No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-10-18, 7:12pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsongstudio
I would take a class from Mr.Smiley in a second if I could.

I'm betting there won't be many lampworkers wanting to teach a certain someone after this though.

And she said some of us were showing our "true colors"?

Boy oh boy!

And now back to the topic at hand, I say the tutorial should be shown.
If Chad doesn't do it, I will. I'm no gentleman!

Errr, Just as soon as I figure out how to do it...LOL Yes, I will do a "worry stone" tutorial. Then we won't have to "worry" about the name issue.

Well, I can't do it anyways. I don't have a torch right now. Well, I have a Tiger Shark, but you couldn't pay me to use it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-10-18, 8:08pm

At Glasstock someone (sorry not to remember who) showed everyone a technique that was taught in Italy. Off mandrel - decorate and flatten glass - - punty up - place on a piece of flat wood - jab a hole in it with whatever you want randomly - remove punty - fire polish - add to jewelry as desired.
Old 2006-10-19, 12:10am
Beady eyed

Excuse my ignorance, but i thought i heard somewhere that you shouldn't heat a tungsten pick directly in the flame or it would ruin it? or, is it that tungsten is the exception?
Old 2006-10-19, 1:45am
doyenne of the homebodies

People use tungsten because it can stand up to high temperatures without melting or sticking to the glass.

However, it will fume the glass if you're not careful.

Andrea
Old 2006-10-19, 1:45am
boro color bender

Jawjee... you can get a build up of yellowish fuming on it, But that just means you got it too hot. The yellow stuff can be sanded off for a good as new pick. Tungsten is one of the tools that will actually hold up to being in the flame. Tungsten is a great conductor of heat and will carry the heat along the shaft and transfer it into the glass, you are pushing the newly melted glass out of its way as you turn and push. This is why it works better to have the glass as warm as possible without it being soft. Less heat has to be transfered into it to get it to move out of the picks way.

I hear the fume from tungsten is really bad for you, so please use ventilation with this tech. People should always have good ventilation, but especially if your heating metals directly in the fire. Be safe!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-10-19, 1:46am
Goddess

Doh! nevermind, Andrea and Mr. S answered while I was typing...

Old 2006-10-19, 1:47am

LOL! Three simultaneous posts from us nightowls

Andrea
Old 2006-10-19, 1:47am
boro color bender

Also wanted to add that if it does fume the glass, it burns off really easy. You don't need the tungsten so hot it fumes... you really just want it to glow orange/red. You'll need it hotter for boro than soft glass. It takes some practice to get it right... but what in life doesn't?

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-10-19, 1:49am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreajane
LOL! Three simultaneous posts from us nightowls

Andrea
Yeah, but you were quickest. Mine locked up when I went to post and just came back.

I'm going to Chicago... I'm so excited. I have to carry on about 15 pounds of glass. My luggage is never under the limit when I get it packed that way I want. Then I start sifting through trying to figure out what I don't need. Clothes are always the first to go... all the glass and tools stay. Man, I'm a glass ho too!

Old 2006-10-19, 1:52am

I would SO be at your class if I could! But I'm doing a show in Iowa this weekend. I can get two dozen weekends in a row it seems like with no particular plans, and then two things I really want to do come along on the same date.

Nothing wrong with being a glass ho. Not even shoes are more important than glass. That's my story, sticking with it

Andrea
Old 2006-10-19, 1:55am
Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreajane
Nothing wrong with being a glass ho. Not even shoes are more important than glass. That's my story, sticking with it
Andrea
This is true, and in fact I am often barefoot

Old 2006-10-19, 1:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderCreek
This is true, and in fact I am often barefoot
ROFL! The Barefoot Glass Hos. Sounds like a band name. Well, sort of

Andrea
Old 2006-10-19, 4:26am
Who me?

I think that Val felt a little invaded and said so. I don't know if it was justified nor do I care.

I also think that on retrospect she has mellowed and said so - so let's quit picking on Val.

At least she has stuck around and not tucked tail and run. That says a lot to me about someone.

I think I'm gonna try to make some of them there thingies with holes in them but I don't have tung pick so this is how I would make them.

Hot blob on end of rod
Decorate
Melt in
Smash Flat
Melt end
Snip in middle of end to form a cleft foot (2 toes)
Smooth each one with heat keeping them apart
Smash
Melt and bring two toes together a the end
Maintain hole in thingie
Thansfer to punty or holder
Melt rod off
Melt smooth
Old 2006-10-19, 6:20am
Embracing My Wonkiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
You know what this thread needs?
More cowbell?

Would one be able to poke a hole into the melty goodness of hot glass with a graphite rod?
Would these hold up or snap and be a disaster? Just curious.

Lil
Old 2006-10-19, 6:23am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firelilly
More cowbell?

Would one be able to poke a hole into the melty goodness of hot glass with a graphite rod?
Would these hold up or snap and be a disaster? Just curious.

Lil
No. Graphite would be good to shape a hole, but you can't make a hole with it. You need tungsten.

Old 2006-10-19, 6:30am
Embracing My Wonkiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
No. Graphite would be good to shape a hole, but you can't make a hole with it. You need tungsten.
Good to know, Chad. Thanks!

Lil
Old 2006-10-19, 10:46am
On a good hair day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfotter
For anyone that wants to know........... all I do with my off mandrel beads is heat up the tungsten poker till it is glowing red, have the bead warm, not too hot........ keep the bead below the flame and keep the tungsten in the flame glowing and then I just push and twist the poker through the bead!

hope that this helps!
Andrea
You are too cool! I am taking a class from you in a couple of weeks. I am soooo excited!

Oops, edited to say, if you come anywhere near Texas Brent I'll be the first to sign up for your class!

Last edited by CalamitysClan; 2006-10-19 at 10:48am.
Old 2006-10-19, 11:12am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsongstudio
Uumm, no, she took it to PM's where no one else can see it.
She was so mad at me she couldn't even type straight. It took me a while to decipher it all but that's where I learned that Tungsten can put off toxic fumes. I think the gist of it was that she didn't give a crap if I got a tungsten pick and hoped I keeled over from the fumes.

Among other things.
She's not very nice.
Well, regardless of other facts, tungsten does give off toxic fumes when it gets too hot. You'll see it. Kind of a yellowish smoke coming off of it. If that happens, just take it out of the flame for a second.

Old 2006-10-19, 11:33am
HourGlass Studio

So the respirator you should use for fuming would be sufficient for the tungsten fumes or is the vent hood enough ???

Old 2006-10-19, 11:52am
Oh No You Didn't!

Thank you Chad. I'll be sure to be careful.
I do have a respirator. I guess it wouldn't hurt to be on the safe side and use it if it's needed.

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2006-10-19, 3:44pm

BTW wasn't this all demoed by Patty Frantz at the Gathering in summer '05? I think she was doing a mish mash of dichro and then poked it with tungsten. Or maybe it is on her video? Jeri
Old 2006-10-19, 3:53pm

I've seen a lot of instructors and demonstrators use a tungsten pick to make holes. But at the time I didn't realize I was "learning" something, I just thought I was watching an artist use a tool. To me it's like a marvering pad or tweezers -- you're just picking the tool you need for the job you want to do.

Andrea
Old 2006-10-19, 4:23pm

I think it must be the 'time of the year" or something.
I belong to a few beading and lampwork groups, and I really love how generous of spirit everybody is......usually! but for some unknown reason there have been little outbursts of 'ugliness' on more than a couple of forums in the last couple of weeks. I hope the change of season hurries up so we can all get back to normal.
regards to all from across the pond....
Terry
Old 2006-10-19, 4:45pm
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Mills
It's not like it's an ancient chinese secret or anything.
Hey, does anyone remember that old Calgon commercial? lol
I do now!

Old 2006-10-19, 4:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodTrailGlass
I do now!

ME TOO ME TOO!!!!!
Old 2006-10-19, 4:54pm
Type ZZZ personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Tungsten is a great conductor of heat and will carry the heat along the shaft and transfer it into the glass...
He said "shaft"!! He he he he he!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-10-19, 5:39pm
Still makin' flowers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticstudio
He said "shaft"!! He he he he he!
Oh no, Patty, you DIDN'T just go there!

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2006-10-19, 5:50pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

Who is Dave (he sells the picks) and where can he be found? K-
Old 2006-10-19, 5:54pm
I'm a lilac!

You can buy a tungsten pick from pretty much any full-line glass supplier. They come with a lot of starter kits, too. Lots of people already have one and may not even know it... most of them are about 6" of metal with a wood handle. If you have a pick like that and you're not sure what it's made out of, check with the supplier you got it from.

Old 2006-10-19, 5:55pm
I'm a lilac!

Like this:

http://snipurl.com/zu0j