it. It vents out to the garage. I have another HUGE a/c on a cart directly behind me. I havent had any problems with the a/c on the cart...the heat from the exhaust blows behind a set of shelves and away from me. I run one during spring and fall and both durning the summer. Houston gets hot and humid.

Another way to kill the heat is to make a box that extends down from your vent. I torch on a 10ft folding table. My husband built me a box with my vent hood on top that sits on the table. It has plexiglass walls so I have light and can see -- My tv is front of it, LOL. I have a thermometer with dual controls and it will stay 80 degrees outside my box and upwards of 130 degrees near the vent. The box has been my lifesaver during summers.
Old 2007-05-21, 1:37pm

Hey Everyone,
Great minds must think alike. I have searched the saftey forum for proper specs on the right size Exhaust fan / and the matching make up air replacement (thingie) coming from the outside 10 feet away from exhaust being expelled.
How are the box enclosures measured to firgure the proper CFM needed?
length X width X heigth = then divide by 144 to equal Sq Ft
100-125 CFM to be moved per sq ft,
So sorry getting stupider by the minute, Maire Ann

Last edited by beadgirl; 2007-05-21 at 5:47pm. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 2007-05-21, 1:47pm

You would measure the area of the opening. If the box goes to the table on the back and sides, you would measure the height of the opening and multiply that by the width of the opening. Then multiply this number by 80 or 100 depending on the person's numbers you follow to get the CFM rating of the fan you will need.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-05-21, 2:36pm

I'm in FL

We built my studio, good insulation in place. My room is like 15 by 15. There are shelves for house hold storage, but that's only a 15 by 2 section of the room.

I've got a 5000 BTU unit, I think. It's on one side of the room, my torch is on the other with my vent pulling right above my torch. Yes, the breeze can and does sometimes move the flame around, but no shocking glass issues. AC isn't *that* cool, though it would be nice in high summer, LOL.

The vent will eventually pull out all the cool air, or at least so that you can't feel a difference. In high summer, I'm usually turning on the AC for 2+hours prior to torching, torching for a few hours until it gets really hot, then vacating and possibly coming back a few hours later if I leave the AC on to recool the room down. Of course, when it's cold, I'm turning on the kiln and opening it for a couple of hours, LOL.

I batch anneal, so I don't have to have the kiln vs AC fight.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2007-05-21, 4:08pm
Formerly SirWatson

I'm getting a portable air conditioner (it's on wheels like an oxycon), so I don't have to put in a window unit. It's been ordered and is currently on it's way!

Here's a link to the one I'm getting:

http://www.qualitymatters.com/SNO-10.../qmarc-10d.htm

Good luck!

<><
Old 2007-05-21, 4:12pm
Colors outside the lines

This time of year, Costco and Sam's usually have a couple of different models of the portable A/C's at decent prices.
Old 2007-05-21, 5:18pm
Leisabeads

I live in Florida also and my studio is about the same size as yours. I have a regular wall shaker type unit - I would have to go check the BTU's - but it keeps the shed very cool ( although my shed is insulated). The only thing is, I would set my torch table- or air unit - in a different place if I had it to do over again because it blows my flame when I have it on. Hope this helps! ~Leisa
Old 2007-05-21, 6:01pm

Karla, That is way cool, no pun intended. Wow, u can move it where ever you need it. Eric had suggested that kind. Keep us posted on how this works out for you.
Have to check out Sam's club too.
Leisa, thanks for the insight. Unfortunately the walls are framed in and attached to the sub floor and can not be moved now.One opening left for the AC. LOl, MarieAnn
Old 2007-05-22, 7:27am

I live in the Houston area and have a 10 x 12 TuffShed with insulated walls. My AC is 5000 BTU which is not nearly enough. My torch and vent are on the back wall with vent above, AC on left, window by door opposite the torch,cracked for make-up air. I have to angle my AC vents and block part of them so my flame does not move around. I am on a Minor with Oxycon. I turn on the AC early to cool the room and by the time I have worked a couple of hours, I have to quit or open the door. I plan on buying a portable AC to add to the other one. On the other hand, during the winter it is great because the kiln and torch add enough heat so you don't need anything else. Post pictures when you are finished!

Old 2007-06-06, 6:55am

Thank you everyone who took the time to look and espically respond!
After much thought and terrific input, I ordered the one Karla Sir Watson recomended from www.qualitymatters.com
Thank you Renee Hall.
SNO 10000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Stainless Steel ARC 10D
This is a beast on wheels, and best yet I can move it to where I need it.
Even it it just keeps my back cool. Lol, MarieAnn
Old 2007-06-06, 8:20pm
Formerly SirWatson

Woo hoo! We've got matching A/Cs!

I hope you got your order in before they wen't out of stock! Man...those things sell fast! I had to wait a few weeks before the one I ordered came in stock.

<><
Old 2007-06-07, 6:02am

Hey Karla,
Yes, they were out of stock and had to wait 2 weeks. But at that price even with shipping it is a bargin.
You are my hero!! We added shingles this weekend, I was fine till edges came in to play. Do not like to peek over edges when up that high. Think I got blisters from putting a death grip on the hammer. You made it look to easy. Lol, MarieAnn

Last edited by beadgirl; 2007-06-07 at 6:04am.
Old 2007-06-19, 6:15pm

I got a 5,000 btu last year at the end of the season at CVS (drug store) for like $79. I just stuck it in the window and leave it there all year. It gets hot in there in Indiana...sometimes I feel like cranking it up in January! Watch those end of the season sales.