Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-03-11, 2:31pm

Whoa, Mike what a beauty bead

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2008-03-11, 7:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I think that the descriptions of how these "Pleated Beads" are made in this thread should be enough for someone to make one. If not, then maybe one should get the book that explains it.
I had not seen one of these Pleated beads before I tried making one last tuesday. I read this thread and thought it would be fun to try.
I showed this in one of last weeks Gallery showcases.
Here's my version , its about 3" long which started from a 1/8" thick twistie:

Whoa....that is incredible!!!

~Triscia
Old 2008-03-11, 7:20pm

Talk about making it your own! Very nice!
-C
Old 2008-03-11, 7:25pm

Thanks for the nice compliments!
Old 2008-03-12, 8:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StOrM View Post
lara - if pleated beads are twisty beads....then what is your idea of a pleated bead?
I don't have any idea of a pleated bead until the last few years when people started calling them pleated, not twisty. I have been casing twisties for years.

The twisties you pointed out look like mostly clear cased ribbon twisties to me, but I probably just can't see them really close. This is why I asked the question above about what type of twisties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:

Last edited by Lara; 2008-03-12 at 8:37pm.
Old 2008-03-12, 9:11pm
passionate about pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I don't have any idea of a pleated bead until the last few years when people started calling them pleated, not twisty. I have been casing twisties for years.

The twisties you pointed out look like mostly clear cased ribbon twisties to me, but I probably just can't see them really close. This is why I asked the question above about what type of twisties.
Lara - I just pointed those out to kinda get some opinions......I have never made one of these beads (i have actually never made a twisty) I am still kinda new at this...i have maybe been at the torch 15 times if that. I am try to set up a studio in my house but this is going to take some time ( a fence in my backyard is first priority)..... I am unsure if you use clear with the twisty or if you just twist until you get deep ridges to separate the colors so you get the pleated look.

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2008-03-13, 9:36am
Ellyloo-YAH!

I think that what makes a PLEATED bead is that one of the colours IN the twisty should be a transparent or clear, so in this respect, it sort of looks like a ribbon cane, but it's not totally encased with a clear. this gets the ridges and the deep 3d look.

Twistie/stripe beads, it doesn't really matter if you have clear or not.

Old 2008-03-13, 11:57am

This photo shows two twisties I have used. The longer one is a little over 1/8" wide and was used in the bead, which is 1 3/8" long. It was made with a paddle of sky blue rather than white, with cobalt piled on one side of the paddle, transparent aqua on the other side (two transparents with opaque in between). I added a strip of green aventurine for sparkle. You can see that it is a very tight twist. I hope this helps a little! xiola
ps...-when making a twistie like this be sure to let the gather cool a little before tightly twisting and pulling or you will have a nicely draped bit of glass getting out of control. I use two mandrels in the process of making twisties.

Old 2008-03-13, 8:33pm
Dangerous Woman

Thank you thank you thank you Xiola! The twisties I was using looked nothing like those. I'll give it another shot.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-03-14, 1:35am

Default Pleated Bead

Thank you Xiola for the picture of the twisty.
Now i understand that the twist should be really tight,
Thats why my beads didn't have the 3d effect .when i tried to make a longer bead (DAH!!!!)
Thank you everyone for your generosity in sharing your knowledge.
Old 2008-03-14, 6:04am

Hey Guys, Vicki was kind enough to tell me about this thread, and I CAN tell you this much. I make my Zebra beads using the same technique , WITHOUT using clear on both sides of the lolly!

First importance is to make the twists TIGHT on your twisty. Next, put a small layer of CLEAR down on your mandrel, then apply your twisty by PUSHING it onto the clear base, don't let it stretch when applying it.

IF I used, for instance, a White base, then stacked Transparent DARK colors, you'd see a pleat instead of the black stripes! (Oh and you'd probably not want to make the clear encasing coat as thick as I have on the bead below)!
Hope this helps! I am running a twisty sale this weekend in the sales rack, if you want some twisties to try this with!
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=85400

Hugs
Lynnie

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:

Last edited by danelady; 2008-03-14 at 9:28pm.
Old 2008-03-14, 8:47pm
passionate about pets

very very beautiful.......

Lynnie - do you have to buy your twisties just in a bundle with the colors you see in the pictures? Or can you custom order colors you want? can you explain more on how to order your twisties?

*StOrM*

Old 2008-03-14, 9:08pm

Default Custom Orders gladly taken!

Hi Hon,
I usually recommend that you purchase at LEAST 20 twisties, to allow for safest shipping and arrival intact...I have had VERY few breakage problems following that policy over that last 2 years. I will ship as many as you like, but I always warn that they MAY break under 20 piece bundles.

If you take a peek at my website:
http://www.artemislampwork.com/twisties.htm

You'll see that you can custom order, OR let me choose for you, OR give me a "scheme" and let me run with it. Some people do go as far as ordering a specific color choice for every twisty, but that is rare, and SOMETIMES ends up costing more because they usually want reactive and handpulled colors ($2 per 8 inch piece), but I am ALWAYS glad to do that too!

When you check out (PAYPAL) there is a place where you can click to leave a note. Just tell me what you want and I'll do it! Email or PM me any questions and I'll gladly resolve tham! Make sure you mention MARCH MADNESS and order $30 or more to get my goodies this weekend!

Thank you!
Hugs
Lynnie
Quote:
very very beautiful.......

Lynnie - do you have to buy your twisties just in a bundle with the colors you see in the pictures? Or can you custom order colors you want? can you explain more on how to order your twisties?

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-03-14, 9:31pm

I made the twisties below, and they would be too thin to make a LARGE pleated bead, and probably not tightly twisted enough...JMHO
Quote:
lara - if pleated beads are twisty beads....then what is your idea of a pleated bead?

but i am still unsure on the thickness of the cane.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-03-14, 9:34pm

PAm and I are torching this weekend, I'll see if we can make a nice fat pleat twistie (for a LARGE bead) and I'll scan it for y'all!

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:

Last edited by danelady; 2008-03-14 at 11:05pm.
Old 2008-03-14, 9:46pm
passionate about pets

ok so to make a pleated bead you need:

a really tight twisty?
a really fat twisty?
and it should be made with no clear in it at all (opaque colors are prefered)?

correct me if i am wrong

*StOrM*

Old 2008-03-14, 11:04pm

Not nescessarily fat (depends on the size bead you want!) the bead I showed below was made with a 2mm B&W twistie and the bead is 6-7mm wide.

You DO need Transparent bracketing an opaque color to create the pleating effect (which I did NOT do in the bead below) Hope that helps.
Quote:
ok so to make a pleated bead you need:

a really tight twisty?
a really fat twisty?
and it should be made with no clear in it at all (opaque colors are prefered)?

correct me if i am wrong

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-03-15, 7:55am

Default Here's a "small" pleated bead

Hi, Storm,

Here's a picture of the bead I posted in the Tonbo Dama thread (in the tips section as I recall).

It's a small bead - probably about 15mm, and I made it with a "regular" size twistie - a regular twist, too. What's regular? LOL The twistie was about 1/8", and I didn't go to any heroic measures to twist tightly. I think the really tight twisting is a bonus for the long beads, but maybe not necessary for little beads. Of course I guess that depends somewhat on the look you're going for, too. This one was made with a white paddle, with trans amethyst on one side and trans topaz on the other. I DID encase the whole thing with clear, because that was my understanding from the book (I gave instructions for how I did this one in the thread referenced above).

These little buggers are addicting!

Pam
Old 2008-03-15, 8:17am
Dangerous Woman

Here is the link to the other thread on pleated beads. I read it last night and was pleasently surprized how informative it is. Lots of GREAT info!

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67739

Old 2008-03-15, 10:23am
passionate about pets

danelady - is it just easier then to use opaque colors to make a pleated bead?
yellow dog girl - thanks for the picture and information. anything helps with me right now
Playswithfire104 - Thanks for the other link i will go check it out.

*StOrM*

Old 2008-03-15, 10:52am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

The black and white zebra bead above doesn't look pleated to me, but I'm still rather bleary eyed this morning. The purple/amber one Pam posted has really defined pleats, to me.

What I'm wondering is what effect different base bead/disk colors have on the final effect.

I also want to say how much I like the pearlescent look of Mike H's pleats. MOP or Shampoo glass? Very nice!

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-03-15, 11:18am

Nope! Cuz then it's just a bead like mine down below! you want pleats, you gotta bracket the opaque with transparents!
Quote:
danelady - is it just easier then to use opaque colors to make a pleated bead?
<snip>.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-03-15, 11:19am

Nope you're correct Tink it Ain't! LOL I was using it, as I didn't have a pleated bead pic, to illustrate where you'd put the transparents to create the effect of pleats... Looks like I wasn't too successful, eh? LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
The black and white zebra bead above doesn't look pleated to me, but I'm still rather bleary eyed this morning. The purple/amber one Pam posted has really defined pleats, to me.

What I'm wondering is what effect different base bead/disk colors have on the final effect.

I also want to say how much I like the pearlescent look of Mike H's pleats. MOP or Shampoo glass? Very nice!

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-03-17, 7:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post

Thanks Tink!
The glass I used is just plain old Effetre clear with a twistie of white and two
transparent shades blue which I then encased with clear after I applied the twistie to the base disc.
Old 2008-03-17, 1:52pm

Hi everybody!
Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I had 2 shows on the last weekends, so I was too busy to do anything else. Thank you everybody for your nice comments on my video.

I recommend a twisted cane that is made this way:
1. Melt a blob of opaque white and mash it into a paddle. Square off the sides.
2. Paint a dark transparent color on 1 side of your paddle.
3. Paint another dark transparent color on the other side of the paddle.
4. Paint some clear on one side (no matter which).
Melt and then twist tightly. Don't make the cane too thin.

I don't encase the cane, but the clear in between the two dark transparent colors helps to create a beautiful 3D effect. Hope this helps.
Regards, Verena

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2008-03-17, 4:35pm

Ok, from all I've read, and seen pictures on this pleat bead, I have some in the kiln today! I only have one problem, well maybe only one... I cant get the pleats to get to the ends on the hole I will post them in Gallery tomorrow. I'm really excited.
Old 2008-03-17, 7:47pm
Dangerous Woman

Teena I'm really excited too! I think I "got it" today. A have a few in the kiln right now. I can't wait to see them tomorrow. My problem is getting both sides even. But I think that was addressed earlier in the thread I'll just have to go back and check. Thanks sooooo much for the pictures of the twisted canes! I wasn't using canes twisted as tight as I should have, the pictures really made everything else click!

Old 2008-03-17, 11:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teena View Post
Ok, from all I've read, and seen pictures on this pleat bead, I have some in the kiln today! I only have one problem, well maybe only one... I cant get the pleats to get to the ends on the hole I will post them in Gallery tomorrow. I'm really excited.
Hi Teena!
If you don't get the pleats from hole to hole, there is a trick shown in my video. After you encased the part of the bead where the cane is, you can add more clear to the sides (but be sure to put the clear only on top of clear, not on the basebead) and melt it in again. Repeat until the pleats have spread to the holes.
Regards, Verena

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2008-03-18, 7:06am

Default re the ends

As far as the ends.

1. add additional clear (on top of the first clear, but at the edges) and melt in.

2. also - read posts 40-45 of this thread: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...t=67739&page=2

these posts discuss holding your mandrel vertically to help the ends droop over the hole and fold the surface further up inside the bead. This suggestion has helped me with other kinds of beads as well.

Last edited by Vicki B.; 2008-03-18 at 7:09am.
Old 2008-03-23, 6:49pm
Does that shed?

I tried again today. Well not too bad but I didn't have enough colors in my twistie. And I might add it takes FOREVER on a hot head. lol. But I like it regardless. I'll try again tomorrow and hopefully will do a better twistie so it will show the pleats.