Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2013-03-17, 11:40pm

Question Alpha 'v' Lynx

Hi,

I've been using a minor and make small-medium boro sculpture. I'm looking to create a lot of fine detail in my work too. I've found the minor to be very good, but just looking for something a little hotter (for the slightly larger work) and with the fine flame.

I've been trawling through the old threads and I thought I had decided on buying a Lynx, but have been swayed by a conversation with my supplier. They suggested an Alpha might be just as good, and the Lynx was 'the' torch when it came out, but, although good, is not as new technology anymore. Most of the threads talking about the Lynx that I have looked at are quite old...

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on these points?

*I was excited by the pin point flame the Lynx promised, but have been told the Alpha may be just as good.

*Some people have seemed disappointed by the Lynx (although everyone is different), is it more hype than is justified?

*People seem to say it has a penetrating flame, does it manage to heat a larger area evenly. (I've been used to the bushier flame of the minor for softly reheating work that may have cooled too much...)

*I haven't read that much on the Alpha. Do any of you have them and recommend them?

*Has anyone tried or owned both?

Last edited by juls mei; 2013-03-18 at 8:04am.
Old 2013-03-18, 12:07pm

Will you be using bottled oxygen, or an oxygen concentrator?

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2013-03-19, 3:26am

edit: Just noticed the part you mentioned your "supplier" said the alpha might be just as good as the lynx. That is only true, in my opinion, to a certain thickness. There reaches a point where the Lynx will heat a thicker mass a bit faster that the alpha will. The Lynx also has a bigger flame which can be dialed down to match the size and characteristics of the alpha's flame. Also I do believe that the Lynx flame is more penetrating.

Last edited by GlassAlias; 2013-03-19 at 3:39am.
Old 2013-03-19, 3:39am

Smile

Hi Malcolm,
I haven't decided but am looking into both options, depending on the torch I get. I'm quite wary of oxycon as there seem to be huge variations in people's reviews and they are not a cheep investment.

In general I have noticed that people seem to say the Lynx needs 2 concentrators or a larger generator set up. Although the Alpha seems to be fine with one, which could be a plus, because honestly who wants to deal with OHS of oxy cylinders if you can help it?

Do you have experience of either torch on tanked or oxycon?
Old 2013-03-19, 3:47am

Smile

Hi GlassAlias,

Thanks for the information. Do you own both, or did you just try them out? I wasn't aware that the Lynx has a bigger flame than the Alpha. I kind of had the impression it was the other way around? By bigger, do you mean wider, or longer, or both?
Old 2013-03-19, 4:15am

Both. Longer and wider. And i have owned both. Id still have the lynx but i sold it to get the bravo, which has the alpha as its center fire. Dont think the alpha is plenty hot. But you seem like your leaning towards wanting more heat faster and for that youll want the lynx.
Old 2013-03-19, 4:27am

That's funny! The person I spoke to had just swapped to the Bravo as well, from the Scorpion. What size work do you make?

I don't know if I want more heat faster. I just want a bit more heat than the minor and a flame that goes finer. I am a bit worried about it being too hot and penetrating.

Do you use an oxycon or tanked?
Old 2013-03-19, 4:45am

tanked on both torches. the lynx doesnt have to be hotter. you can get a very similar flame with it. but if you dont need that extra heat then go with the alpha and save some $$$.
Old 2013-03-19, 1:16pm
Alaska Boro

According to the "OXYGEN REQUIREMENTS FOR BENCH BURNERS" chart...

Lynx 7 LPM
Scorpion 11 LPM
Alpha 12 LPM
Bravo 31 LPM